October 25, 2014, 10:10:13 PM

Author Topic: Off-Topic Fun: How are YOU spending your Black Friday (week)  (Read 5083 times)

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Off-Topic Fun: How are YOU spending your Black Friday (week)
« on: November 18, 2012, 08:23:08 PM »
Hio all.

Now that we all are sure that Canon is descending into a death spiral with crappy products like the 5Dmk3 and pricing problems like all of their lenses . . . what's everyone expecting and doing for Black Friday?

Qualification: if you're out of the US, don't thread-crap that we're talking about US holidays . . . it's international at this point, since we get price depressions from now to Christmas in many places . . .

------------------
I'll start :)

I'm monitoring for 5Dmk3 deals . . . and ALMOST ready for signing the divorce papers if B&H or another major vendor offers that bundled with the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II for a crazy-arsed-price ;)

Other than that, going to troll around for an IPS monitor . . . and stocking up on MagLite LEDs, since I live in the northeast and CL&P can't manage to keep the lights on for more than 11 months at a time.

How about you?  How are you spending your black friday?
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

Off-Topic Fun: How are YOU spending your Black Friday (week)
« on: November 18, 2012, 08:23:08 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Off-Topic Fun: How are YOU spending your Black Friday (week)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:38:21 PM »
For those who shop online, its Cyber Monday when the best deals happen.  Last year, some of the best deals on photography equipment happened the day after Cyber Monday.
You can also play chicken and see if prices will drop further.  They did last year, Canon really dropped prices as December wore on.
However, I have been watching prices of Dell Computers and finally broke down and ordered one today.  I always order the base model and buy my own memory, upgraded video, upgraded operating system, better DVD's, etc.  I can buy them cheaper than Dell charges for a upgrade.  I wanted to build my own pc this year, but I could not even come close to the Dell price for a base model XPS 8500 3rd generation I7 unit.($685). I already bought a new Samsung 830 256GB SSD on a one day sale, its sitting here waiting for a home along with a new 3TB hard drive also bought on sale.  I am going to wait on additional memory and upgraded video card for a sale.  I do not do gaming, so I will be upgrading, but still keeping to a mid level card, just one that handles HD video well.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:54:57 PM »
ALMOST ready for signing the divorce papers
Not necessary! How about buying her an expensive present ?  ::)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 10:24:44 PM »

Sounds like a good day to go fishing, if you like that sort of thing.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 10:32:32 PM »
As far away from the malls and crowds as I can get.  Going out to shoot something somewhere--haven't decided yet.

AudioGlenn

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 10:48:16 PM »
I'll be shopping in my underwear (online, of course).  Looking for a good deal on a mark iii and a 24-70 as well.
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 11:00:35 PM »
I'll spend time with my family. Take alot of pictures - since my mom will be visit my family this year. I haven't eat her food for long time. and of course RELAXXXXXXXX ::)

I don't give a "Shtttt" about blackfriday. Almost forgot....goodluck on 5D III + 24-70 II combo hunting.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 11:02:27 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 11:00:35 PM »

Seanlucky

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 11:44:52 PM »
Black Friday:

"Because only in America, people trample others for sales exactly one day after being thankful for what they already have."

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 11:48:07 PM »
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky—try to take over the world!"
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

AudioGlenn

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 02:52:41 AM »

LOL

"like"
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 08:50:58 AM »

With my wife, a divorce would be cheaper . . . we save on EVERYTHING but when it comes to wants, she goes right for the mainstream top (not necessarily better).  I shut her up about an LV bag though . . . I said "Okay, jewelry or an expensive bag" -- haven't heard a peep since :D

I'll be going to work this Friday anyhow (I'm a 99% online shopper as well) -- I've got a good job, just not with regard to days off. 

The last few years for presents, I went with straight cash to my grandmother (who can use it more than anything else) and useful stuff for other relatives, like brake replacements.  It's not as ooh-ahh as something shiny, but it's one less bill for them I figure.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 08:56:19 AM »
For those who shop online, its Cyber Monday when the best deals happen.  Last year, some of the best deals on photography equipment happened the day after Cyber Monday.
You can also play chicken and see if prices will drop further.  They did last year, Canon really dropped prices as December wore on.
However, I have been watching prices of Dell Computers and finally broke down and ordered one today.  I always order the base model and buy my own memory, upgraded video, upgraded operating system, better DVD's, etc.  I can buy them cheaper than Dell charges for a upgrade.  I wanted to build my own pc this year, but I could not even come close to the Dell price for a base model XPS 8500 3rd generation I7 unit.($685). I already bought a new Samsung 830 256GB SSD on a one day sale, its sitting here waiting for a home along with a new 3TB hard drive also bought on sale.  I am going to wait on additional memory and upgraded video card for a sale.  I do not do gaming, so I will be upgrading, but still keeping to a mid level card, just one that handles HD video well.

The new I7s totally scream; I have 3 optiplex 990s at work with Win7 64-bit and they FINALLY do what I need them to.

I've been REALLY disappointed with what Dell has been putting in their lower-end boxes for some time now (starting with the motherboard and moving up).

This and next week are GREAT times for component buyers and now that Microsoft finally caught on to not cheating home builders, if I didn't have 2 or 3 unused Frankenstein creations in my basement, that'd be a good exercise for my 6-year-old and I, but I'm just sick to death of Windows support.  As soon as he's ready to field calls from my Sister with a broken PC, I'm retiring for good! :D

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 11:08:54 AM »

With my wife, a divorce would be cheaper . . . we save on EVERYTHING but when it comes to wants, she goes right for the mainstream top (not necessarily better).  I shut her up about an LV bag though . . . I said "Okay, jewelry or an expensive bag" -- haven't heard a peep since :D

I'll be going to work this Friday anyhow (I'm a 99% online shopper as well) -- I've got a good job, just not with regard to days off. 

The last few years for presents, I went with straight cash to my grandmother (who can use it more than anything else) and useful stuff for other relatives, like brake replacements.  It's not as ooh-ahh as something shiny, but it's one less bill for them I figure.
Then I guess either jewelry or an expensive bag can compensate to an EOS1Dx? (at least if you add the total value of jewelry bought recent years  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 11:08:54 AM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 12:07:30 PM »
Then I guess either jewelry or an expensive bag can compensate to an EOS1Dx? (at least if you add the total value of jewelry bought recent years  ;)

She has one of those "last few weeks" memories.

I'm still trying to figure out a valid algorithm to get myself another car  ::)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 12:13:58 PM »

LOL

"like"
Me like too!

No Black Friday for us in India. I'll be going to work  :(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 12:13:58 PM »