July 29, 2014, 04:17:38 PM

Author Topic: Weird large card delay problem with 5D3 in Multiple Exposure mode  (Read 875 times)

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile

Hello all,

I thought I'd give some of the onboard composition features a go on my 5D3.  But I have an odd issue that prevents me from trying one of them.

When I go to Multiple Exposure mode, the camera sort of hangs.  It says "Busy.... Please Wait" and never comes out of that screen.  The red 'busy' LED on the bottom right never stops flickering, so I assumed it was a full card issue.  I have a 50% full 128 GB SD card (which works brilliantly otherwise), and apparently, in Multiple Exposure mode, it needs to access every damn picture, presumably if I want to choose one of those existing shots to be part of an ME composition.

So I put my backup (empty 8GB) card and it snapped right to attention and ME mode was working.  But I still prefer to keep all my shots on one card.  I transfer and backup militantly, but it's much easier to know where my shots are if they're all in one place.

So how I do avoid the ME mode hanging other than routinely cleaning out my card or swapping in an empty one? 

To be fair, this may be a case of me being very stubborn, in that I prefer:

• To shoot with SD (much easier to share shots with non-photogs, I don't shoot video, etc.)
  • To keep the last 3-6 months of shots on the card despite having already transferred to a computer
  • To not have to swap to another card for ME mode as I'll certainly leave it in there and now have keeper shots on two cards

...so someone may need to tell me that ME mode simply won't fly in that particular environment.  But here's hoping someone else found a solution.   :D

Thx,
A

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Weird large card delay problem with 5D3 in Multiple Exposure mode
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:37:16 PM »
Your camera has to access all 64GB of images on a slow card, because it does not know which you want to use as a starting image.
Try writing to a CF Card to do ME while keeping your 64GB library of images on the SD card.  You can occasionally copy images from the CF card to the SD Card.  You can use a smaller 16GB CF card.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:51:25 PM »
Oh, nice -- so I don't need a CF reader?  I can just swap the files from CF to SD on camera? 

Great.  Problem solved -- I'll just use the CF card for ME shots, and keep it cleaned out.

Thanks!

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:57:19 PM »
Oh, nice -- so I don't need a CF reader?  I can just swap the files from CF to SD on camera? 

Great.  Problem solved -- I'll just use the CF card for ME shots, and keep it cleaned out.

Thanks!
Use it for everything, then remove the images you do not like and transfer the keepers. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:57:19 PM »