Rumors > Speedlites, Printers, Accessories

5D mark iii & off-camera flash

<< < (2/3) > >>

AdamJ:
My advice was based on the price of a 565EX/568EX compared with an ST-E2, given that you already have a flash (580 EXII) capable of master functions. In other words, why not buy two cheap flashes instead of an ST-E2 and one additional flash. In that scenario, I would recommend two 565EX/568EXs.

If you want to stick with Canon, I'd recommend you add either an ST-E2 and a 430EX II, or a 580EX II and a 430EX II. Either way, you will want the power to be off-camera.

Kamakalele:
Aloha e Scarpz13,

I am a hobby photographer who basically shoots pictures of my daughter.  I basically do a lot of run and gun shooting...kids move fast so I try to capture the moment.  Recently I wanted to get more into creative photography stuff with my daughter being the core theme so I purchased  a CANON 600 EX-RT and an ST E3 RT.  I have been loving it so far.  Having the ability to shoot flash using radio expands the creativity aspect, which you may not need. But I have been able to shoot using creative flash, of course vary basic techniques, with ease.  Attached is a picture I took of my daughter holding the flash hidden behind her ballon to create an ambient soft light to light her face.  Pretty basic but cool at the same point, I think.  I've just started to expand my experimentation in this area but the ability to do RT has made it exciting.  Don't know if this helps but good luck on your endeavors.  Capturing the 'moment' in our families lives are the reason to do photography, for me anyway.  Malama pono and good luck.

AdamJ:

--- Quote from: Scarpz13 on January 04, 2013, 03:06:41 PM ---Thanks for your replies!

AdamJ- by that token, if I stick with my 580EX and get a 430, i would use the 430 for "fill" correct?
And instead of the ST-E2, would it not be cheaper for me to get the 90EX flash to trigger the other flashes? or will i lose some control there?
I figure that way i can have a small carry around "pop-up" flash for my Mkiii for emergencies (i know there is very little light from these)

Cheers.

--- End quote ---

I've just realised that my previous post didn't properly address your question.

My previous suggestions were made on the premise that, for family (group) portraiture, two off-camera flashes would give you much more flexibility and control than one, hence the suggestion to add:

* an ST-E2 and one more flash, or
* two more flashes. In this scenario, the two new flashes would be off-camera, controlled by the 580EX II on the camera - usually in non-flashing mode so that it doesn't contribute to the exposure. Or
* three YN-622s and one more flash
The 90EX is indeed another option that I overlooked. I believe it would give you the same functionality as the ST-E2, albeit without the ST-E2's external controls so you would need to use the camera's flash control menu.

For what it's worth, for family portraits I use two Yongnuo 565EXs, a YN-468 II and four YN-622s. The third flash enables background lighting or a hair light, etc.

Scarpz13:

--- Quote from: Kamakalele on January 06, 2013, 09:51:04 AM ---Aloha e Scarpz13,

I am a hobby photographer who basically shoots pictures of my daughter.  I basically do a lot of run and gun shooting...kids move fast so I try to capture the moment.  Recently I wanted to get more into creative photography stuff with my daughter being the core theme so I purchased  a CANON 600 EX-RT and an ST E3 RT.  I have been loving it so far.  Having the ability to shoot flash using radio expands the creativity aspect, which you may not need. But I have been able to shoot using creative flash, of course vary basic techniques, with ease.  Attached is a picture I took of my daughter holding the flash hidden behind her ballon to create an ambient soft light to light her face.  Pretty basic but cool at the same point, I think.  I've just started to expand my experimentation in this area but the ability to do RT has made it exciting.  Don't know if this helps but good luck on your endeavors.  Capturing the 'moment' in our families lives are the reason to do photography, for me anyway.  Malama pono and good luck.

--- End quote ---

Great picture, Kamakalele! I cannot wait until my daughter is old enough to try something like that- right now she would probably just run and throw my 580ex in the toilet :) But I will try a few set ups and get creative.

thanks!

Scarpz13:

[/quote]

I've just realised that my previous post didn't properly address your question.

My previous suggestions were made on the premise that, for family (group) portraiture, two off-camera flashes would give you much more flexibility and control than one, hence the suggestion to add:

* an ST-E2 and one more flash, or
* two more flashes. In this scenario, the two new flashes would be off-camera, controlled by the 580EX II on the camera - usually in non-flashing mode so that it doesn't contribute to the exposure. Or
* three YN-622s and one more flash
The 90EX is indeed another option that I overlooked. I believe it would give you the same functionality as the ST-E2, albeit without the ST-E2's external controls so you would need to use the camera's flash control menu.

For what it's worth, for family portraits I use two Yongnuo 565EXs, a YN-468 II and four YN-622s. The third flash enables background lighting or a hair light, etc.
[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying... I plan on getting some radio triggers down the line (probably yongnuos for the price), but was considering the 90EX only because it was cheap, could fire my 580EXii for now, and I thought maybe it would do as a "carry around pop up replacement". But does anyone know if you can control ETTL settings, etc, of the 580 from the camera with a 90EX as the master? I thought you could but again have no idea really

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version