2009 will probably bring an update
If Canon sat you down and wanted your ideas on what you want to see in the next 1D, what would you say?
As a user of a 1D3, which I think is a remarkable camera and competes very well with the D3. Having used both before buying one, I chose the camera with the better IQ below ISO 3200/6400. There were a few other factors that went into the purchase decision as well.
I've said here before, I've never had an issue with the AF.
My Wants in my next camera (yeah, I'll buy one)
- A 2nd joystick — For AF points selection when shooting vertically.
- Full Frame — I've gone back and forth on this, the only reason I want it full frame is so I don't have to get a 24 to replace my 35. There's been a few times the 35 hasn't been quite wide enough on the 1.3 crop. Would I be upset with a 1.3 crop again? Absolutely not.
- 12mp tops — Please, please, please! I'm happy with my memory cards and I'm more than happy with the resolution and print results from the camera. I'm not holding my breath on this.
- Quieter Silent Shutter Mode — It's quiet now, be nice to be Leica rangefinder quiet!
- Dual CF — I would use it, I never use the SD slot.
- Improve IQ at “normal ISO” — ISO 25,600 is fantastic and all, but if I have to choose where I want IQ improvements to go, it's definately in the 100-1600 range. This is where 90% of my shots are taken. I want the best sharpness, color and dynamic range Canon can produce at these ISO's. I do not want any of that sacrificed so we can have ISO 102,400. If they can do both…. I'm down with that.
What's not on my list?
For one reason or another, the following things I don't really care about.. or I expect to be on the next camera.
- Improved LiveView AF — The only time I've used LiveView is because I want critical manual focus done and exposure simulation.
- VGA LCD — It'll be on the camera, but honestly… I didn't find it of much use on the D3. I know if an image is in focus or not with a standard LCD. It's pretty to look at though, and by no means am I against it.
- More AF Points — I've never once wished I had more, I generally only use the outside ring anyway. What I do like about the 1.3 crop is the AF point spread coverage, I found the D3's AF points to be really crammed into the middle of the frame. If they do go Full Frame with the 1D, I'd like better spread.
- Movie Mode — Ask me about this after I play with a 5D2. I'm not sure how I'd work this into my business. Not so much would people want it, but how the heck would I do it and not miss great still moments? The other thing? I really hate editing movie files!
- More FPS! — 10 was fantastic when I am shooting sports stuff, more? Whatever… just more editing.
So what would you like to see?