August 30, 2014, 08:23:18 AM

Author Topic: February & March are Announcement Months for Canon [CR2]  (Read 27602 times)

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: February & March are Announcement Months for Canon [CR2]
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2012, 01:54:27 PM »
As far as ergonomics, holding a gripped body in comparison to a 1D series body is a very different experience. First thing you'll notice is that the screw dial that locks the grip into place is no longer there, some people like myself hate that thing for when turning the body to portrait as I tend to fiddle or scratch on it sometimes. Once you get used to holding a 1 series, it's more than just an integrated grip, you feel like you're actually holding the entire camera rather than holding a grip that's attached to it. Hard to truly explain the feeling, but the confidence level seems to go up in that slight sense of extra stability and comfort. Like said earlier in this thread I also appreciate the extra LCD, and the tighter button layout. Aesthetically.... Integrated grip bodies also look a lot less tackier than ones with removable grips. Also, whether integrated grip or not, it just looks and feels so much more manly in portrait mode. I used to see myself in the mirror or other male photographers hold their ungripped cameras in portrait orientation and think uhh....yeah....soccer mom pose. Then again if you do all landscape and work with a tripod a lot I wouldn't worry about it. Just my opinion.

First of all, if you care how "manly" you look, you aren't very "manly".
Second, you're still talking about bottom-attached grips, not the 1V-style grip, which is far more "integrated" into the body.

http://superhappycashcow.com/CAMERA/USED%20CAMERA/06-05-12/0300/07.jpg

Offended? It's just not an optimal stance to have your arm curved up and around like that, especially if you're shooting with telephoto. I'm well aware of the 1V style grip. But like I was clearly explaining... If you take a newer 1 series vs for example, a 60d body with a grip, it's not as similar as you may think. Try shooting all day with them, heck, try shooting 200,000 shots a year with them. You don't notice these things looking at photos of cameras on the internet.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2012, 01:54:27 PM »

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2012, 03:34:34 PM »

as for lenses

14-24 is long overdue, new 50 1.4 to fix the finicky af mechanism.  I thought the 35L needed upgrading, but now that I own it, it's stellar as is.  I'm not interested in a mirroless camera unless it's FF ILC with acceptable af performance.  The first company to produce it will get my money.  A 7DII for action and a compact FF mirrorless for everything else would be my perfect combo.
I have plenty of camera with my 5D3 purchased by the end of August. A 14-24 (2.0 ?) would be a great addition to it.
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

crasher8

Seinfeld BG-E11
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2012, 03:38:43 PM »

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2012, 04:29:01 PM »
I'm well aware of the 1V style grip. But like I was clearly explaining... If you take a newer 1 series vs for example, a 60d body with a grip, it's not as similar as you may think.

I didn't say they were similar, I said the 1V-grip is.  I've held a 1V-HS and 1DII side-by-side and the differences were minimal.  I couldn't feel any flex in the 1V grip and both felt about the same size and shape.  The difference is, a few minutes worth of work will have the grip off the 1V for people like me that have no need of it and for whom it hurts rather than helps the shooting process.

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2012, 05:52:29 PM »
Is anyone else wondering why there may/will be a new "naming scheme"?

Depends on what is meant by "naming scheme".

The '7D' name will not change, IMO, but it's certainly possible that the 'Mark XX' naming scheme might get retired.
Thus, instead of using the name '7D Mark II' for the 7D successor, Canon might use a new naming scheme.

Certainly a possibility.
I'd be taking the 7DII rumors with a grain of salt, though.

The 7D is a year older than the 60D and is seemingly the next candidate for an update.
The thing is, the 60D has been continuously lagging behind Nikon's D7000 in sales, even though it's been selling for less.
So, it might actually make more business sense for Canon to update the 60D first, not the 7D.

Either way, one of these two cameras will get an update early next year for sure.
And we'll get a new toy either way :P.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 06:34:23 PM by x-vision »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2012, 06:49:38 PM »
Jrista... please.....calm down, deep breaths, whoooo Shaaaa !!   :P

Eh, what?
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »
No, it doesn't.  EVFs of good quality are actually quite expensive.  RED sells their Bomb EVF for $3,200:
http://www.red.com/store/products/red-pro-evf

How does the Bomb EVF perform for dynamic range and response time with specs like these:

Bit Depth (Color): 30-bit RGB
Display Rate: Up to 60 FPS (Display mode and Camera Dependent)

Not familiar with EVF technology

If it's 30-bit color is 10-bbp, so that would be 10 stops for the Bomb EVF. Keep in mind, the EVF ALONE is almost FOUR GRAND. That is well beyond even professional grade DSLR prices, and it is optimized for previewing video, not stills. An optical viewfinder won't limit your DR, so as cameras push right up to the limit of 14 stops in 14-bit sensors/ADCs, then move on to full 16 stops in 16-bit sensors/ADCs, an OVF keeps up. Even a 10-bpp EVF that costs thousands would still be limited.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »

don

3d AT B&H
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2012, 07:13:48 PM »
A pro aimed EOS M would be nice.

A 7D2 is way overdue.

And the BIG MP camera will be here soon.

