Gear Talk > Reviews

Review - Canon EF 100 f/2.8L IS Macro

<< < (2/18) > >>

Ahhh, the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS.  My first L-series lens.  My 'gateway drug'.  Love it.  It's mounted on my camera right now, just waiting for me to pick it up and use it. 

I've got the 90mm Tamron Macro... If you can't afford the 100L, I've been pleased with the Tamron. It is a dedicated macro lens for me as I have the 135L if I want portraits. AF is decent, but I tend to do live view manual focus for macro anyway. It's very sharp. I'm sure it compares to the 100L in IQ.

Anybody here owning 100L and 135L?
Comparison of my copies make clear winner 135 @ F2.8. Do you have any opposite experience?
(Of course comparison is done on NON-macro shots...)

I've owned the non-L version of the lens many, many years...  wonder lens.  I've never thought of upgrading to L because I couldn't imagine a sharper lens, and to me, the IS hold little value as nearly all macro must really be done on a tripod...

I'm curious about the difference the rounded aperture blades of the L makes - I can't say I've ever been bothered with the non-L's effect, but it would be interested to see an A - B comparison between the lenses that highlights this difference.

Great review - I totally agree. A remarkable piece of engeneering.

I used this lens a lot... until i got my 85 1.2 II which is now mounted most of the time because the 100L is just a little too long for portraits on APS-C.

But still, my most favorite shots where taken with it.

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version