September 02, 2014, 12:25:23 AM

Author Topic: Workaround for Loose Lens Cap on 8-15mm Fisheye  (Read 9977 times)

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
Workaround for Loose Lens Cap on 8-15mm Fisheye
« on: December 24, 2012, 04:17:25 PM »
I've heard about the loose-ness of the 8-15mm Fisheye lens cap and found a quick solution to the problem as I was opening my newly arrived lens today.

There's a scratch-resistant paper on the lens between the front element and the lens cap.  This is how Canon packaged it so I'm assuming it's pretty safe for the protruding front lens element.  If you keep that paper on before putting the lens cap back on and storing it, the lens cap stays on with much more grip and is not as easy to bump off.

I've seen posts regarding this before but couldn't find any specific to this topic.  I remember reading about someone who actually thought to super glue the hood and lens cap together.  Although not perfect, I think the paper in between is a slightly more elegant solution.  Hope this helps someone else.
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

canon rumors FORUM

Workaround for Loose Lens Cap on 8-15mm Fisheye
« on: December 24, 2012, 04:17:25 PM »

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
Re: Workaround for Loose Lens Cap on 8-15mm Fisheye
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 05:42:46 PM »
Had a similar prob on my Sigma 8-16.
2-3-4 small squares of black electrical tape always fix loose hood/cap problems.

What am I doing here.. dinner is about ready :)

Cinto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 08:46:49 PM »
I only use mine on a 5D2 so I just taped the two parts of the lens cap together.

wopbv4

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 09:21:33 PM »
Indeed, I used superglue.
for me it is important that the lens is protected in my camera bag.
In use, I do not use the lens cap/lenshood at all on my 1DX.

Initially I used your solution with scratch resistant paper, but on several of my hiking trips the lenscap came off in by backpack, so I glued the cap and the hood together
1DX, 7D and lots of gear

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 03:13:48 PM »
Indeed, I used superglue.
for me it is important that the lens is protected in my camera bag.
In use, I do not use the lens cap/lenshood at all on my 1DX.

Initially I used your solution with scratch resistant paper, but on several of my hiking trips the lenscap came off in by backpack, so I glued the cap and the hood together

nothing wrong with your solution at all.  I'm considering taping the two together anyway just for that extra bit of security.
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 04:02:55 PM »
Interesting thread. Just got mine four days ago.
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 04:57:05 PM »
I keep mine in a pelican case. Had not had this issue yet but I can see how it would happen. Mine is not all that loose though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 04:57:05 PM »

iohansen

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 10:19:19 AM »
The problem with the cap is that the it uses two latches on the cap to fix it to the hood (using inside ridges at the end of of the long hood petals). These latches does not have enough force to keep the cap in place, indeed it is possible to drop the cap merely by shaking the lens/hood/cap (if it's in the "wrong" position). So how to increase the force provided by the latches?

This is relatively easy, the cap latch mechanism is a single plastic construction that can be removed (this relates NOT to the hood with its single release button). This is done by pushing one of the latch buttons all the way in, towards the centre of the cap, and then gently pressing it down into the cap, it should release/pop out of the inside grooves.
Repeat for the opposite latch. The entire latch ring can now be removed. It has the shape of a slightly flattened circle with the latches at opposite ends. At the inside of the push buttons one can see the latch ridges that interlocks with the hood.
To increase the holding force,  the latch ridges should be made to be further apart. This can be done by placing an object inside the ring that increases the distance between the latches by approx 3-5mm (the ring will now look more circular).

Now for the scary part, use an adjustable heat gun with a narrow nozzle (10mm diameter) to reshape the plastic. The temperature of the air hitting the ring surface should not exceed 120 C, too hot and the plastic will melt (forcing you to buy a new cap).  Note that there should not be any signs of the plastic ring melting during the procedure and certainly NO smoke!

