September 01, 2014, 11:03:48 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark III Discoloration/Pealing; Slowly Growing  (Read 16687 times)

Adderal

Canon 5D Mark III Discoloration/Pealing; Slowly Growing
« on: December 12, 2012, 01:40:20 AM »
Hey everyone,

I have a 5D Mark III which I purchased new, directly from Amazon when they were released early this year.
This summer, around June/July I noticed what appeared to be discoloration or pealing paint under the camera where the metal body meets the plastic. It was initially very minor and I thought I must have scuffed it somehow on a table or while the field. However, it has been consistently 'growing' ever since then. It has grown from pea sized to the entire bottom of the camera within a few months.

Examples of this phenomenon are attached.

I am not one to coddle my equipment; but I also don't throw it around either. I certainly don't drag it around on things which would peal off the paint like this. Usually a tripod mount is on the bottom which would prevent this anyway (I took it off specifically for these pictures).

If you look closely, the discoloration is also along the screw holes and speaker grill. The discoloration is also not uniform. I don't believe it's a result of being dragged or rubbed against anything. Is this some sort of chemical reaction to something? Only the bottom area of the camera is affected. The top, front, and lenses are all flawless.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 5D Mark III Discoloration/Pealing; Slowly Growing
« on: December 12, 2012, 01:40:20 AM »

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 5D Mark III Discoloration/Pealing; Slowly Growing
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 02:32:21 AM »
After how many months (and based on daily use?) the first Discoloration/Pealing start to appear?

I have my 5D MK III only two months and I am using a BG. I (still) don't have this issue. Maybe it is also occuring to a certain productionrange?
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 02:47:55 AM »
Ahh nothing like a well used and worn piece of gear~
One of the major electronic stores around here has a MarkIII on display and last I saw it the paint was all worn off the same way at the same area. I don't quite understand why it's that part of the camera, people don't touch or hold onto there that much?
Well, if it could be a potential problem then I'd get black tape

spinworkxroy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 03:03:17 AM »
It's quite puzzling really.
My 5Dmk3 also started "peeling" at the bottom..of all places..i can't figure out why..it's not like i touch that area but something clearly is and i don't know what..

janvehrenkamp

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 03:25:17 AM »
I'm guessing that you wear your camera around your neck!?

I have similar wear off at the lower left side, as I have my camera hanging of a shoulder strap.
It must be from the friction with the clothes.
I was shocked, when I first noticed it(, as my 7D has no such flaws) and I immediately covered it with black duct-tape to keep it from spreading.

First the inferior weather sealing¹, now this, let's see what else is in store for us.

(¹I had a moisture failure in light rain, while my 7D did not complain in the same light rain and the 7D even has endured very heavy rain(for european standards) without a weather sealed lens attached to it. Sad. :|)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:27:26 AM by janvehrenkamp »

Adderal

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 03:27:27 AM »
The camera leaves the apartment about once per week. I do a lot of travel photography.

Still, I don't see how my use could be so damaging so quickly. I've sat and tried to think of the way I hold it, store it, and environments I use it. Nothing rings a bell as to what could be causing it. Even more bizarre, as you guys have noticed, is it's only affecting the bottom of the camera. Everywhere else the camera is flawless, even the plastic surrounding the damaged metal.

While not in use, the camera is stored in a Naneu Pro camera bag with a soft-sleeve insert along with my other accessories and lenses. Speaking of, none of my lenses show this wear either.

I've notified Canon CPS tonight. I'll keep you all updated when they get back to me.

Adderal

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 03:33:36 AM »
I'm guessing that you wear your camera around your neck!?

I have similar wear off at the lower left side, as I have my camera hanging of a shoulder strap.
It must be from the friction with the clothes.

Yikes! Yes, I normally use a strap around my neck/shoulder to carry it around.

Canon better fix this for free if that is the reason it's wearing off. My four year old XSi is in better condition than my 5D Mark III which isn't even a year old.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 03:33:36 AM »

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 03:56:56 AM »
I have flashbacks of a product issue statement from Canon about this very problem. A certain product range was affected by discoloration over time due to some plastic issue. But I can't remember if that was the 5D3 or some other model. But looks similar certainly.
There was some dicussion on it here as well.
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

MarkII

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 04:04:29 AM »
After some months of using it with a Black Rapid strap, mine actually wore through the pocket on a pair of trousers - but there is no sign of the paint wearing off like this.

Autocall

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 05:04:34 AM »
Actually it looks like the 'lock' button is also showing abrasion on its bottom end.
as if it had been exposed to the same polishing machine..
It can't be chemical.
check your kevlar wears

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 05:10:29 AM »
I have flashbacks of a product issue statement from Canon about this very problem. A certain product range was affected by discoloration over time due to some plastic issue. But I can't remember if that was the 5D3 or some other model. But looks similar certainly.
There was some dicussion on it here as well.
I think you might mean http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/08/canon-rebel-t4i650-recall-again/ ? :)
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

AUGS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 06:01:31 AM »
As others have noted, this looks like abrasion from clothing or similar.  Especially evident on the harder edges (meaning sharper corners) around the assembly screw holes and the speaker holes.  The discolouration is actually the magnesium body underneath the anodised surface coming through.  In other words, the anodised surface has been "polished" off.  Do you wear a heavy fabric like denim?
I'd say this is happening when the camera isn't in use, and the camera is hanging from the shoulder strap, possibly swinging and rubbing against your body and clothing.
Sorry to see it happen.  Good luck.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 06:01:31 AM »

mmp

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 07:44:03 AM »
Since the damage appears to be along the bottom edges on the back mostly, I do suspect that it must have been rubbing against something, maybe a zipper on your clothing or something like that...but it does seem excessive for its age, as if the paint hasn't cured properly.

But hey, it might become all the rage at some point...like those 'roadworn', but brand-new, guitars that you can buy these days!

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 07:50:38 AM »
Photo 2 does, by the way, show that it really is a production error - or the side panel would've worn equally. I'd venture a few phone calls to see if you can get it repaired under warranty.
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 07:50:38 AM »