October 25, 2014, 07:55:51 PM

Author Topic: Should I go with a 6D or a Mkii while they're cheap  (Read 8826 times)

fodnarbodnar

Should I go with a 6D or a Mkii while they're cheap
« on: January 17, 2013, 11:23:20 PM »
Hey guys I've seen other threads about this but no updates really in a couple week with any new valuable information. So I'm currently shooting on a T2i of my own but often renting out either 5D mkii's or mkii's even now, (I'm an independent filmmaker) and I finally have the cash on hand to upgrade my own camera so I don't have to spend the money on rentals. If i had the money i'd be getting a mkiii but money is tight snd i shoot with sigma lenses so slong with upgrading my body i need to upgrade my glass as well. Now I know the mkii is a workforce and still capable of great things especially when I can pick up the 5Dv2 moire filter to eliminate that issue. But with the arrival of the 6D I'm kind of torn. I know that the moire on this is even worse but I'm worried if I pick up a mkii now while they're cheap, i could miss out on something great in the 6D with it having the new processor and even higher iso capabilities. Any thoughts?

Again if money wasn't an issue I know the mkiii would be the obvious Answer but 3500 clams is a lot when adding the cost of lenses and what not.

canon rumors FORUM

Should I go with a 6D or a Mkii while they're cheap
« on: January 17, 2013, 11:23:20 PM »

fodnarbodnar

Re: Should I go with a 6D or a Mkii while they're cheap
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 11:39:56 PM »
Let me also add I do some still photography as well on the side, and part of the reason I'm considering the 6d at all is because what if there is a moir filter released for that possibly... That completely changes everything...

beansauce

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 11:56:16 PM »
The 5D2 has less moire than the 6D, with the 5D3 providing the best video quality. That said, the 5D2 is unbeatable considering price, build, and overall value. Personally, the 5D3 can be skipped until the 5D4 is released if you are a 5D2 user. The AF is the largest differentiating factor of the 5D3 compared to the 5D2, with the 6D serving as almost a joke in Canon's lineup... even though the IQ is great, the rest of the camera falls apart and destroys any appeal as an option, even if the current offering at b+h is only $100 more than the 5D2 kit.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 02:03:58 AM »
"even though the IQ is great, the rest of the camera falls apart and destroys any appeal as an option, even if the current offering at b+h is only $100 more than the 5D2 kit."

Let me see... AF? better than 5D2, less than 5D3.  @$1000 less, this is understandable.  Shutter speed, 1/4000, this is good enough for most people.  It has ISO 50 for those moments there's too much light or you can just plug-in an ND filter.  IQ (ISO, DR, Color), comparable to 1DX, better than 5D3, a lot better than 5D2 especially in terms of ISO performance.  This is actually a bargain if you ask me.  WIFI, GPS, not so important depending on the person using it.  So what's the gripe?  WTH, some wedding photogs even prefer 6D than 5D3 when getting pictures in low-light (flash problem).  @only $100 more than the 5D2 kit, who doesn't want it?  For video, 5D3 is still a lot better or just get a video camera.  Soon, just as 5D2, there will be a moire filter that will be provided for 6D.  Would you still prefer your 5D2 over 6D?  If you really hate 6D, then by all means get a 5D3 or just get a 5D2 and be content but please give facts when dissuading somebody else from buying a 6D.

fodnarbodnar

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 02:23:23 AM »
Yeah I hear ya I know the 6d has massive IQ and ISO improvements that's why I'm in a bind. My only real issue is i suppose, there hasn't been a moire filter released since the two for the 5d mkii and the 7d, and since they fixed the moire issue with the mkiii with the new OLPF, is there really going to be a moire filter for the 6d? I know people with 60d's are still waiting for one... That is honestly the only thing holding me back is the moire(because while I do some still work, my focus is video)

JonS

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 02:44:35 AM »
I have just been contemplating that particular choice, and I went for the 5D II.

What tipped it? - partly I think the fact that Canon rate the 5DII as 'Platinum' level camera and the 6D as a 'Silver' level camera for CPS membership.

