Rumors > Lenses

85 1.2 L2 not sharp at 1.2

<< < (2/4) > >>

TommyLee:
85L mk II...........

I find it pretty sharp' at f1.2....getting very sharp .....quickly on the way to f2...

I use it at ....below f4...maybe f2 .........mostly f1.2...for effect....
------
it has to be MA'd just right in the distance you use it...AND you may as well take a few shots....
for each sample...because it is hard to repeat the shot-and focus point...

as Menace says...dial it in ...really try to get it on-the-money ...
then use it there...
if you dont see the sharpness... send it back....

like an x-15 with a micro-crack in the air-frame....
it wont ever get there...with some small limitation built-in

I really love it...
it sleeps for weeks...then it awakens....

14L II, 35L, 85L II, 135L .... yummy

drjlo:

--- Quote from: hammy on October 23, 2012, 05:04:19 PM ---Does anyone have problem getting sharp image at 1.2? i even tried manual focus and AFMA. i only get sharp image at 2.0 and up. should i return for different copy?. i bought it recently just to use at 1.2 since i heard so many review on how sharp it is at 1.2 to 2.0. Any thought?

thanks

--- End quote ---

Before you return it, do some testing on tripod in good light to see if the lens is the problem.  It would be even better if remote shutter release is used. 

BL:

--- Quote from: drjlo on October 23, 2012, 07:04:31 PM ---Before you return it, do some testing on tripod in good light to see if the lens is the problem.  It would be even better if remote shutter release is used.

--- End quote ---

this.   when i first got my 85 II, i shot a casual event with it shooting wide open the entire night.

when i got home, i previewed the images on a screen and found all of it to be hopelessly out of focus.

propped it onto a tripod and ran it through a battery of tests with MLU on center point - turns out i sucked shooting @ 1.2  :o

i installed a focussing screen that helps make things snappier at larger apertures and makes manually focussing possible with such extreme apertures as well.  manual focus is still tricky, but now possible.

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: hammy on October 23, 2012, 05:04:19 PM ---i even tried manual focus and AFMA.

--- End quote ---

MF via the viewfinder or via live view 10x?  Did you try Live AF?  How did you do the AFMA?

Quackator:
Also the 1.2/85mm L in both versions suffers badly from chromatic aberrations wide open.
They disappear almost completely at f=2.0 and above.

Use DPP to remove CA and use it for lens optimization.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version