Rumors > Speedlites, Printers, Accessories

Where is this new flash?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Mt Spokane Photography:

--- Quote from: RC on October 15, 2012, 10:37:36 PM ---Also waiting for the new (440EX-RT) to pop up.  I'm sure its just a matter of time.   My guess is Canon wants to sell more 600s first or maybe its production capacity problems (6D production consuming all the resources...that damn 6D).

--- End quote ---
I doubt if they compete for resources at all.  If there is one coming out, it might be in January when they tend to introduce the less expensive equipment.  Just don't hold your breath.

gmrza:

--- Quote from: RC on October 15, 2012, 10:37:36 PM ---Also waiting for the new (440EX-RT) to pop up.  I'm sure its just a matter of time.   My guess is Canon wants to sell more 600s first or maybe its production capacity problems (6D production consuming all the resources...that damn 6D).

--- End quote ---

I know this doesn't help anyone who is on a budget, but if you are at all intending to use a speedlite on-camera, then it is worth considering the that 430EX(II) does not provide 360 degree rotation of the head - that has become a major drawback for me.  I doubt that will be fixed with a mythical 440EX-RT. - I am now having buyers remorse about the 430EX because of that fact.

What I'm wondering is whether anyone will launch a 3rd party receiver to use with a legacy speedlite - to make it possible to use a 430EX(II) or 580EX(II) with a ST-E3-RT.  That would save having to replace all our old Speedlites...

One thing is for sure - apart from the radio trigger, Canon has really made the menus on the 600EX-RT more usable.  The same goes for the ST-E3-RT.

RC:

--- Quote from: gmrza on October 16, 2012, 01:09:07 AM ---I know this doesn't help anyone who is on a budget, but if you are at all intending to use a speedlite on-camera, then it is worth considering the that 430EX(II) does not provide 360 degree rotation of the head - that has become a major drawback for me.  I doubt that will be fixed with a mythical 440EX-RT. - I am now having buyers remorse about the 430EX because of that fact.

--- End quote ---
I too was not expecting this when I bought my first 430EX II.  For me it was more of a problem with off-camera since it was more difficult to optically align it to the master.

--- End quote ---
No I really don't think the 6D is holding up production of the new flash, just had the urge to bash the 6D.

Jay Khaos:

--- Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on October 15, 2012, 10:33:00 PM ---I'd Skip the PW.  Too many issues with a third party unit.  With the Canon 580EXII, for example, it has a range of 40 ft max, unless you put the weird RF sock on it or pay to have the flash modified.

--- End quote ---

If you've heard of an issue with PW transceivers, especially one that outweighs the AF assist problems that Canon's top-of-the-line, ridiculously overpriced system has... Id like to know.

But... assuming both work perfectly as they should, and price is not a variable, I would still choose PW Plus III's over the canon radio system.  For me, the features are more useful.  Mainly these two:

1.  PW Plus iii has a pressure sensitive shutter trigger that can remotely trigger the shutter AND autofocus before doing so (I love that). Sure there are other alternatives to remote shutter release... but if you're considering the 600-series, I'm going under the assumption that you appreciate packing lightweight.

2.  Can be used with any off-camera strobe

Of course those are just my preferences though.  Is there any reason why the Canon radio trigger is better than a PW plus iii setup?  Other than saving on the few PWs that have to attach to the lights? 

AdamJ:

--- Quote from: Jay Khaos on November 26, 2012, 09:39:18 AM ---Is there any reason why the Canon radio trigger is better than a PW plus iii setup?  Other than saving on the few PWs that have to attach to the lights?

--- End quote ---

E-TTL II including group ratios
Remote setting of flash output
1st curtain, 2nd curtain, high speed sync
Flash exposure compensation / bracketing
Et cetera...

...all of which you can get from a different third party manufacturer for $90 per pair of transceivers, compatible with all Canon II flashes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version