September 30, 2014, 06:52:58 AM

Author Topic: D600 High ISO Examples  (Read 9512 times)

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: D600 High ISO Examples
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 01:24:26 PM »
suggest to check for dust more frequently with your new camera since nikon d600 has sensor's dust spots problems...  i am not goin' to post link into this forum since i am not pretty sure whether i am going violate any thing with that;  however, google key search would be "Nikon D600 sensor’s dust spots caused by a gap around the shutter?"

Yep... mine gets dusty.  It is just dust though... and does get blown off with a Giottos Rocket Blower.  It is annoying... but worth the hassle (IMO) for the incredible image quality.

I'm actually surprised that I haven't seen this discussed here yet... Canon guys are usually pretty quick to jump on Nikon quality shortcomings (and the other way around on other forums!).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 01:24:26 PM »

Gino

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »
suggest to check for dust more frequently with your new camera since nikon d600 has sensor's dust spots problems...  i am not goin' to post link into this forum since i am not pretty sure whether i am going violate any thing with that;  however, google key search would be "Nikon D600 sensor’s dust spots caused by a gap around the shutter?"

Yep... mine gets dusty.  It is just dust though... and does get blown off with a Giottos Rocket Blower.  It is annoying... but worth the hassle (IMO) for the incredible image quality.

I'm actually surprised that I haven't seen this discussed here yet... Canon guys are usually pretty quick to jump on Nikon quality shortcomings (and the other way around on other forums!).

Has anyone heard if Nikon has a fix in the works to close the gap around the sensor, which allows the dust to enter?  I would think some tape, or a piece of rubber, to fill the gap around the sensor would be a easy production line fix.

I'm looking to purchase either the D600 or the 6D for my dad for Christmas, and right now I'm leaning toward the D600, but I'm going to wait until I know that Nikon has fixed the issue of dust getting on the sensor.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 03:09:55 PM by Gino »
Canon 1D X & 5D MK III | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 70-300L | 24-105 f/4L | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 50 f/1.4 | 40 f/2.8 STM Pancake | Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG HSM | Speedlite 220EX | Speedlite 600EX-RT

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 05:16:48 PM »
It's still really unknown if that gap is really the culprit or not.  Some others are thinking that it's metal shavings from a scratch to the metal during production.

Personally, here's my take: I think it's perfectly normal.  What's abnormal is how poorly the built-in automatic cleaning mechanism of the D600 works.  When my sensor was at full dust (before I ever blew it off) repeated automated cleanings did absolutely nothing.  So, I think what I'm seeing is probably what would be on any brand new camera without a sensor cleaning mechanism.... it's just residual dust floating around in there from the production process and nothing is shaking it off.

Many people have reported that after a few cleanings there's doesn't get dirty any more... so I'm hoping that it will settle down over time.

Overall though... it's really not a huge issue.  If you're looking to go Nikon for the IQ I wouldn't let this hold you back...

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 12:51:54 AM »

I've managed to ADD more spots to my sensors using the Giottos Rocket blower.

Sticky little particles that may be tiny bits of the mold-release wax using in the rubber molding process.

Pity, it's an otherwise effective and easy to use tool.

I'd advise others to be wary of using this product to clean sensors.  I've yet to find a more suitable product tho. might end up building my own using a highly filtered airless compressor, accumulator and regulator with a final sub-micron filter before the final nozzle.

jjsanc2

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 01:20:47 AM »
Skin tones are orange...which seems to be a hallmark of Nikon FF sensors. Nothing that can't be fixed in post, but I grew tired of dealing with it and switched back to Canon. Thankfully, short of MP count, the 5D3 is equivalent to most of Nikon's current offerings (D4 notwithstanding). 

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 02:46:00 AM »

Right, because dust will frequently and in good quantity enter the weather sealed body? If you're the sort of guy that likes to leave the lens and body cap off when you store your camera then dust will certainly build up in that spot, but also everywhere else in the mirror box. But, I didn't read up on any of this so I don't know, are there actually users experiencing dust clogging up the camera? Or is this a another hugely overblown issue like the left AF point on the D800? Because that one's real!

As for the D600 being able to take pics at ISO 6400, ok, better than my camera, but these are pics with in-camera JPG NR + some post NR, and I see some ugly noise in the backgrounds. Frankly I considered switching, but my gear won't let me, and for high ISO Canon has managed to keep rather pleasing grainy noise, even at ISO 10,000 with no NR. And we can expect the same performance from the 6D, just nobody's sure about the AF and everything else yet....

Gino

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 08:40:32 PM »
I just purchased an open box D600 with full factory warranty from Crutchfield for $1,889....also, I took advantage of the befrufal.com 2.7% cash back to save another $51.  This will be my dad's Christmas present...he is going to be one happy camper!
Canon 1D X & 5D MK III | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 70-300L | 24-105 f/4L | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 50 f/1.4 | 40 f/2.8 STM Pancake | Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG HSM | Speedlite 220EX | Speedlite 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 08:40:32 PM »

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 10:20:55 PM »
Skin tones are orange...which seems to be a hallmark of Nikon FF sensors. Nothing that can't be fixed in post, but I grew tired of dealing with it and switched back to Canon. Thankfully, short of MP count, the 5D3 is equivalent to most of Nikon's current offerings (D4 notwithstanding).

Actually they are really true to the light.  The light is really weird in his house (multiple lamps with differently colored shades).  The way the photos look is pretty much spot on to what it looked like that night.

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 10:25:42 PM »
As for the D600 being able to take pics at ISO 6400, ok, better than my camera, but these are pics with in-camera JPG NR + some post NR, and I see some ugly noise in the backgrounds. Frankly I considered switching, but my gear won't let me, and for high ISO Canon has managed to keep rather pleasing grainy noise, even at ISO 10,000 with no NR. And we can expect the same performance from the 6D, just nobody's sure about the AF and everything else yet....

So, since that night I've upgraded to Lightroom4 and have now been able to process RAWs shot at 6400.... and damn they look good.  I haven't been applying any NR because the photos look great without it.  There is a lot of noise, but like you say, it's very fine grained and melts away when outputting lower res versions of the photo while a bunch of detail is still retained.

It will be interesting to see how the 6D stacks up for sure...

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 12:25:17 AM »
Well that's that. Now let's see some low ISO shots in postprocessing, esp shadow lifting.

I wonder if it will be as good as the D800.

Probably not, but I am sure it will show better results than the 6D. We already know that the 6D comes with the Canon trademarked banding.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:36:50 AM by Ricku »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 12:25:17 AM »