|This site contains affiliate links to products and services. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.|
All predictions are based on rumors I have received
So what is Canon giving us next week? A lot of people want the world, unfortunately I don’t see it happening.
So what will be launched?
Canon Rebel 500D
Possibly a jogwheel added to the body.
What’s not coming?
We will not see a new 1 series body. End of 2009 perhaps? It’s been suggested it could be early 2010 before we do.
As pointed out by a reader, 2010 is a winter Olympic year as well as the World Cup. There SHOULD be a new 1D for those events.
I think the community is more interested in what lenses are rolling down the pipe. I’ll put the rumors in order of likelyhood.
EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM
– We’ve seen the 50L launched and upgrades to the 14mm and 24mm L’s. This is a logical next step.
TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
– It’s generally accepted the current lens has been discontinued. I reported it could be f/2.8, I think it’s more likely to be 3.5 because of design limitations.
Don’t be shocked if a 2nd focal length Tilt-Shift is launched.
EF 100-400 f/4-5.6L II IS
– The Canon community wants this lens pretty badly. I just don’t think it’s coming. Kinda hope I’m wrong.
EF 24-70 f/2.8L II IS
– Possibly the most sought after lens Canonites are lusting after. Match Nikon’s optics and add IS? You’d have a massive sales success. It almost wouldn’t matter what it cost.
EF 50 f/1.4 II
– Heard various reports about low stock of this lens. A couple of places have said they can’t get them anymore. I’ve heard nothing concrete, nor would I really understand replacing this lens at the present time. Possible that they’ll just dump it and replace it with an EF-S 35? I’ve heard that theory before.
One or two of the big white lenses gets redone. I wouldn’t be shocked to see the 300 and 400’s get version II’s. However, that’s more likely to happen in 2010.
EF 17-40 f/4L II
– I don’t think Canon needs to replace this hot selling lens just yet, there are too many other lenses that people want follow-ups to.
EF 150 f/2.8L IS Macro
– I never reported on this lens because it seemed way far fetched. It makes sense to make a lens like this, I just don’t think now is the time for it.
EF 24-105 f/4L II IS
– There’s bee murmurs about this lens for a year or so, nothing substantial has come of it yet. I think the current one sticks around forÃ‚Â a while. People would go crazy if they upgraded this and left the 24-70 alone.
From Left Field
A new wide angle prime in the 17mm-21mm range.
– There’s been a few people around the web talking about such a thing. Even a comment on this site. It’s a great idea, nothing concrete.
– I’ve received no information about a new EF-S lens at this time. Will Canon suprise and follow what Nikon just did with a new 35 for crop cameras? Possible.
– I think a new small flash makes a ton of sense for Canon. You put flash shoes on the G, S and SX cameras, and don’t give the people a viable option for a small flash that can bounce? Seems poorly thought out to me. Nikon has one, why doesn’t Canon?
– I reported the possibility of a higher end flash from Canon. I think it’s out there and more likely to be launched with a 1 series camera.
Expect the following PowerShots to be replaced.
Expect more of the same type of upgrades from Canon for the above cameras. I’m not sure we’ll see a direct replacement of either the 580 or 590.
We’ve received a bunch of information about a waterproof/shockproof camera finally being launched. There’s also been a bit of information about a possible new CMOS camera being launched at PMA.
Canon have any surprises in store?
If they do, they’ve hid it extremely well. I don’t think this is the time for Canon to pull a rabbit out of a hat. We all hope I’m wrong with that assessment!