August 20, 2014, 12:38:08 PM

Author Topic: The Future Speedlites, Not Far Off Now? [CR2]  (Read 9652 times)

SJTstudios

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: The Future Speedlites, Not Far Off Now? [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 08:01:59 PM »
When questioned about the possibility of a Speedlite 600EX without the “RT”, I was told that it was possible, but not in the immediate plans.</p>
I do believe in some countries, the Rt feature is not approved, and is not included in the models sold there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 08:01:59 PM »

Bob Howland

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
I wish instead of bringing out new flashguns they would bring out a receiver unit for the ST-E3-RT to make the 580's compatible...

That would be an ST-E2!

I really don't understand the dissatisfaction here, Canon did a very good job of making the new flash compatible with 100% functionality of the legacy gear going all the way back to the first EX's. They didn't have to include optical triggering reverse compatibility, it wouldn't have altered my decision to buy three 600's and an ST-E3-RT and having used them for a few weeks I know I will be buying more, but give credit where it is due, Canon did include it. You can buy one 600EX-RT and if you already own older EX Speedlites or a camera with a commander built in you are good to go.

You don't understand the dissatisfaction?? We just want Canon to introduce something comparable to the Phottix Odin. They've already introduced the transmitter half but seem intent on forcing us to buy new flashes instead of introducing the dedicated receiver. For your information, the ST-E2 signalling doesn't work very well in bright light and is very restricted in range. Now do you understand our dissatisfaction??

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 10:46:30 PM »
No, I still don't understand your dissatisfaction, Canon won't make the receiver you covet, there is no reason for them too as if they did it would cannibalise sales of any new lower powered units, like the rumoured 450EX-RT.

I disagree - I understand the dissatisfaction just fine.  People are also dissatisfied that the 5DIII is too expensive, that the 24-70/2.8L II doesn't have IS, and that leprechauns don't bring them pots of gold and supertele lenses.  :P

The reality is that Canon is a business, and their obligation is to deliver value to their shareholders.  It's absolutely correct that if Canon released such an RF receiver, it would drastically cut into sales of the new flash units - clearly, that's not in their financial interests.  They want people to invest in their new systems, it means more revenue for them.  My personal hypothesis is that such a receiver is already designed and ready to go, and Canon will produce/release it at some future time, when sales of the 600EX-RT and new 450EX-RT have slowed significantly.  But maybe not...  Personally, I'd like such a receiver - that would enable me to trigger a monolight/speedlite combo setup w/o resorrting to PWs.  But I understand why Canon hasn't made one for me.  While they're at it, an MT-24EX-RT would be great, too.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

starship

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
just buy yourself some Yongnuo YN-622C ettl-triggers
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 12:48:38 AM »
just buy yourself some Yongnuo YN-622C ettl-triggers

the YN-622Cs are available for about 45$ a piece and convert all your "old" canon ex-II-flashes into "RT"-style light-poppers. and 2nd curtain is no problem (canons rt flahes can´t do that).

canon is not only pretty late in the radio-ttl-manual-remote-flash-business. they are trying to sell us cheap technology with an absurd "premium". well, i don´t buy that anymore.

try some Yongnuo YN-622C or Phottix Odin stuff instead. both systems are very reliable.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:56:09 AM by starship »
40D (2x) / 70-200 2,8 / 17-55 2,8 / sigma 18-35 1,8 / 85 1,8 /  5 ettl-flashes / yn-622 ttl-triggers ....

Bob Howland

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 07:30:41 AM »
The reality is that Canon is a business, and their obligation is to deliver value to their shareholders. 

And any buyer-seller relationship is essentially adversarial and the person you're dealing with is your mortal enemy, to be exploited to the maximum extent they will accept.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 08:19:03 AM »
I don't know about 'mortal enemies' - dead customers don't buy much.  :P  But the rest of it is pretty much correct.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Ryan_W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 10:46:34 PM »
Well it's about time. I'm just getting into speedlites and am not interested in:

1.) Spending $1,200+ for a two light kit, or
2.) Buying a bunch of optical-only flashes and being restricted to line of sight.

A 4XX RT flash, if miracles exist, will be priced at or below $399 and I'll be able to afford two for the price of one 600RT.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 10:46:34 PM »

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: just buy yourself some Yongnuo YN-622C ettl-triggers
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 10:54:15 PM »
they are trying to sell us cheap technology with an absurd "premium". well, i don´t buy that anymore.

try some Yongnuo YN-622C or Phottix Odin stuff instead. both systems are very reliable.

