Rumors > Speedlites, Printers, Accessories

5D mark iii & off-camera flash

(1/3) > >>

Scarpz13:
Hello Everyone
I have been searching the forums for answers to these questions, and have found variations but not really what I was looking for, so I am hoping some one can help me out.
I recently got a 5d Mkiii. Previously was using my 60D to fire my 580 ex II remotely off camera (I don't really like having flash on camera if I can help it). Obviously with the Mkiii I can't do this, so I was weighing a few options... esp since I would like to start doing multiple flash set-ups... so this are the options I have been weighing...

A) grab an ST-E2, or decent equivalent (help), us that, and then add either another 580 or 430 down the line
B) sell my 580 and get two Yongnuo 565s for the same price, and prob even the 622s to control
C) some sort of mixture of the above... but I am not sure how that would work.

If I am not mistaken, each Yongnuo requires its own 622 to be controlled, correct? But with the canon line I get one ST-E2 and it will fire flashes off camera without receivers? And if I have a 580, should my second flash also be 580, or will a 430 suffice for fill if the 580 is the main flash?

Mostly family portraits, etc... should have mentioned that!

thanks very much!

RLPhoto:
Its funny because I used to use my 7D for strobist stuff and now i'm in the same predicament.

Currently, I'm using el cheapo Cowboy Radio Triggers but I plan on eventually replacing my 580EXII units for 600EX-RT units. The cowboy triggers are reliable to 60ft and I shoot manual flash anyway.

Get a few cowboy triggers, They're pretty cheap.

NP714:
It might be simpler and more versatile to buy a second Canon Flash. And the Canon stuff holds value better. Alternately, I've used a shoe mounted remote trigger to fire on off camera flash. And the cheapest was it just use a cord, but you are limited to about 3 feet or so.

AdamJ:

--- Quote from: Scarpz13 on January 04, 2013, 10:19:16 AM ---Hello Everyone
I have been searching the forums for answers to these questions, and have found variations but not really what I was looking for, so I am hoping some one can help me out.
I recently got a 5d Mkiii. Previously was using my 60D to fire my 580 ex II remotely off camera (I don't really like having flash on camera if I can help it). Obviously with the Mkiii I can't do this, so I was weighing a few options... esp since I would like to start doing multiple flash set-ups... so this are the options I have been weighing...

A) grab an ST-E2, or decent equivalent (help), us that, and then add either another 580 or 430 down the line
B) sell my 580 and get two Yongnuo 565s for the same price, and prob even the 622s to control
C) some sort of mixture of the above... but I am not sure how that would work.

If I am not mistaken, each Yongnuo requires its own 622 to be controlled, correct? But with the canon line I get one ST-E2 and it will fire flashes off camera without receivers? And if I have a 580, should my second flash also be 580, or will a 430 suffice for fill if the 580 is the main flash?

Mostly family portraits, etc... should have mentioned that!

thanks very much!

--- End quote ---

If you go for the 622s, you'll need one 622 on the camera plus one for each flash. By the way, the 622s are compatible with the 580EX II (indeed all Canon Mk II flashes).

With an ST-E2, you don't need additional receivers. Note that the Yongnuo 565EX and 568EX are compatible (as slave units) with Canon's optical wireless system and they can be mixed with Canon flashes.

You might also consider using your 580EX II as the master and then buying an additional flash (Canon or 565EX/568EX) instead of the ST-E2.

If you're shooting your family portraits indoors with umbrellas, optical wireless is fine. If you're using the flashes in soft boxes or if you're shooting in bright sunlight, radio would be more dependable.

To answer your question about the adequacy of a 430EX II to use with your 580EX II, yes it would be plenty powerful enough for your needs.

Scarpz13:
Thanks for your replies!

AdamJ- by that token, if I stick with my 580EX and get a 430, i would use the 430 for "fill" correct?
And instead of the ST-E2, would it not be cheaper for me to get the 90EX flash to trigger the other flashes? or will i lose some control there?
I figure that way i can have a small carry around "pop-up" flash for my Mkiii for emergencies (i know there is very little light from these)

Cheers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version