April 24, 2014, 10:27:32 PM

Author Topic: Canon Cannot Keep Screwing It's Customers Over  (Read 42021 times)

Radiating

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Canon Cannot Keep Screwing It's Customers Over
« on: December 20, 2012, 11:58:16 PM »
I'm writing this post mainly to criticize Canon for it's recent outrageous pricing policies, and to simply say that they cannot keep doing what they are doing.

I was one of the first people to support Canon's new higher pricing due to the yen/dollar conversion, which in a way justified it, but now Canon seems to be actively trying to destabilize the market for their gear and alienate all of their customers.

The specific issue I am talking about are the huge price cuts and markups on their older and newer bodies.

Let's talk the last 3 months because this is the most relevant time frame.

3 months ago, buying a new 5D Mark III for $3400 was a bargain, and buying a new 5D Mark II for $2050 was a bargain, and buying a T4i for $750 was a bargain. So I got my 5DIII & 5D II (but waited on the t4i)

How much are these cameras worth 3 months later? $2500, $1300, & $480, and I picked up a new T4i for $480 today.

That's  $1920. Gone in 3 months. In depreciation. On $6000 of cameras.

Let's compare Nikon on the other hand. 3 months ago, the D800 new for $2800 was a bargain, now it's a bargain for $2450. With the Nikon D700, 3 months ago it went for $1650, now it's $1550, the D7000 went for $860, 3 months ago and now it's $780.

That's only $520 in depreciation. Which is nearly 4 times less than $1920.

Wow.

This means I could theoretically own nearly 12 Nikon bodies for what it costs to own 3 Canon ones with their new insane mark ups and mark downs.

Why is Canon seemingly actively screwing over it's buyers with insane price cuts, and equally insane introductory mark ups? The only reason I can come up with is that they want to lose customers and lose credibility.

Considering this insanity, I just don't feel comfortable buying any Canon gear any more. Based on this trend, the 24-70mm Mark II should hit $1600 by March, and then it's perfectly believable that when the 24-70mm f/4.0 IS Macro comes out, the 24-105mm which now sells for $750 will be sold for $520 within weeks or months from now. The 35mm f/2.0 IS which I was also interested in which goes for $849.99 now should go for $499 in March as well.

Canon may think themselves smart for playing pricing games, but they are trading brand loyalty and credibility for profit, which is not a sustainable strategy in the long run.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:12:48 AM by Radiating »

canon rumors FORUM

Canon Cannot Keep Screwing It's Customers Over
« on: December 20, 2012, 11:58:16 PM »

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Cannot Keep Screwing It's Customers Over
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 12:04:20 AM »
Did that make you feel better? 

nonac

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Marty Beck Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 12:08:33 AM »
I'm with you.  I could get my 5d Mk III kit $700-800 less today than I paid 5 months go.  That's a lot of money to me that i just threw away.  I feel like I basically gave a charitable contribution to Canon.  That won't happen again as I will no longer be an early adopter of anything they bring to market.
5d Mark III, 24mm f/1.4L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 135 f/2L, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, EF 1.4x III

fonts

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 12:16:12 AM »
Doesn't it come down to the fact that Canon can't MAKE a company sell their product to a specific price..

PackLight

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 12:18:17 AM »
It makes me sad to that I can save money by waiting a few months. Boo Hoo ... I'm sad I didn't buy as soon as it was released and pay more.

ChilledXpress

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 12:22:11 AM »
You should be on the other thread "right now i am not happy to be a canon user" and you two can have a pitty party.  Booo hooo hooo hoo !!!!

Still stunned that people complain about spending their money. Damn Canon... they forced me to buy a great camera and now, months later, I don't like the price I paid because I couldn't wait. They screwed me!!!! Whaaaa whaaa... Adults make decisions about where to spend their money... you have no one to blame but yourself if you have buyer’s remorse. Unless you're 8 years old, then it really is mommy and daddys fault (sorry for your pain). If you can't afford the price of entry and it's a financial hardship... you shouldn't be spending money you don’t have.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:40:35 AM by ChilledXpress »

Renegade Runner

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 12:26:43 AM »
Canon, like most companies markup their prices for those who must have the latest gadget first.  After those people are ripped off the prices slowly start to come down and are aimed at the consumers waiting for a deal.
Rebel T1i, EOS 6D, EF 24-105, EFS 10-22, MP-E 65, 100 2.8, EF 100 2.8, 70-300 L, Sigma 150-500

www.pixeltrot.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 12:26:43 AM »

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 12:27:21 AM »
Ahh, finally someone dares to speak out. I got my 5D3 in May and have taken so far around 5000 pictures, I wish I hadn't taken those.

One question, what would you do with 12 Nikon bodies?

Radiating

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 12:39:11 AM »
Did that make you feel better?

My primary income is from investments. I really have no personal feelings when it comes to taking a loss on something. It's business.

My point is simply that Canon is actively trying to screw over it's customers without lube with absurd and insulting markups.

I am simply pointing out facts, and giving both photographers and Canon business advice. Photography product sales are not driven by mark ups and mark downs, they are however driven by stability and trust. Once Canon starts to burn customers they may never see those customers return. Canon has very capable competition, and trust and stability may be all it takes to convert people.

nonac

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Marty Beck Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 12:40:45 AM »
You should be on the other thread "right now i am not happy to be a canon user" and you two can have a pitty party.  Booo hooo hooo hoo !!!!

