Another patent for the already announced Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM has been spotted. This should further confirm that the lens is telescopic and isn’t an internal zoom. This is a slightly different than the RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS patent posted back in January.
- Focal length: 72.00mm~ 134.99mm ~ 194.94mm
- F number: 2.91 ~ 2.91 ~ 2.98
- Angle of view: 16.73° ~ 9.11° ~ 6.33°
- Image height: 21.64mm
- Lens length: 172.73mm ~ 219.96mm ~ 231.71mm
- Back focus: 14.37mm ~ 18.40mm ~ 28.12mm
When looking at the length of a lens in a patent, you need to remove the flange distance from the equation. In the case of the RF mount, that is 20mm. This makes the RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM 152.73mm long, which makes it almost 2 inches shorter than the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM. You also would have to account for the length of the EF to RF adaptor if you’re using the EF version of the lens on your EOS R, which would make the native RF mount lens nearly 3 inches shorter.