December 22, 2014, 12:11:44 AM

Author Topic: 5Dlll CF/SD  (Read 12274 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Which compact flash card do I want for a 5D3?
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2012, 10:45:52 PM »
Amazon UK has them but I have no idea if their UK pricing is competitive.  Do we need "Sandisk Extreme Pro" 90 MB per second?

I use the 16GB 60mb/sec cards with my 5D MK II.  I'll buy larger and faster ones if the price drops, but some of the really big and fast ones cost $$$.

I remember buying a 85mb card back around 2000.  They cost about $160 as I recall.  That reminds me of my next door neighbor who dropped in while I was assembling a new computer in about 1997.  I had installed a 250mb hard drive, but the first 1gb hard drives had just hit the market and ere selling for $2,000.  He told me he had just bought one, and it was the last new hard drive he would ever need.  A bout two years later, I built my next system with four 13gb hard drives in a raid array, and it cost a fraction of what he paid.

That taught me to be patient and wait until the price and capacity reaches the sweet spot.  I can fill up four or more 16gb cards in one night when I have a heavy fingered assistant taking too many shots rather than just anticipating the right moment to take one.  I really don't care how many shots he takes, its the processing and sorting them later that is the real work.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Which compact flash card do I want for a 5D3?
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2012, 10:45:52 PM »

Cali_PH

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: 5Dlll CF/SD
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2012, 01:01:48 AM »
Here is another option:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=diesdcf&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Get this and you only need to buy are SD cards.... and still have Dual slot capability in the 5d3

As someone who's got a lot of SD cards, I was hoping they'd add the SD slot for the 5DmkIII.  And i don't do video or long bursts so I'm thinking my SD's will be fine for now.

Thanks for the link, I've been thinking about picking one of those up if I upgrade to it!  I'm going on a big trip, would love to have the security of backup files.

MichaelVBruno

Re: 5Dlll CF/SD Compact Flash versus SD Cards on Canon 5D Miii
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2012, 10:17:43 AM »
Having spent hours perusing the user manual, the Canon website, the available CF and SD cards and the forums I have decided on the following professional configuration for my Canon 5D Miii memory card setup.

I will use a 16GB Eye-Fi card in the SD Slot.  Only "L" JPEGS will be written to this card.
I will use a 32GB 1000x LEXAR CF Card in the CF Slot.  RAW Images will be written to this card.
I have also purchased a 15ft miniHDMI to HDMI cable for previewing images on my HD TC/Monitor.
I also purchased a backup (secondary) 32G CF card, as one card usually remains full for a while during post processing in Lightroom, so its useful to have a second card available.

I purchased all of these items in Nov 2012 on a local South African online store that more or less mirrors the Amazon store for South African customers, and all told it cost me just less than $1000.
Please see copy of the invoice attached, with exact part numbers listed.

Using this setup I can readily accommodate the following desirable's:
1.  Fastest CF read capability to download RAW files for post processing.
2.  Live WiFi dump to laptop (without a WiFi router present) for full screen image previews during my shoot.
3.  Quick camera body controlled previews on an HDMI monitor via cable.
4.  Wireless file transfer of at least the JPEGs from the Eye-Fi SD card to my desktop PC. 
5.  I only shoot RAW in professional situations, and I don't mind using a cable to download off the CF card under those conditions.  In fact, I would rather cable transfer my precious RAW files than have them wirelessly transferred.
6.  The 1000x LEXAR cards will give me the fastest continuous / sustained write speed for fastest fps during action shooting.
7.  The 1000x LEXAR cards will give me the boost in read speed during cable wired RAW file uploads to my PC.
8.  I hope to be able to find an andriod app for my motorola/samsung tablet that will live view the Eye-Fi JPEGS during the shoot.  I find that giving the model access to the images live really improves their confidence, as well as allows them to adjust facial / postures dynamically during the shoot.

I will update here on the success of this setup once all my toys arrive in 2 weeks from the USA.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: 5Dlll CF/SD Compact Flash versus SD Cards on Canon 5D Miii
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2012, 10:17:43 AM »