April 21, 2014, 12:34:59 PM

Author Topic: Travel to Thailand/Laos should I bring my 5d mkiii?  (Read 10365 times)

Airvoid

Travel to Thailand/Laos should I bring my 5d mkiii?
« on: November 16, 2012, 02:37:28 PM »
I've been reading a lot of other forums and there is a lot ppl who recommends bringing a point and shoot over dslr because of theft and just being in the moment there for the experience and not worrying about your gear etc.

Ill be in Thailand for about 1 week and Laos for 3 weeks this coming December. Has anyone been there recently with their dslr and would recommend me bringing my 5d mk iiI?

I do have a t2i and a 7d as well a g1x. I was also thinking of pairing my dslr with my 24-70 L. It'll be my first time in s.e.asia but I've traveled overseas to Europe before and know the basic rules to keep inconspicuous.

I really love my 5d.. but is it smart to bring it there? Thanks in advance! -Alex
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 02:40:12 PM by Airvoid »

canon rumors FORUM

Travel to Thailand/Laos should I bring my 5d mkiii?
« on: November 16, 2012, 02:37:28 PM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
  • everything is possible, just do it!
    • View Profile
Re: Travel to Thailand/Laos should I bring my 5d mkiii?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 08:05:27 AM »
You should have absolutely zero problems with DSLR and whites. Thailand and Laos are beautiful countries, and the crime rate is probably a lot lower than most European/US countries.

Of course if you go out of a night and invite "friends" back to your room, make sure everything is locked in the hotel safe - including your aftershave, but that really has nothing to do with your original question.

I would not hesitate to take any of my good stuff to either of those countries, and I do frequently.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 08:13:44 AM »
I spent 10 weeks in Thailand and 1 week in Laos with my Dslr and never had any issues. Just use common sense when traveling especially in bigger cities and high tourist traffic areas.

When in Laos you should be careful taking photo of anything military. They can be sensitive about that.

Otherwise just have fun and be respectful (as any tourist should be)

Have fun!

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 09:41:15 AM »
Bit confused. Why would you not?

kirispupis

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 10:37:49 AM »
In terms of keeping your equipment in your room, that depends on where you stay.  We stayed at a Le Meridien in Phuket and a Marriott in Bangkok and had absolutely no problems.  If you stay at some little dive - then yes, take your equipment with you.

In general these are very safe countries.  You will see tons of people try to scam you, but few actually try to steal from you.  I was far less worried about theft there than I am in the US.

In terms of scams - some advice
 - Don't take the tuk tuks in Bangkok
 - If you see someone with a monkey (or any exotic animal) do not let them put it on you or photograph you with it (they won't steal anything - they'll insist on a high payment after and they often kill the mother in the wild to take the babies)
 - If you can't find some place, don't let someone show you where it is. Insist on only directions.
5D3|TS-E 24 II|TS-E 17|TS-E 90|200-400/1.4x|MP-E 65|100/2.8 IS Macro|70-200/2.8 IS II||16-35/2.8 II|EOS M

AdamF

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »
Definitely bring it all and plenty of memory cards as there is so much to take photos of.

Bring something to occasionally wipe it down like a soft cotton bandana.

And if you are worried about it being stolen, check with your homeowners or renters insurance if you have contents insurance on your personal belongings when you travel.  Take a photo of your gear, write down the serial numbers, and leave that information at home.

Just be careful not to be carrying expensive camera equipment out in the open in very unsafe areas.  You could keep it in a backpack.

Have fun !!

rahkshi007

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 12:04:33 PM »
HI, i have been thailand once, the people there were friendly.. i agree that alot people trying to scam  and sell you something at higher price. avoid using taxi as they charge you very high compared to non tourist. there is less theft case.. i feel thailand is safer compared to Italy that i have been there last year.
5d mark iii, 50mm 1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 24-70mm f2.8L, 17-40 f4L, 600ex-rt

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 12:04:33 PM »

Ristobkk

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 12:54:02 PM »
For Thailand i recommend you to to take your best gear with you and enjoy. Im living in Bangkok already 6 years and always wondering so many locals using DSLR's, compacts are rare to see. I carry my 5D3 every day with me and never feel unsafe, but ofcourse always , everywhere man should use common sense. For my opinion camera prices are also very competitive in Bangkok, my favourite is www.fotofile.net only -point is that all shops in Thailand can give only Thai warranty not Intl.
5DIII | 6D | G16 | 16-35 f2.8L II | 24-70 f2.8L II | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L II | 2.0x converter III | 3 x 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | GP-E2

