Canon has filed an optical formula patent for a Cinema EOS 37.5-100mm f/3.3 Anamorphic lens.
Patent Publication No. 2016-57445
- Published 2016.4.21
- Filing date 2014.9.9
- Zoom ratio 2.67
- Focal length 37.5 56.2 100.0
- F-number 3.3 3.3 3.3
- Half angle of view (degrees) 11.49 7.72 4.36
- The image height 7.62 7.62 7.62
- The total lens length 259.95 259.95 259.95
- BF 38.25 38.25 38.25
- Anamorphic optical system
What is an anamorphic lens?
Anamorphic lenses are specialty tools which affect how images get projected onto the camera sensor. They were primarily created so that a wider range of aspect ratios could fit within a standard film frame, but since then, cinematographers have become accustomed to their unique look. This article discusses the key considerations with anamorphic lenses in the digital era.