Here’s a patent we missed that appeared in Japan and was reported by Northlight Images. This is a 18-105mm f/4-5.6 With Built-in Telconverter, which isn’t a big departure, expect that the TC is to make the wide angle, wider!
At 18mm, the lens is f/4, but with the TC engaged, the lens becomes a 15mm f/3.3.
- Focal length 18.40 37.44 104.0
- Aperture 4.00 4.64 5.89
- Half angle of view ω (degree) 36.59 20.04 7.48
- Image height 13.66 13.66 13.66 (APS-C)
- Lens total length 149.30 165.77 191.31
Wide-angle TC added
- Focal length 15.40
- Aperture 3.35
- Half angle of view ω (degree) 41.57
- Image height 13.66
- Lens total length 149.30
This is definitely an interesting concept and it’s likely we’re going to see some pretty innovating lens designs from Canon in the future.