I am not a member - dont have enough stuff yet (how do I put the sad smiley in here?), but to me it says quite a lot about what Canon think of these 2 in terms of professional use.....Just my 2 cents, as the guys across the pond say.

jon

ManixLiquid

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 07:15:18 AM »
I tried the VAF-5D2b filter on the 6D. While most of the moire is gone (you have to set the sharpness at -4 when shooting), the video quality is "soft". If you try to add sharpness in post, the moire comes back. The few tests I did, the 6D is better for indoor shooting. Outdoor is more difficult. I can't get details for wide shots (background subjects appear too soft in my opinion).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 07:15:18 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 01:02:53 AM »
I have just been contemplating that particular choice, and I went for the 5D II.

What tipped it? - partly I think the fact that Canon rate the 5DII as 'Platinum' level camera and the 6D as a 'Silver' level camera for CPS membership.

I am not a member - dont have enough stuff yet (how do I put the sad smiley in here?), but to me it says quite a lot about what Canon think of these 2 in terms of professional use.....Just my 2 cents, as the guys across the pond say.

jon

It seems 6D is on the same level as 5D3 and 5D2 at least on points...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1257832

Niterider

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 01:44:57 AM »
Hey guys I've seen other threads about this but no updates really in a couple week with any new valuable information. So I'm currently shooting on a T2i of my own but often renting out either 5D mkii's or mkii's even now, (I'm an independent filmmaker) and I finally have the cash on hand to upgrade my own camera so I don't have to spend the money on rentals. If i had the money i'd be getting a mkiii but money is tight snd i shoot with sigma lenses so slong with upgrading my body i need to upgrade my glass as well. Now I know the mkii is a workforce and still capable of great things especially when I can pick up the 5Dv2 moire filter to eliminate that issue. But with the arrival of the 6D I'm kind of torn. I know that the moire on this is even worse but I'm worried if I pick up a mkii now while they're cheap, i could miss out on something great in the 6D with it having the new processor and even higher iso capabilities. Any thoughts?

Again if money wasn't an issue I know the mkiii would be the obvious Answer but 3500 clams is a lot when adding the cost of lenses and what not.

If you are in independent film maker and thus use a DSLR primarily for video work, don't forget that Magic Lantern works perfectly on the 5d mark ii. The 6d doesnt have ML yet. My recommendation is definitely the 5d mark ii. It has been the workhorse of countless videographers and photographers for years.

Plus at the prices it has been going at, its a bargain for how good of a camera it is.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 01:45:01 AM »
One option the 6D & Mk3 have is Tight AND Wide MFA - a great feature for dialing in Zooms, vs primes.

"I'm switching to Nikon" doesn't even have that :)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 03:15:24 AM »
I know that the moire on this is even worse but I'm worried if I pick up a mkii now while they're cheap, i could miss out on something great in the 6D with it having the new processor and even higher iso capabilities. Any thoughts?
I don't know about moiré/video because I shoot stills, but there are many less visible improvements of the 6d over the 5d2 while the only regressions are the missing joystick, only 1/4000 shutter & 1/180 x-sync & only 100k shutter rating.

The good news: The 6d will also run Magic Lantern shortly (there are working test versions right now) :-)

Read this for the improvements of the 6d: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=11309.0

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 06:19:44 AM »
5D2 or wait until the 6D is sub 1700$. It's too expensive for what it is.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 04:53:33 AM »
I tried the VAF-5D2b filter on the 6D. While most of the moire is gone (you have to set the sharpness at -4 when shooting), the video quality is "soft". If you try to add sharpness in post, the moire comes back. The few tests I did, the 6D is better for indoor shooting. Outdoor is more difficult. I can't get details for wide shots (background subjects appear too soft in my opinion).

That's made for 5D2.  6D's sensor is different thus it will require a different filter.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 04:53:33 AM »

fodnarbodnar

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 12:45:26 AM »
Who knows if they're even going to make a filter for the 6D though because they haven't produced one for any bodies other than 7D and 5D2.

skullyspice

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Photojensen.com
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 01:30:58 AM »
6D. always go with newer technology.
5D3, 1vHS, 1nRS, F-1N x6, Fuji X-T1, Fuji X100
50 F1.2L, 100 F2.8L Macro, 200 F2.8L, 40 F2.8, 17-40 F4L, 24-105 F4L, 70-300 F4-5.6L
www.photojensen.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 01:30:58 AM »