Rumors > PowerShot Cameras

The love for AA size batteries

(1/4) > >>

123blackjack:
My canon camera is S3 IS the good old school bridge that took 4 AA sized batteries under the hood. At first i hated it then i started loving it after the introduction of sanyo eneloop. Eneloop is amazing and delivered what it promised.
Now its time for a new camera for me. First i obviously looked for canon camera's with AA size batteries:
Then options came : 1) Canon sx160 is

But heart called for 1080p videos and a little more compact with cmos sensor (s3is performed poorly in low light) then came 2) Canon sx240HS

Then came into low battery issues (in the forums) just 200 pics and 30 mins of videos and expensive option at the time of replacement.

-ves of lithium ion (oem) :
1) Low number of shots compared to eneloop
2) Expensive when replacing
3) Same model with no new innovation (sanyo improves the line each year)
4) Availability of the battery in the market after a few years/ Or in a different country (AA will always be easily available)

Now my question is :
1) is there a powershot sx160 is successor planned for 2013-14 with AA size batteries?
2) Is Powershot 240HS much superior to sx160is
3) What is the future of AA size batteries in cameras?
4) Am i overly concerned about the issues of lithium -ion (is it not that much of an issue?)

Please help....!

wayno:
Am I correct in understanding that you're basing a camera decision on battery size?

scrup:
I use to love AA's in my old kodak camera but the chargers and spare batteries were a pain to lug around.
I moved to a canon ixus a year later and I wouldn't even consider a camera that took AA batteries now.

Lithiums are quicker to charge
Smaller Charging unit
Batteries are lighter and easier to carry.
Spare Battery can be had for around 10-20 dollars on ebay (non OEM).

How many pics do you need to take before a recharge? I rarely take more than 200 photos in a day using a  compact. If i do find their are a lot of photo opportunities then i would be using my SLR anyway.

I'm on my 4th Canon compact and all the lithium batteries have outlasted the camera so far.

realjo:
now if you really and only want to use AA just get a Rebel and a battery grip so you can use your beloved AAs  ;D

brad-man:

--- Quote from: 123blackjack on January 22, 2013, 02:48:13 PM ---My canon camera is S3 IS the good old school bridge that took 4 AA sized batteries under the hood. At first i hated it then i started loving it after the introduction of sanyo eneloop. Eneloop is amazing and delivered what it promised.
Now its time for a new camera for me. First i obviously looked for canon camera's with AA size batteries:
Then options came : 1) Canon sx160 is

But heart called for 1080p videos and a little more compact with cmos sensor (s3is performed poorly in low light) then came 2) Canon sx240HS

Then came into low battery issues (in the forums) just 200 pics and 30 mins of videos and expensive option at the time of replacement.

-ves of lithium ion (oem) :
1) Low number of shots compared to eneloop
2) Expensive when replacing
3) Same model with no new innovation (sanyo improves the line each year)
4) Availability of the battery in the market after a few years/ Or in a different country (AA will always be easily available)

Now my question is :
1) is there a powershot sx160 is successor planned for 2013-14 with AA size batteries?
2) Is Powershot 240HS much superior to sx160is
3) What is the future of AA size batteries in cameras?
4) Am i overly concerned about the issues of lithium -ion (is it not that much of an issue?)

Please help....!

--- End quote ---

I have no fewer than 50 AA Eneloops. I wont buy any item that uses anything other than AA or AAA batteries   because they are so wonderful. I have a flashlight fetish that was problematic. Then I bought a Fenix TK-41.  The only exceptions to that rule are phones and cameras. Forget about a camera that uses "normal" batteries (phone too). They simply aren't practical. Which ever camera you buy, just go to Amazon and pick up compatible aftermarket batteries as backups/spares for way less $$ than OEM...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version