October 25, 2014, 07:58:49 PM

Author Topic: How to work around Canon shipping restrictions at B&H  (Read 6656 times)

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
Re: How to work around Canon shipping restrictions at B&H
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 12:12:34 AM »
Today, equipment bought in Europe are covered by the warranty here, but not the US bought items. Hence, the risk has gotten higher, since you now have to ship the equipment to the U.S. if anything goes astray.

So if I live in Norway, take my camera with me to Los Angeles for a four week holiday and have an issue with it early on in the trip, I can't have it repaired under warranty at Canon service center in Irvine, California? (Irvine is part of the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area.) If so then that sucks. Rinse and repeat if I change the country in which I live within the warranty period of newly purchased Canon equipment.

Not sure if it goes that way. If you bought it in Norway, I am not sure what kind of warranty you would be covered under during your holiday. It is rather that for equipment bought in the US taken back to Norway that are not covered in Europe anymore (a thing they implemented two years ago to stop people from buying in the US).
1Dx, (7D II) 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 12:12:34 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 05:18:24 AM »
Today, equipment bought in Europe are covered by the warranty here, but not the US bought items. Hence, the risk has gotten higher, since you now have to ship the equipment to the U.S. if anything goes astray.

So if I live in Norway, take my camera with me to Los Angeles for a four week holiday and have an issue with it early on in the trip, I can't have it repaired under warranty at Canon service center in Irvine, California? (Irvine is part of the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area.) If so then that sucks. Rinse and repeat if I change the country in which I live within the warranty period of newly purchased Canon equipment.

Not sure if it goes that way. If you bought it in Norway, I am not sure what kind of warranty you would be covered under during your holiday. It is rather that for equipment bought in the US taken back to Norway that are not covered in Europe anymore (a thing they implemented two years ago to stop people from buying in the US).

So if I live in California, take my camera with me to Europe for a four week holiday and have an issue with it early on in the trip, I can't have it repaired under warranty at Canon service center Europe?

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 05:29:03 AM »

So if I live in California, take my camera with me to Europe for a four week holiday and have an issue with it early on in the trip, I can't have it repaired under warranty at Canon service center Europe?

I am really not sure. I know it was implemented to prevent us from buying in the US, but if you are a resident....?
1Dx, (7D II) 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

jthomson

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 07:17:27 AM »
Don't know if B&H will accept Canadian Credit cards.

Until yesterday I would have said that B&H was the most canadian freindly of US camera stores.
They had the lowest  shipping using Purolator ground and you didn't get dinged for custom brokerage fees as you do with UPS and Fedex ground.  They had no problem accepting a canadian credit card.

I tried to order a canon product yesterday from B&H and got the notice that they are now restricted from selling to Canada.

Ordered the product at Adorama  and am now eagerly awaiting  a 5D3 and 24-105mm.  Cost $3749 USD vs $3350 CDN for camera alone at Canadian internet stores.  BeachCamera was also still shipping to Canada  and were a few dollars cheaper but they were using Fedex and it wasn't clear to me if it was the one that included customs fees or not.

Don't know how long Adorama and Beach will be able to continue to ship to Canada, as CR says that Canon will be restricting all its authorized US distributors.

PhotoPrice

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 08:42:23 AM »
BeachCamera was also still shipping to Canada  and were a few dollars cheaper but they were using Fedex and it wasn't clear to me if it was the one that included customs fees or not.

Beach Camera ships to Canada with "International FedEx Economy", which does include all brokerage fees except for a bond fee (2.7% of tax owing, or $10, whichever is higher).

5D3 + 24-105 Kit

$3719.00 USD
+$46.40 S&H
+$0.00 Duty and Brokerage
+$12.05 Bond Fee (unless tax prepaid)
+$483.47 Tax (13%, assuming Ontario)
= $4223.73 USD

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »
Back when I got my 5d3 kit it was a wash to but it in Canada or from B+H. At the time it was $4549 + 13% tax for $5140.37 (they threw in an extra battery). At the time it was cheaper to get it through B+H but by the time you exchange the currency you typically pay a 2.5% commission it was a wash.

I would say it is the local Canadian retailers that are lobbying the manufacturers for protectionism.

Fr3lncr

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 08:32:53 PM »
I just ordered the 5DMKIII w 24-105 kit from the States.  After taxes and shipping, I'm saving $750 over buying it in Canada so in this instance, it was worth it.  Generally I find I save more money buying from B&H at least half the time but we do get some really great sales in Canada which makes it more advantageous to buy locally.  It pays to do a little research (photoprice, redflagdeals) before buying big ticket items and even small items for that matter... I can't buy anything without researching it to death and while it may be overkill, once I do decide to buy I rarely regret it afterwards.

This has also been discussed on fredmiranda forums as well and B&H has posted to contact them directly for help:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1158817/0#11053710

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 08:32:53 PM »

pardus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 11:11:17 PM »
I don't know if it is true in the camera industry but in many other industries of which I have first hand knowledge, US retailers wholesale price is frequently 10-20% cheaper then Canadian wholesale. This is usually directly related to Canadian distribution. The manufacturer restrictions are put in place to protect the Canadian retailer who just can't compete. Some larger ones volume discounts/buying groups  may put them in a position to compete but definately the smaller retailer cannot. What really needs to happen in many industries is the wholesale pricing needs to be the same in both Countries and there really isnt a reason that it shouldn't.

I used to own a skateboard and snowboard shop in Vancouver back in the 90's. Snowboarding was still in it's infancy and most companies sold direct to cdn retailers. We had a strong mail order business and could compete across north america on prices. Then as the industry grew, manufacturers looked to bring in cdn distributors. Canada was a small market and would rather just sell to a distributor and not have to worry about all the hassles of warranty, currency and what not of another country. Instantly our merchandise costs went up 20 to 30%, it was staggering. no longer could we compete with Mailorder in the states. There were actually some shops like CCS that I could buy stuff for the same price as my cdn wholesale. It's really ridiculous how hand cuffed our cdn retailers are and how they take the blame.

I try and buy local but at the end of the day, if it is significantly cheaper, I have to go with the best price. I was in my local camera store today buying some triggers and apologized to the Manager for buying my 5D at beach a few weeks back, I felt bad but told him it just didnt make sense to buy it Canada. He understood, he said he would of sold it to me at that same price if he could but it would be impossible.

I bet you if Canon mandated US and CDN wholesale to be the same, we wouldnt need them imposing cross border restrictions. I would be interested to hear from some cdn canon retailers.
5D MkIII | 7D | Bag of Lenses | Surfboards | Truck | Wife | Son | Dog | House | Life

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 10:08:39 PM »
Part of the situation is the country of issue for the credit card.  I would not give that to a 3rd party.  Don't know if B&H will accept Canadian Credit cards.

It's possible.  When in Cuba the stores (the few that take cards) will not accept credit cards from a US bank.  To use a credit card in Cuba, you have to show your passport.  What I don't know is, if the card will not approve, or if they won't accept it out of spite.  I'm Canadian, so I can't test it. 
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 10:08:39 PM »