Well, here the price difference between a 580EX2 last year and a 600EX-RT today is less then the price of an Odin rec. (The 430EX2 didn't change in price, just to rule out economical fluctuations). Also Canons solution offers Autoflash and five independent groups - w/o taking additional space or having more parts to take care of. The "ready"-confirmation on the transmitter is nice too.
Sure, 2nd curtain would be nice, as well as retaining the groupless slave mode or triggering studio strobes w/o having to rely on the sync port - but I tend to miss the RT-system when using the Nikons...

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 11:24:13 PM »
Well it's about time. I'm just getting into speedlites and am not interested in:

1.) Spending $1,200+ for a two light kit, or
2.) Buying a bunch of optical-only flashes and being restricted to line of sight.

A 4XX RT flash, if miracles exist, will be priced at or below $399 and I'll be able to afford two for the price of one 600RT.

The 4XX RT flash, when it is released, will almost certainly not have a transmitter. Add in another $300 for that.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

tmensonides

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 03:05:15 PM »
Hey,

This might not be the right thread but I didn't see one that was way better. I'm still on the "optical" only system and was looking at moving to radio.  My question (that I can't find an answer on by Googling) is can two photographer radio sync with the same flash units?  I.e. with optical, during a wedding reception you could "four corner the room" and have all the flashes "usually" fire no matter which on of two or three people was shooting.  With the radio system, can you do the same setup?  Two-way sync to multiple masters?

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 03:11:36 PM »
Hey,

This might not be the right thread but I didn't see one that was way better. I'm still on the "optical" only system and was looking at moving to radio.  My question (that I can't find an answer on by Googling) is can two photographer radio sync with the same flash units?  I.e. with optical, during a wedding reception you could "four corner the room" and have all the flashes "usually" fire no matter which on of two or three people was shooting.  With the radio system, can you do the same setup?  Two-way sync to multiple masters?

I would think that would work if both of you set your transmitter to the same channel.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

tmensonides

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 03:32:48 PM »
Hey,

I would think that would work if both

of you set your transmitter to the same channel.

I know it works with pocket wizards but the way Canon describes the link between the camera and flash with a camera specific pin code etc I wwas wondering if maybe it would either freeze the system or make it unreliable....

Anyone here have the gear to test?  :)

tmensonides

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 04:12:53 PM »

I know it works with pocket wizards but the way Canon describes the link between the camera and flash with a camera specific pin code etc I wwas wondering if maybe it would either freeze the system or make it unreliable....

Anyone here have the gear to test?  :)

I have the gear and have tested it, the answer is yes, you can control one set of slaves from multiple masters, just assign the same channel and four digit ID number. The masters can be either 600EX-RT or the ST-E3-RT. You have full control over all functionality of the slaves from any of the masters, but the first master to link is considered the commander and is the only master that can fire linked shooting (where you fire all the cameras together from one camera, obviously not applicable for two shooter situations) and is the only master to display a green link lamp, the other masters display an orange link lamp.

I will attach a copy of page 60 of the manual below.

Thanks! 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 04:12:53 PM »

SJTstudios

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 06:31:09 PM »
I disagree - I understand the dissatisfaction just fine.  People are also dissatisfied that the 5DIII is too expensive, that the 24-70/2.8L II doesn't have IS, and that leprechauns don't bring them pots of gold and supertele lenses.  :P
Touché!

I have been playing with my old RF602 remotes and I can use a 600EX-RT or the ST-E3-RT in the hotshoe and fire the Yongnuo's via the PC socket, if I ever get my own set of studio lights and want to use everything at the same time they would be Einsteins via the Cybersync system connected to my PC port, this would give me the fullest control of every light from the camera.

Though at the moment I am really liking the RF system! If the 450EX-RT comes in around $350 I am so all over them.

I'm going to side with him, because I want this.

But I side more so with you because I understand canons marketing. +1 to you

Alex

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 06:40:53 PM »
I wish instead of bringing out new flashguns they would bring out a receiver unit for the ST-E3-RT to make the 580's compatible...

That would be an ST-E2!

I really don't understand the dissatisfaction here, Canon did a very good job of making the new flash compatible with 100% functionality of the legacy gear going all the way back to the first EX's. They didn't have to include optical triggering reverse compatibility, it wouldn't have altered my decision to buy three 600's and an ST-E3-RT and having used them for a few weeks I know I will be buying more, but give credit where it is due, Canon did include it. You can buy one 600EX-RT and if you already own older EX Speedlites or a camera with a commander built in you are good to go.

Yes that's all and great but canon are/have fazed out the ST-E2 with its replacement the grand ST-E3-RT which is meant to be an upgrade?? What im saying is instead of upgrading flashguns that already work fine why not make a ST-E3-RT with optical as well then it will be back compatible.. The new 600EX-RT flashguns are great im buying two with the ST-E3-RT, but it just makes my 580II's ( which aren't 6 months old ) a little redundant.. Vent over :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 06:40:53 PM »