Canon has been forced to remove copy protection chips to their toner cartridges in some regions. It's obviously more important that customers can print, than the copy protection for Canon's benefit.
Canon.de support has said that cartridges for a lot of ImageRunner series multi-function printers will be affected. For now, only toner cartridges are affected and ink-based cartridges will continue to have the chip.
Customer experience will be affected by this decision, as the Canon driver software will give users a warning about not using “genuine Canon toner”. There is a workaround if you're affected by this issue.
Depending on the model of MFP that you have, you will be required to click, I agree, close, or press OK in the right spots to bypass the warning.
It should also be mentioned, that chip-less toner cartridges will not be able to do page counts. Which means you won't get any toner level warnings.
These chip-less toner cartridges will still have the same capacity and print quality.
Please visit Canon Germany for more detailed information.
- imageRUNNER 2625i / 2630i / 2645i
- imageRUNNER ADVANCE 4525i / 4535i / 4545i / 4551i, II and III
- imageRUNNER ADVANCE DX 4725i / 4735i / 4745i / 4751i
- imageRUNNER ADVANCE DX 6000i
- imageRUNNER ADVANCE C255i / C355i / C355iF / 356 / C256RUN and III
- imageRUNNER ADVANCE DX C257i / C357i
- imageRUNNER C3125i
- imageRUNNER C3226i
- imageRUNNER ADVANCE C3520i / 3525i / 3530i, II and III
- imageRUNNER ADVANCE DX C3720i / 3725i / 3730i
- imageRUNNER ADVANCE DX C3822i / 3826i / C3855i /
5540i / 5540i / ADVANCE 50 , II and III
- imageRUNNER ADVANCE DX C5735i / 5740i / 5750i / 5760i
- imageRUNNER C1325iF / 1335iF
- imageRUNNER C3025i
- imageRUNNER ADVANCE C250i / 350i / C351iF
- imageRUNNER ADVANCE C3320i / 3325i / 3330i