If you're like me, you have lots of Canon glass and a Sony A7 of some kind. I use the Sony A7R and the Sony A7S, both of which are great products with a few drawbacks like lens selection. I sometimes use Canon glass on the cameras, but I found the Metabones Adaptor III autofocused quite unreliably, although using it with the lens in manual focus has always worked just fine, especially for the tilt shift lenses.
Metabones has announced an updated version of the Canon to Sony smart adaptor. It is available for preorder and will begin shipping around July 17, 2014.
Features & Specifications
- True electronic integration of aperture diaphragm; lets camera automatically choose aperture in Program or Shutter Priority exposure modes, or set it manually on the camera body in Aperture Priority or Manual modes.The adapter is powered by the camera body, so no external power source is required.
- Two distinct operational modes are supported by the Smart Adapter IV: Green mode and Advanced mode. Green mode limits certain features and disables others in order to conserve the camera’s battery power.
- Wide-Open button enables aperture to remain open for clear manual focusing.
- Auto-Magnify/AF Assist enlarges the image in the viewfinder for easier manual focusing. This feature requires the AF/MF switch of the Canon EF mount lens to be set to the MF position and also requires a Canon EF mount lens that supports distance information. Auto-Magnify/AF Assist is disabled in Green mode.
- High performance 32-bit processor and efficient switched-mode power supply.
- Compatible with Sony E-mount full frame cameras such as the Sony A7, A7R and A7S. The Mark IV adapter supports auto “APS-C Size Capture” with EF-S lenses as well.
- Supports distance and zoom display on VG and FS series camcorders and auto magnify on lenses that support distance information
- Compatible with select fully manual lenses which have no electrical contacts.
- Both camera-side and lens-side of the adapter are made of brass, precision-machined and plated with chromium.
- Precise fit and solid connection – lens has no play, gap or wiggling when mounted on adapter and no adjustments are required to fit your lens.
- Designed to reach infinity focus while maintaining the correct registration distance required to maintain optical quality of CRC lenses or lenses with floating elements.
- Metabones uses matte-black treatment to keep internal reflection to a minimum in order to maintain the maximum optical quality possible with the lens.
- Satin surface finish matches lens and camera mounts.
- A third party zoom lens may need to be registered with the Smart Adapter first in order to detect its maximum aperture. Autofocus is disabled for most third-party lenses.
- Only Canon-branded lenses introduced in or after 2006 are officially supported. Autofocus may be disabled for older Canon lenses and most third-party lenses, including most Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses and all Contax N lenses modified by Conurus.
- The adapter’s tripod foot is detachable and compatible with Arca Swiss-style Quick-release heads.