Got my parents a 600D for xmas and my initial take on it
- quite plasticy build (lightweight so my mum is happy)
- flippy screen is great, makes taking low angle shots nice and easy. cant really see my parents diving around on the ground chasing angles
- built in flash control works well, needs line of sight but had it firing my 580s in a few minutes, really quick to set up. pretty cool.
- IQ same as the 60D and 7D takes pretty good shots when i whack some L glass on it. looks quite funny with a 70-200 or 300mm hanging off the front of it
- AF about the same as th 5D2 so nothing to write home about but fine for their uses
- Controls not bad to use I prefer the dials and joystick of higher end models
all up for the cheap price its quite a lot of camera that is'nt too shaby with the 18-55 kit lens perhaps once they get the hang of it all they might move up to the 17-55 f2.8 but for now they are happy with the kit lens.
I would imagine the 650D will improve on a few things. new sensor maybe
for the money though the 600D is pretty decent IMO