Carefully fan the centre 90 degrees of the exposed ring at opposite sides for approx 30-45 sec each (NOT the area of the latches, just the this part of the ring). Then leave the ring for a couple of minutes before removing the tensioning object in the middle. The procedure will "realign" the plastic shape, and should maintain its new shape.

You can now test the gripping force by inserting the ring into the hood (best to disconnect the hood from the lens first), if the grip is sufficient the ring can be re-inserted into the cap.  If not satisfied the procedure can be repeated with a slightly higher temperature or increased distance between the latches. Don't use excessive force when testing.

The cap should now have a much better grip. I can now lift the lens by the cap, previously the opposite was often not possible!

Note that the above procedure is done at our own risk. :)

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »
The problem with the cap is that the it uses two latches on the cap to fix it to the hood (using inside ridges at the end of of the long hood petals). These latches does not have enough force to keep the cap in place, indeed it is possible to drop the cap merely by shaking the lens/hood/cap (if it's in the "wrong" position). So how to increase the force provided by the latches?

This is relatively easy, the cap latch mechanism is a single plastic construction that can be removed (this relates NOT to the hood with its single release button). This is done by pushing one of the latch buttons all the way in, towards the centre of the cap, and then gently pressing it down into the cap, it should release/pop out of the inside grooves.
Repeat for the opposite latch. The entire latch ring can now be removed. It has the shape of a slightly flattened circle with the latches at opposite ends. At the inside of the push buttons one can see the latch ridges that interlocks with the hood.
To increase the holding force,  the latch ridges should be made to be further apart. This can be done by placing an object inside the ring that increases the distance between the latches by approx 3-5mm (the ring will now look more circular).

Now for the scary part, use an adjustable heat gun with a narrow nozzle (10mm diameter) to reshape the plastic. The temperature of the air hitting the ring surface should not exceed 120 C, too hot and the plastic will melt (forcing you to buy a new cap).  Note that there should not be any signs of the plastic ring melting during the procedure and certainly NO smoke!

Carefully fan the centre 90 degrees of the exposed ring at opposite sides for approx 30-45 sec each (NOT the area of the latches, just the this part of the ring). Then leave the ring for a couple of minutes before removing the tensioning object in the middle. The procedure will "realign" the plastic shape, and should maintain its new shape.

You can now test the gripping force by inserting the ring into the hood (best to disconnect the hood from the lens first), if the grip is sufficient the ring can be re-inserted into the cap.  If not satisfied the procedure can be repeated with a slightly higher temperature or increased distance between the latches. Don't use excessive force when testing.

The cap should now have a much better grip. I can now lift the lens by the cap, previously the opposite was often not possible!

You don't happen to reside in Norway? I have one here :)
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

iohansen

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 04:13:09 PM »

Indeed, I do reside in Norway (Kongsberg to be exact).

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 04:57:01 AM »

Interesting.  I wonder if you can get a similar affect by just using some tape.  I find I can fix 80% of the stuff around the house with tape and/or WD-40!  haha  oddly enough, my wife said that's what her mom used to say about her dad while growing up.

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 12:10:13 PM »
When I rented this lens I never had an issue with the lens cap. It stayed on until I removed it with the tabs. It never once popped off on me. Maybe they loosen up or something over time?

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 11:28:58 AM »
so I've had about a month with this lens.  I took it to the NAMM show yesterday.  While I walk around, I try to keep the lens cap on to help protect the exposed front element. 

I went to take a leak with my camera around my neck... of all the disgusting places for this lens cap to randomly come off.... dammit, the cap fell right into the URINAL...while I was peeing on it.  LOL

I rinsed it off in the hottest water available but DAMN... really.  looks like I'm super gluing this fu&%#r onto the hood.  Maybe I should get a generic/off-brand hood and cap.  Any one know if there are any generic hoods/caps available for this lens?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 11:28:58 AM »

bfawcett

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 09:18:34 PM »
Best solution is to get self adhesive velcro or felt at fabric store and attach it to the top and bottom of 15mm hood so the the cap has resistance from falling off. Never tried it but I will.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 09:18:34 PM »