wifi works only as far as 5m
GPS coordinates are 3 km off
canon speedlites will not work in TTL mode
EF mount pins will lose contact after changing lenses a few times
absolutely no details in RED colors
the battery explodes
the camera only makes boring pictures
AF will only work proper with sigma lenses
the plastic EF mount (a last minute change) makes ugly noise when changing lenses
only working mode is "P"
light leak
pentaprism take on a brownish color after some time
display language can not be changed from japanese
first firmware update will brick the camera
to much DR.. so images will look flat

Author Topic: What will be the issue with the 6D  (Read 23744 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: What will be the issue with the 6D
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2012, 03:58:01 PM »
all new DSLR´s have issues so what will it be?

I've got another one even not that far-fetched: The battery will only last 30min with gps and wifi enabled + shooting with a IS lens...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2012, 03:58:01 PM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »

I've got another one even not that far-fetched: The battery will only last 30min with gps and wifi enabled + shooting with a IS lens...

And having so much fun shooting that you shoot non-stop for 30 mins.   ;D

Ryan708

• EOS M2
  • Less bickering, more shooting
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2012, 08:24:36 PM »
My biggest issue will be the lack of used or refurbished ones for months. The 5dMkii is too tempting a deal for a good used one around 1500$ right now. I will need to play with both of them I have a feeling.
60D, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC, EF 50mm 1.8II, and a Sigma EF-610 DG superflash

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2012, 10:54:33 PM »
Canon will need to invent a new battery grip (the BG-E13XL) that takes at least 6 x LP-E6's :P
  ;D Or it will have to provide a method to turn it off. But I guess then it might take much time to find the coordinates when turned on again  ::)

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2012, 12:38:50 AM »

This has got to be the #1 issue for the 6D especially as Canon have said that GPS Logging will be possible even when the DSLR is switched OFF and in your bag! My iPhone 4S does not last 1 hour with Motion-X GPS app running, as opposed to a normal 24-hour battery life. When I had the 70-200mm f4L IS it would halve my battery time. Both together? Canon will need to invent a new battery grip (the BG-E13XL) that takes at least 6 x LP-E6's :P

Modern wifi+bt+gps chipsets don't consume much juice, especially if you're not doing something active. I don't know that app you mention, but I guess it keeps constant update on the gps. For the camera, if you update you location e.g. every 30-60 seconds, that doesn't affect the battery too much. Most photog don't run that fast while carrying 2 bodies and set of lenses, so 30 second update interval will give <10 feet accuracy.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2012, 01:37:10 AM »
For the camera, if you update you location e.g. every 30-60 seconds, that doesn't affect the battery too much.

I hope there is a firmware feature that lets the user adjust the gps tracking tradeoff power/precision - because you might not move far in 60s, but it can still be important/interesting to know where you where exactly, gps has this precision.

As for indoor tracking: This is a software issue too and the gps fw needs to be smart enough not to constantly try to reach the satellites indoors but go from the last known precision afterwards (or after being switched off). But I wonder if Canon really put work into this and not simply attached your standard combined wifi/gps chip to the pcb so that gps is more a side-effect of wifi.

I fear for the worst, because they didn't implement directional logging - and knowing where the camera is pointing is the on big advantage on/in-camera gps has over a low-power dedicated & precise logger in your pocket. And dedicated trackers have a-gps so you can pre-load coordinates to the unit which makes the first fix *much* faster esp. on cloudy days, the camera might take minutes for that.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 01:38:45 AM by Marsu42 »

cocopop05

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2012, 03:18:30 AM »
I had a chuckle at this tounge-in-cheek posting.  The Canon 6D will be a fine camera, but it's biggest issue will be the Nikon D600.  On paper, it looks better across most specs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2012, 03:18:30 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2012, 08:14:29 AM »
I had a chuckle at this tounge-in-cheek posting.  The Canon 6D will be a fine camera, but it's biggest issue will be the Nikon D600.  On paper, it looks better across most specs.
Nikon is always an issue for Canon. And Canon is always an issue with Nikon...  ;D

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2012, 08:19:19 AM »
I hope there is a firmware feature that lets the user adjust the gps tracking tradeoff power/precision
Gps is not a real battery hog if they just use a modern low-power chipset. My WinTec 202 (a recent microBlox gps logger) will log with walking precision for 24 hours on a single battery charge of 4,4Wh - about a third of the capacity of an LP-E6. So if you only shoot an occasional photo, a gripped, logging 6D might still last close to a week :))
Fed up with brandism.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2012, 09:16:35 AM »
So if you only shoot an occasional photo, a gripped, logging 6D might still last close to a week :))
Errr, hmmm, 6D is a camera with GPS not GPS with a camera...

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2012, 11:29:22 AM »
I'm sorry, I was trying to use humor to give an impression of how long a typical Canon battery might last while using GPS. I should've known not everyone pays attention to smileys. Next time I will use [IRONY]-tags.
Fed up with brandism.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2012, 11:44:40 AM »
I'm sorry, I was trying to use humor to give an impression of how long a typical Canon battery might last while using GPS. I should've known not everyone pays attention to smileys. Next time I will use [IRONY]-tags.
You had started saying "Gps is not a real battery hog " so I was not sure. But this thread is for laughing so please feel free to continue humor :)  (Plus, I have forgotten to put a smile too)

SJTstudios

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2012, 11:49:50 AM »
Really, the only problems I have are 3 things. The wifi is small, and either won't work for long ranges, or will drain too mush battery. The gps will be like new apple maps, because, it's experimental. And lastly the buttons, the original 60d's buttons were horrible, so I'm a little upset they are throwing the 6d in a 60d body.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2012, 11:49:50 AM »

weixing

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2012, 01:35:23 PM »
Hi,
Really, the only problems I have are 3 things. The wifi is small, and either won't work for long ranges, or will drain too mush battery. The gps will be like new apple maps, because, it's experimental. And lastly the buttons, the original 60d's buttons were horrible, so I'm a little upset they are throwing the 6d in a 60d body.
    I own a 60D and I actually prefer the 60D buttons (those beside the top LCD) compare to 7D buttons. One button, one function... clean and simple.  ;D

Have a nice day.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2012, 03:51:46 PM »
I own a 60D and I actually prefer the 60D buttons (those beside the top LCD) compare to 7D buttons. One button, one function... clean and simple.  ;D

Some people or companies think that computer mice with two buttons confuse people - for me I'd like more functions to be available next to the lcd, but it's hardly essential for me.

The thing I really like about the 60d layout is that I can do nearly everything with the right hand, and I'm ok with the multicontroller (I have never used a joystick camera body) - so if the 6d builds on this Rebel-type layout it might not be pr0 but it seems to work for a lot of people, including me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2012, 03:51:46 PM »