October 31, 2014, 12:02:57 AM

Author Topic: Canon 6D won't turn on.  (Read 11359 times)

BruinBear

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 6D won't turn on.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 12:14:03 PM »
I said the quality of MY 6D is CRAP.  Not all 6D's.  I still feel it's a high quality camera despite the on button being very intermittent.  I would recommend it to all my amateur photographer buddies who don't shoot sports.

On a side note,
I discovered over the weekend that if I just LEAVE the switch on and let it power itself off or sleep after 1-2 minutes, it works.  It's just when I use it and turn it on and off, it sometimes doesn't turn on.  Only heavy usage causes this issue.  Perhaps the electronics are overheating?  If I turn it on and take 5-10 shots, it will work flawlessly when I turn it on and off.  But if I take 30-50 shots in 5 minutes or take over 2 minutes of video, it may not turn back on until I wait a few hours and take out the batteries/card and flick the power button on about 10 times to get it to work again. 

I haven't dropped it off to Canon yet since I want to use it this week to take some pictures.  I just leave the switch on the entire time just to be safe...

It's complicated as to why I can't return it to the retailer.  It was part of a 6D kit that my friend and I purchased together.  I paid 1600 for the body, he paid 750 ish for the lens. 
But he ended up selling the lens to some stranger on Craigslist so now I can't return the full kit in exchange for a new kit unless we HUNT down that guy that bought the lens and convince him to return it. 

Thats unfortunate. Were you able to try the camera with a different battery to make sure that its not the battery thats defective? There shouldnt be anything overheating in the camera, only very extended video durations could cause heat issues.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:16:29 PM by BruinBear »
6D, 60D, 17-40L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 24-105L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 40mm Pancake, Helios 44-M4 (55mm f/2), 1.4X Extender III, 430EX II, Yongnuo YN-622 Flash Triggers.
EOS-M, 22mm, EF Adapter.
And Canonet QL-17 GIII Film!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 12:14:03 PM »

bmwzimmer

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 12:31:19 PM »
Not the battery or memory card.  I have 3 batteries and multiple cards. 

I did power it up yesterday and took a handful of images and it appears the problem kind of went away. Hopefully it doesn't come back when I'm in the middle of something important.  I'm taking the camera to the night market tonight and will take lots of photos so we'll see.
6D, 70D, Zenitar 16 f/2.8 Fisheye, Rokinon 14mm Cine, 35 f/2 IS, 85 f/1.2L mk2, 24-70 f/2.8L mk2, Sigma 180mm f/3.5, 70-200 2.8L IS mk1

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »
Id send it to the customer support, this sure isnt normal.

bmwzimmer

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 09:35:20 AM »
Canon Customer service is great.  They have decided to replace the camera with a brand new one!!!
6D, 70D, Zenitar 16 f/2.8 Fisheye, Rokinon 14mm Cine, 35 f/2 IS, 85 f/1.2L mk2, 24-70 f/2.8L mk2, Sigma 180mm f/3.5, 70-200 2.8L IS mk1

xialibaren

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 02:04:50 PM »
Don't know if you guys have this problem fixed yet. I have exactly the same problem. After 200 or 300 shots in one morning, my 6d shuts off and cannot be turned back on again until I wait for a few hours. I have sent it to canon service center twice and the problem remains. The first time they just did firmware upgrade. I got the same problem first time I used it after the repair. The 2nd time they said that they replaced power assembly.  I received it yesterday and took it out this morning. I took 297 shots in 4 hours this morning. It died again at 10:30am.  I lost many photo opportunities (one of them is once a life time opportunity).  Now I am asked to send it back the 3rd time!

I like the image quality of 6d at high ISO/low light. I could give 6d a 5star rating if it's reliable. But now I can't even give it 1 star.  It was really really frustrating experience.

Just because you got a bad copy doesnt mean all of them are crap...calm down and just submit a claim to the retailer.

If it doesnt work then exchange it for a new one. Its not rocket science here.

I said the quality of MY 6D is CRAP.  Not all 6D's.  I still feel it's a high quality camera despite the on button being very intermittent.  I would recommend it to all my amateur photographer buddies who don't shoot sports.

On a side note,
I discovered over the weekend that if I just LEAVE the switch on and let it power itself off or sleep after 1-2 minutes, it works.  It's just when I use it and turn it on and off, it sometimes doesn't turn on.  Only heavy usage causes this issue.  Perhaps the electronics are overheating?  If I turn it on and take 5-10 shots, it will work flawlessly when I turn it on and off.  But if I take 30-50 shots in 5 minutes or take over 2 minutes of video, it may not turn back on until I wait a few hours and take out the batteries/card and flick the power button on about 10 times to get it to work again. 

I haven't dropped it off to Canon yet since I want to use it this week to take some pictures.  I just leave the switch on the entire time just to be safe...

It's complicated as to why I can't return it to the retailer.  It was part of a 6D kit that my friend and I purchased together.  I paid 1600 for the body, he paid 750 ish for the lens. 
But he ended up selling the lens to some stranger on Craigslist so now I can't return the full kit in exchange for a new kit unless we HUNT down that guy that bought the lens and convince him to return it. 

bmwzimmer

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 02:13:47 PM »
After 3 times, they should replace your 6D.  Only Good thing about that was they gave me a full retail box so I have an extra battery, battery charger, manuals, cables, strap, etc... 
It's been about 5K-6K shots so far since it was replaced and has not given me any further issues...   

You're be in love with the camera again once you get a working one.  The problem is pretty rare.

xialibaren

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 02:26:07 PM »
I got exactly the same problem. Sent it in twice and problem remains. The first time I sent it in they upgraded firmware.  The 2nd time they said that they replaced power assembly. I got it back last night. This morning I took it out at 6:30am, shoot 297 pictures in 4 hours, and the camera died at 10:30am. Called canon and was asked to ship it back 3rd time! 

Have you guys got a satisfactory resolution?  I don't know if their 3rd try will resolve anything. It seems to me the problem is not isolated. If more people used 6d more heavily, the problem report will increase significantly.

Just because you got a bad copy doesnt mean all of them are crap...calm down and just submit a claim to the retailer.

If it doesnt work then exchange it for a new one. Its not rocket science here.

On a side note,

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 02:26:07 PM »

xialibaren

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 02:40:30 PM »
Thanks for quick reply. I guess that I'll just request replacement.
The power is back on now. I'll keep it for one more day to cover Thunder over Michigan airshow tomorrow.

After 3 times, they should replace your 6D.  Only Good thing about that was they gave me a full retail box so I have an extra battery, battery charger, manuals, cables, strap, etc... 
It's been about 5K-6K shots so far since it was replaced and has not given me any further issues...   

You're be in love with the camera again once you get a working one.  The problem is pretty rare.

freedom

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 12:20:25 AM »
My 6D would not turn on also.

I checked this forum to see what was being said.

Did not find a solution for my problem.

Rechecking my camera...I discovered the screw on my camera grip was loose.

Tightened the screw and every thing is working again.

Now happy with my 6D again.......It works great...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 12:20:25 AM »