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 06:28:29 PM »
Gotta agree with the rest of the posters. Bring it and enjoy. You will encounter spectacular sceneries and would regret yourself if you don't bring it. I live in the region since a few years and I carry my 5D3 around in a bag that doesn't look like a camera bag. It's a Crumpler sling bag. As stated, avoi tuk tuks in Bangkok. Always get a taxi there or the skytrain which is faster and cheaper. Enjoy and remember to smile at people, it will help you along there.

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 06:43:36 PM »
Thailand is a great place and worthy of bringing your top gear.  Last time I went to a humid place, I noticed quite a bit of condensation on the lens as the Hotel-cooled camera/lens was taken outside to humid air.  I would recommend bringing an air-tight plastic bag of some kind to keep your camera/lens in when you walk out of air-conditioned hotels.  If you take them out once temperature equalizes between camera and air, you can avoid condensation.  If you have to shoot something right away, make sure to bring lens cloth, as you will likely need to keep wiping away condensation from your lens until camera comes to outside temperature.

sleepnever

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 07:54:07 PM »
I just went on a trip to Louisiana (New Orleans and Baton Rouge), but before I took my brand new 5D3 and my other gear, I called up my insurance agency and scheduled (their word) coverage of my gear to be included on my homeowner's policy. For $93/yr ($7.75/mo) added on, I have the following protected if I drop it/break it/someone steals it/etc:

-5D Mark III
-24-70L lens
-50 1.8 II lens
-B&W UV filter
-480EXII flash

They schedule it right then and there, making it effective immediately. If you have all of your receipts that you can scan over to them, that makes it even quicker. Talk about peace of mind when it goes through Xrays or you trip on a rock and drop it.

Also, just a tip for any of you who purchased any gear from say Adorama or whoever's eBay store: If you send in your eBay receipt, *even if* you purchased a new in box item, there's a good chance your insurance agency won't take it. At this point, they will only insure the camera up to the price you purchased it (like those of us that got the 5D3 at a great sale price of $2749) and not MSRP. However, Adorama Customer Support was nice enough to send me an official receipt when I asked. If the insurance company still won't go full MSRP on an item in this case, tell 'em its bullsh#t that you're getting shafted because you bought something on sale and they'll probably say OK.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope people find it useful.  (edit: I didn't see that AdamF made a comment to this idea too prior to posting)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:56:19 PM by sleepnever »
Canon 5D3 | 50mm f1.8 II | 24-70 f2.8L | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 430EX II
Flickr

joshuajacks324

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 10:20:15 PM »
Definitely bring it! I live in Laos and I'm constantly seeing everything from point and shoots to 1DXs. You see kit lenses up to the big guys. This part of the world is really beautiful and as long as you take it on carry on and keep it with you, you won't have any problems with theft. I live in Luang Prabang, Laos and theft isn't that big of a problem here. You definitely don't want to miss out on incredible photo opportunities. You have the 5D to take awesome pictures so why wouldn't you bring it :)

joshuajacks324

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 11:25:05 PM »
Long time viewer, first time caller! I'm new here and thought I'd upload a few HDR shots I've recently taken here in Luang Prabang, Laos.
Also, just started uploading to 500px.
http://500px.com/joshuajacks
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 11:57:01 PM by joshuajacks324 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 11:25:05 PM »

GDub

• Rebel SL1
  • I R Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Gary Wium: photography & circumstance
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 12:21:04 AM »
Yep.
5DM3, EOS M, T2i & G11

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 02:48:02 AM »
Yep.
Definitely take it. My standard South East Asia travel kit in recent years has been 5DC/5D2/5D3 de-gripped and grunged down with black tape. Get the tape that doesn't leave residue when you peel it off. It looks really tatty and like it needs the tape to hold it together. I like to keep it very simple now, so one lens does it for me...the travelers friend, the 24-105 f/4is and a shirt load of high capacity cards. You'll beat yourself up if you go there with a P&S...it's photographers heaven.

-PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 02:48:02 AM »