Let's see some innovation canon.

don

« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2012, 07:15:11 PM »
3D at B&H

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2012, 08:07:51 PM »
If it's 30-bit color is 10-bbp, so that would be 10 stops for the Bomb EVF.

Maximum.  If the display can actually put out what it's being fed.  Which it well may not.

hmmm

« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2012, 08:21:04 PM »
I believe the "major" announcement will be the 7D mkII.    It will be the first camera with Canon's new-technology sensor, is my guess.

Page down to this page on Northlight (sourced from Chipworks) on what is likely to be coming.   http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_rumours.html        Canon is finally moving its process below 500 nanometers.

We'll see it on the 7DmkII, then the 70D, then most likely the t5i before anything on full-frame.  No full frame applications until 2014 or so.   But my guess is the new sensor tech will move up the refresh for the 5DmkIII a bit earlier than might be expected based on time between previous refreshes.

The new technology is coming ... we'll see it on the 7D mkII early next year... but the zillion dollar question is how good will it be?

Naming convention: since the sensor tech will be new, a new naming convention would make sense, fitting in with that part of the rumor.   It could be the Canon Apple 1 or something.    Whatever.

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2012, 09:20:11 PM »
Page down to this page on Northlight (sourced from Chipworks) on what is likely to be coming.   http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_rumours.html        Canon is finally moving its process below 500 nanometers.

Canon produces back-side illuminated CMOS sensors with 1.5 micron pixels (equivalent to 24,000x16,000 = 384MP on full-frame) for its compact cameras.  I have three of these sensors and their performance is nothing short of spectacular compared to the performance of my 5D or T2i sensors - per unit of area of course.  I've often mused about the idea of applying the 4-pixel binning approach from the C100 to a full-frame sensor composed of those pixels.  That would give you a 96MP (37.5MP on APS-C) sensor with full-color pixels and almost no read noise.

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2012, 09:24:49 PM »
If it's 30-bit color is 10-bbp, so that would be 10 stops for the Bomb EVF.

Maximum.  If the display can actually put out what it's being fed.  Which it well may not.

Agreed.
My Photography

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2012, 09:24:49 PM »

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2012, 09:35:39 PM »

Canon produces back-side illuminated CMOS sensors with 1.5 micron pixels (equivalent to 24,000x16,000 = 384MP on full-frame) for its compact cameras.  I have three of these sensors and their performance is nothing short of spectacular compared to the performance of my 5D or T2i sensors - per unit of area of course.  I've often mused about the idea of applying the 4-pixel binning approach from the C100 to a full-frame sensor composed of those pixels.  That would give you a 96MP (37.5MP on APS-C) sensor with full-color pixels and almost no read noise.

I've heard someone else mention Canon's BSI CMOS sensors. I knew they posted a patent in January 2012, but I was not aware it was in production yet (as far as I knew, it was for FF and APS-C sized sensors). I am curious though...is Canon going BSI to avoid having to move to a process smaller than 500nm? Since the photodiode is exposed directly to light in a BSI design, the transistor size for everything "backside" wouldn't matter as much, since it is no longer in the light path.

According to an article released by chipworks a few weeks ago, Canon DOES have 180nm fabrication processes that are capable of developing large sensors with high refractive index lightpipe technology, which is kind of a stepping stone to BSI (better than sensors without either, but not as good as BSI itself.) I really wish there was more solid information about where Canon is going, for what products, and when.

I held off on the 5D III, I would love to get a 1D X, but I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on that if better stuff is just around the corner. By no means do I think the 1D X or the 5D III are "bad" cameras in any respect...but if a 46mp beauty is released next year for around $5000 to $7000, I'd be pretty miffed that I spent my $7 grand on the 1D X instead, when my 7D serves my bird and wildlife purposes perfectly well (and with extra reach in every case.)
My Photography

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2012, 10:51:27 PM »
Canon produces back-side illuminated CMOS sensors with 1.5 micron pixels (equivalent to 24,000x16,000 = 384MP on full-frame) for its compact cameras. 

These are likely Sony sensors, as Canon does not have BSI technology.

Canon does not use it's own sensors for compacts ... except for the 12mp sensor in the S100/S110 and G15.
This is the sensor, based on which Chipworks concluded that Canon has a 180nm (FSI) process already.

The 180nm process should start making appearances in DSLRs soon.
It appears that parts of the 6D sensor are already made on 180nm process, as vaguely confirmed by Canon Japan:
  • The newly developed CMOS sensor, introducing a process miniaturization in semiconductor process CMOS

It's interesting that Canon USA/Europe do not mention anything about that.

Based on the available info, though, I'd say that the 6D will end up having better image quality than the 5DIII.
Note that the rumors floating around are saying that only parts of the 6D sensor are made on 180nm.
So, the 6D sensor is essentially a 180nm/500nm hybrid.

The question is, are the new APS-C sensors from Canon going to be fully made on 180nm?
If they are 180nm/500nm hybrids, performance might not be all that different from current sensors.

But if they are fully made on 180nm, they are certainly going to match/beat the current 16mp Sony sensors.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 11:04:20 PM by x-vision »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2012, 10:51:27 PM »