I think you may have missed my point. I certainly think that in many cases high end gear is needed, and I can see perfectly where you are coming from. I was simply commending John for having the maturity to take assessment of his needs and adjusting his kit accordingly. I don't think the 6D is a better camera than the 5DIII. I do think for certain applications the 6D is better, and for other applications the 5DIII is far superior.
We are in agreement. The thing that set me off was the ego thing, which I don't think is very often the case when people get into buying the more costly gear. It really is a LOT of money, a scary lot of money sometimes, and you have to really weigh the options, the longevity, how that all fits in with your goals, etc. I spent a very long time, well over a year, debating whether to buy the 300/2.8 II or the 600/4 II. I rented both, and other lenses like the 500/4 II, 300/4, 400/5.6, etc., gave all a very thorough try, evaluated the options, my primary goals vs. my secondary goals. Then I waited. I couldn't really justify $13,000, but when I saw it for $10,860 on a Canon store...I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy the 600/4, which was really, truly, what I had decided I NEEDED to help move my photography in the direction I wanted...long term. (Very long term...25-30 years long term, really. )
I also did not mean to imply you personally stated the 6D was better. Simply that it has been stated that the 6D is better, even matter-of-factly, simply because its sensor produces less color noise and slightly less luma noise at high ISO. I think it is those kinds of statements that turn a healthy debate into one of reality vs. dreamworld, and things get more heated.
hello both (and to the rest of the community).
I would like to take advantage of your experience regarding a 6D related decision I have to make (in order to avoid opening a new thread)
UP to now I have 5D2 and 5D3. I may have the opportunity to get a cheap 6D (I will have it on my hands in a few months actually but the decision has to be mad this ... cyber week!)
I plan to put 5D2 on sale. Being an amateur I can afford to have one body (my 5D3) for a few months.
Now I am a little sentimental in letting my 5D2 go and at the same time I am a little put off but the different (and worse in my opinion) 6D layout.
But a second 5D3 would cost 1000 euros more!
I use my 5D2 mostly for landscape work and my 5D3 mostly for portraits (where the AF points of 5D3 come very handy) and astrophotography. But when I need all of the above (like 2 weeks ago) it's 5D3 of course.
To sum up I consider 3 options:
1. Keep them as is (5D3,5D2) (Simplest I do nothing, this is also the sentimental choice)
2. Get 6D and sell 5D2.
3. Get a second 5D3.
I believe the best solution (if price stays the same for tomorrow) is number 2 but I am a little sentimental regarding my 5D2 so solution 1 seems second best.
Thanks for your time and I hope this post is not considered off topic.