Gear Talk > Canon General

Is it worth it...for me?

<< < (2/9) > >>

sandymandy:
Get 5dmk3 first. It will be your companion for years. Then just add 50mm 1.4 lens from whatever brand u prefer. FF already got a bit more of shallow DOF and i think 50mm 1.2L is nice but its not good if its gonna be about the only lens u are using. It really only shines at wide open and besides that it gets beaten by cheaper alternatives.
Of course the higher f/numbers wont give u bad results its just....I think 50mm 1.2L shouldnt be the first pro lens if u dont already have several other lenses for backup.

and believe me u will come to a point in ur photo career where u want to try something else than bokeh craving

Perhaps even the 6D might be good for you. You should really test it out in a store in ur area. Maybe u like it so u can save some more money compared to 5dmk3.
Besides that i think its not about "am i worth the FF camera and L lens?". If you are happy with what you are doing u are a good photographer.

koolman:
Heh Fonts

I'm not sure why you feel the need to spend so much $$$ so quickly - your shots are very nice with existing equipment. You seem to have good natural skill for someone shooting only a few short months.

As I see you like portraits with blurred backgrounds, maybe consider a longer lens. Id'e skip the 50mm options and go to 85mm options. Either:

1) Canon 85mm 1.8 = classic lens not expensive.

2) Samyang 85mm 1.4 MF lens - in the right hands this can produce stellar results.

cocopop05:
My two cents.

Definitely 85mm if you like mainly shooting portraits.

Now, regarding the equipment.  Photography is a recent hobby for me.  I bought my first DSLR, a 5D Mark III with the 24-105mm f/4 L lens and a Speedlight 600ex-rt.

A family friend has a 60D with 18-200mm lens.  We both take lots of family photos, his family photos are very similar to mine in terms of content.  However, there is a massive gap in technical terms between our photos.  My family think I am a gifted photographer (don't all families have inflated options on us), purely because my photos are so much sharper and clearer. 

Now I am new to photography and by no means am I a gifted photographer.  I make tonnes of mistakes technically and on a composition and lighting level.  I have so much to learn.

What I am trying to say here is that having high quality gear gives your photos a quality that cannot be replicated by lower end equipment.  It is a quality that may be hard to quantify, but people do notice.

If you have some budget to spend on new and higher quality equipment, then I would encourage you to go ahead.  It will make a noticeable difference.  I also highly recommending hiring the equipment you are looking to buy.  That way you can see if the improvements are enough to warrant buying new gear and will help you decide which lens you prefer :)

picturesbyme:
1. go FF (5D2-it will be a good backup later, if you won't do it as a pro go for a deal on a 5D3)
2. since you like primes I'd check these out (inexpensive, yet great quality)
- canon 85 1.8 (you'll love it on crop and will be even better on ff)
- sigma 50 1.4 (smooth finish), I shot these with the 1st version.. still not that bad (http://atlanticpicture.com/p460965309)
- canon 200  2.8L
(Disagree with the lenses are losing value faster than bodies comment but that's another topic...)

You already have a good skills so you prob. already realized it's not the gear that makes the photos.. :)
Some big name in the industry shot with only one or two lenses for years.. if you have a little time I suggest to
see some of the vids here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/creativelive
http://www.youtube.com/user/BHPhotoVideoProAudio

sdsr:
Don't worry about whether someone else will notice differences in the finished results - better equipment is more enjoyable to use (some of us like the actual process of *using* a camera) and if you find a camera and/or lens more enjoyable to use you will likely end up taking better photos anyway.

If you don't know someone with a FF camera, do what I did and rent one (ditto lenses you're interested in); doing so isn't exactly free, but you may end up saving money (or not!); and there's no substitute for hands-on experience.

One last thing - if you like portraits with blurred background, consider going longer (esp. if you end up FF); 135L is not only fantastic in its own right, but considerably less expensive than 50L or 85L.  Or try a good zoom such as Canon's 70-200 f/4 IS (or a 70-200 2.8 - needn't be Canon).  If you want 85, consider the Sigma.

Have fun!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version