Still stunned that people complain about spending their money. Damn Canon... they forced me to buy a great camera and now, months later, I don't like the price I paid because I couldn't wait. They screwed me!!!! Whaaaa whaaa... Adults make decisions about where to spend their money... you have no one to blame but yourself if you have buyer’s remorse. If you can't afford the price of entry and it's a financial hardship... you shouldn't be spending money you don’t have.

I could afford what I paid, I even held out about 4 months after release to see if the price would move, it did not, so I bought it.  Then the price starts falling.  I could afford it, I just don't like wasting money that could have been spent on other gear.
5d Mark III, 24mm f/1.4L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 135 f/2L, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, EF 1.4x III

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 12:45:54 AM »
Sometimes, it's also the first adopters fault.  I'm not saying Canon doesn't get any blame on why prices are not stable.  Law of supply and demand states that the more the demand, the higher the cost of the goods especially if supply can't cope up.  Well, it's a "sickness" actually.  It's very contagious.  I guess, if you really want good prices for Canon (as with non-Canon) gadgets and have it clean and bug-free, it's better to wait at least 3-6 months before buying one.  I always restrain myself on buying the "newest" and the "best" gadgets.  I had a policy for myself.  If I really want something, I must be prepared to wait.  Sometimes the urge just goes away after a night or two.  If even after 6 months the itch is still there then it means I really want it.  As of now, I'm really asking myself if I really want the 6D or the 5D3.  Sometimes, one look at my pictures and I reminded myself that it's not the camera that counts.  It's the man behind the camera.  I've got a lot of friends with newer cameras than my old 500D but they're always asking me why they can't get pictures that they wanted the way I got mine even with all their new gadgets.  I just told them that experience is irreplaceable.  Just take your camera and shoot irregardless if it's old or new.  The pleasure I get from photography is always from the feeling I get after viewing the pictures that I have taken and not after viewing the camera or lens that I used to take them.  I'm sorry but I'm always pissed at seeing people with better gadgets and yet they are still complaining.

ChilledXpress

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »

Still stunned that people complain about spending their money. Damn Canon... they forced me to buy a great camera and now, months later, I don't like the price I paid because I couldn't wait. They screwed me!!!! Whaaaa whaaa... Adults make decisions about where to spend their money... you have no one to blame but yourself if you have buyer’s remorse. If you can't afford the price of entry and it's a financial hardship... you shouldn't be spending money you don’t have.

I could afford what I paid, I even held out about 4 months after release to see if the price would move, it did not, so I bought it.  Then the price starts falling.  I could afford it, I just don't like wasting money that could have been spent on other gear.

Again... buyers remorse. You should have waited until the mark 7 comes out, then you can score a mark 3 for for under 500$ on Ebay... in 2022! What I don't understand is how this is a "new" thing for some here. Like you were totally unaware there will be a price drop... A search of the threads on this forum will show that even before a new version comes out someone is asking "How long until the price drops on model X?"

I bought a 7D in 2009... I'm soooo pissed at the current price!!! Canon is horrible to lower the price that much. I wasted sooo much money. If only I had waited 3 years. The reality is that I bought the camera new and have enjoyed every single moment with it during this time... I was NOT ripped off. I put on my big boy pants, bought the camera and went out and took photos. I knew exactly what I was doing and I did not open a thread complaing about how evil Canon marketing is. 

Take some solace in the fact that after the 21st you won’t have to wallow in the shame of spending more than you think you should have. Have a Happy Mayan New year!!!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:16:01 AM by ChilledXpress »

Orangutan

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 12:49:36 AM »
Adults make decisions about where to spend their money... you have no one to blame but yourself if you have buyer’s remorse.

+1

My primary income is from investments. I really have no personal feelings when it comes to taking a loss on something. It's business.

My point is simply that Canon is actively trying to screw over it's customers without lube with absurd and insulting markups.

How ironic: your income is from investments, yet you're upset with Canon for maximizing shareholder value.  The mind wobbles!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 12:49:36 AM »

bigmag13

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 12:50:15 AM »
wow, with that reasoning ( from OP) I should NOT have bought my 5D3 to shoot the gigs I did ( which for an event and wedding photog like myself, the best cam available is needed most times) and wait to save money so that I can buy TWO pro bodies.

hmm...

My math says that from July til now the 7 jobs kinda paid for it over 5 times.
5D3,5D2,6D,70-200 2.8Lii, 135L, 24-70Lii, Sigma 15 fisheye, Sigma 35 1.4(A), Zeiss 2/50, 600rt x3 and a st-e3 RT

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 12:59:56 AM »
I'm writing this post mainly to criticize Canon for it's recent outrageous pricing policies, and to simply say that they cannot keep doing what they are doing.

I think we all learned a lesson this year.

When the 5DIII was announced, there was a big outcry on the Internets that it was overpriced.
And yet, you went ahead and bought the 5DIII anyway.
Well, I feel that you got your fair warning - but you chose to ignore it.

Of course I also think that Canon's wacko pricing policy will backfire on them.
Looking forward, many more buyers will be choosing to wait for price drops rather than buying right away.
This will surely have some impact on Canon.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:16:43 AM by x-vision »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 12:59:56 AM »