July 26, 2014, 03:50:57 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 1.1.1 Now Available  (Read 9172 times)

Gcon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 1.1.1 Now Available
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 02:41:23 AM »
I notice on the splash page, http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS1DX_firmware, that the first lens listed as newly compatible with the 1.4x is the 70-300L. WTF? The two aren't physically compatible.  Does Canon want to boost service revenue by repairing broken elements?

Good pickup! Tell me this someone please. I have these two components - the Canon 1.4x III and the Canon 70-300L. Will anything break if I put them together?! I thought it was a physical limitation. Hmmmm. Hope Canon enable this functionality in the 5D3 if it can be done!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 02:41:23 AM »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 03:47:06 AM »
"... the new firmware allows cross-type autofocusing with the center AF point when the maximum aperture becomes as small as f/8."

Am I reading this press release wrong? Why only the centre point when users like Arthur Morris have found that the non-centre AF points work fine at f/8 with Kenko teleconverters? It seems that third party or contact taping might still be the preferred method for many users.  Surely all Canon had to do was to get rid of the protocol that disables AF beyond f/5.6 and warn users that AF might not be as reliable?

"I was able to toggle through the various AF Area Selection Modes. Then I pressed the edge of the newly designed joystick; stunned times three. Not only did the 1DX focus with the the Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 DGX 1.4x AF Teleconverter, I was able to move the active AF sensor." http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/page/3/

I should perhaps clarify that this is all based upon Art's blog entry; I have not bought his 1D X user guide (as I don't own a 1D X!).  Perhaps Art and Canon have different standards for AF reliability; maybe Canon are concerned about low light reliability, or possibly they are scared of bad publicity following the 1D(s) MkIII AF debacle?

messus

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 06:00:20 AM »
It's hard to even see it is blinking red when shooting in daylight :( - Even if set to bright... How annoying

Given the fact that Canon allready said this update would not please all, I think it is apparent a solid red follow-focus point in AI-Servo, is something we will never get on the 1DX, or the 5D3.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 08:05:34 AM by messus »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 06:11:59 AM »
I notice on the splash page, http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS1DX_firmware, that the first lens listed as newly compatible with the 1.4x is the 70-300L. WTF? The two aren't physically compatible.  Does Canon want to boost service revenue by repairing broken elements?

Good pickup! Tell me this someone please. I have these two components - the Canon 1.4x III and the Canon 70-300L. Will anything break if I put them together?! I thought it was a physical limitation. Hmmmm. Hope Canon enable this functionality in the 5D3 if it can be done!

It is a physical incompatibility, most of the time. If you zoom the 70-300L to ~250mm, the rear element moves forward far enough to mount the Canon 1.4x TC. In that case, with the new 1D X firmware, it will AF. If you zoom wider than 250mm after mounting the TC, the rear element hits the front of the TC protruding optics. Now...the very front of that protrusion is rubberized, so a soft bump will likely not break anything. 

Personally, I don't think it's worth the risk, and I think Canon was unwise to list it as 'supported' even if it's technically true, some of the time.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 06:25:08 AM »
It's har to even see it is blinking red when shooting in daylight :( - Even if set to bright... How annoying
I'd actually like the option for a beep while locked in AI servo, most of the time I'm outdoors when using it and some extra noise wouldn't be of concern on many occasions. Anyway I've only got a 5D3 so will have to wait to see if we get the same, no confirmation at all is pretty annoying...

WoodyWindy

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • On the road again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 06:27:43 AM »
So I updated mine and I'm not too sure about the Illumination. They didn't mention that it would flash and flicker. This is particularly annoying because the lcd overlay means the whole VF tints red slightly including the AF in lower right and the grid if you have that on.

I'm not sure now if i'll leave it enabled or not....

Yep.  I'm in the same boat.  I'll keep it enabled for a bit, but I may just turn it off.

Ah, actually, they did say exactly that...
Illumination is intermittent, not continuous
Though, I confess that it doesn't say exactly how intermittent... ;)

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 07:49:22 AM »
If i upgrade and don't like it, can I have it setup EXACTLY the same as with 1.0.6 ?
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 07:49:22 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 08:36:48 AM »
If i upgrade and don't like it, can I have it setup EXACTLY the same as with 1.0.6 ?

Firmware can be rolled back, with some effort.

But in this case, I think all you'd have to do would be to set the new 'AF point illumination during AI Servo' function to Off, and when not mount an f/8 lens + TC combo (or if you do, set the lens to MF).

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 10:33:57 AM »

Firmware can be rolled back, with some effort.

But in this case, I think all you'd have to do would be to set the new 'AF point illumination during AI Servo' function to Off, and when not mount an f/8 lens + TC combo (or if you do, set the lens to MF).

Thanks! Just upgraded, and it is strange with the blinking, but hey, I can se the point and that is the.. point?  ::) I think it's better, just takes some getting used to. Is it possible to have the point blink and not the whole VF?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 10:43:14 AM »
Thanks! Just upgraded...
Me, too.  I decided it's firmware update day, so I just did the 1D X, am about to do the 40/2.8 lens update, and my PowerShot S100 too.   :)

Is it possible to have the point blink and not the whole VF?
Not AFAIK.  The issue is that the AF point illumination works in a fundamentally different way than before.  FOcus screens with the AF points physically etched onto them could be more selectively illuminated, whereas the transmissive LCD overlay that allows the flexibility in the display also means the illlumination is spread across the surface of the LCD to some extent, which is why the whole VF appears to blink.

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 02:20:08 PM »
Thanks! Just upgraded...
Me, too.  I decided it's firmware update day, so I just did the 1D X, am about to do the 40/2.8 lens update, and my PowerShot S100 too.   :)

Is it possible to have the point blink and not the whole VF?
Not AFAIK.  The issue is that the AF point illumination works in a fundamentally different way than before.  FOcus screens with the AF points physically etched onto them could be more selectively illuminated, whereas the transmissive LCD overlay that allows the flexibility in the display also means the illlumination is spread across the surface of the LCD to some extent, which is why the whole VF appears to blink.

Thanks again! Awesome stuff. I wonder how many years it takes me to use the 1d X until it falls apart in pieces, but I'm going to find out this time, it will never be sold....

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
1DX Red AF Point fix
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 11:55:05 PM »
Now that the firmware update has been available for over 24 hours, can any 1DX power users post some real-world feedback on the Red AF Point "fix"?

Thanks in advance.

-PW

instaimage

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: 1DX Red AF Point fix
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 01:26:53 AM »
I came from two 7Ds so I'm used to the points being what they are... I tried it tonight during a night football game... I won't be using it... On AI Servo it flashes every time the camera refocuses... which is all the time on... so it's blinking all the time...  I don't move my focus points much so I'll leave it off... maybe if I get in a dark place it might come back on but until then... off is good for me.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: 1DX Red AF Point fix
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 01:26:53 AM »

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 04:37:46 AM »
After running some tests yesterday evening right after the firmware update I am leaving this red focus point highlight feature switched on. If you don't have to refocus constantly it is certainly a useful feature.

Elbows

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2012, 06:02:29 AM »
To those who have updated to 1.1.1, does the camera keep all your custom settings or do you have to change them all back to how you want them after upgrading. (or maybe you did an export/import of your settings first?)

Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2012, 06:02:29 AM »