Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Video

can anyone share a basic easy multicam video set up with 5d3s?

(1/6) > >>

Capnbooboo:
I just wanted to know if anyone here shoots along with other 5d3 users and has allot of experience setting several 5d3s up for a multi camera shoot,

A friend and myself are about to shoot a bar mitzvah and want to using he multicam features in Adobe premiere, i wonder if anyone can share tricks to set up a multicast session, we plan to use a bunch of flash and SD cards (auto swap mode) unless anyone suggests other wise, i assume ALL-i compression but e have hit walls with tacky  obstacles while recording video already, for example some videos are only 1 mins long while others are 5, i have no idea why the camera stops the video recording but i do get the 4 GB limit etc from time to time saying the camera split the files up .

any advise appreciated and thanks in advance

cayenne:

--- Quote from: Capnbooboo on January 29, 2013, 03:49:57 PM ---I just wanted to know if anyone here shoots along with other 5d3 users and has allot of experience setting several 5d3s up for a multi camera shoot,

A friend and myself are about to shoot a bar mitzvah and want to using he multicam features in Adobe premiere, i wonder if anyone can share tricks to set up a multicast session, we plan to use a bunch of flash and SD cards (auto swap mode) unless anyone suggests other wise, i assume ALL-i compression but e have hit walls with tacky  obstacles while recording video already, for example some videos are only 1 mins long while others are 5, i have no idea why the camera stops the video recording but i do get the 4 GB limit etc from time to time saying the camera split the files up .

any advise appreciated and thanks in advance

--- End quote ---

I take it from your post...it will be a 2x camera shoot, right?
Are you planning on just setting up the two cameras static and letting them shoot...or will both of you be moving around, using mono pods shooting and editing later?

I've not done this, but have been watching a LOT of instructionals with some pro-wedding shooters and likely many of their methods would apply to what you're doing.

I've never been to a bar mitzvah, but I'm guessing like a wedding, there are certain 'moments' you have to catch and others not so much.

I'd say designate one of you to be the 'primary' shooter...to capture the best angle of the important shots...the other have the other angle, or B-stock as needed...but have some signals for each other...to know if you're getting low and have to change cards.

I'd label cards to know which came from which camera.

I'm assuming you have decent mikes for each camera (like a rode videomic pro)? Again, I don't know what all you need to capture at this event, but like for weddings, they usually get a couple of digital recorders and mic up the groom (two on him for failsafe) each hooked to a lavelier mic..one high and one low to capture the gooms vows and the lower one for the brides vows.

They wire them up and hit record...and get them sometime after the ceremony. If you need, try to do the same for any important speakers...if there is a DJ...see if you can wire a digital recorder into his mixing console, in case they will be using mics in his system for speaches?

But, figure what you have to shoot...get that...get some crowd reactioins shots...dancing if there is any...etc.

In any case...you really likely DO want to get at least one extra audio recording source...and in the end, use something like pluraleyes, to sync up all the audio and video between the cameras and the multiple audio sources....

I've not done it, but I'm studying it, and this is the kind of kit and setup I'm looking to get going and working with.

HTH,

cayenne

Capnbooboo:
thanks allot for all that info, do you recommend time code, because we will shoot on mono pods exactly how you described , and we want to import the video into Premiere as a multi camera set up so when i edit them they are synced up in the time line,

Would you happen to know a great set up for two 5d3s, format, time code settings, etc,
i am puzzled with the 5d time code for recording video, i tried changing it on both cameras and i cant get them to match

The_Arsonist:
It sounds like you want to keep both cameras rolling the entire time so that you don't have to sync them more than once in post. I have no idea how to accomplish that with a cam like the 5D, which is not intended for such use. You would need  to jam sync the cams when you start the day, and the timecode would need to continue running after you stop the recording. Most professional cameras have a port that plugs into a timecode generator to be continually fed a timecode. I have no idea if there is a way to do this wireless or not. I'm not even sure you can run a 5D for more than a few minutes without having to start a new clip.

I think your best option would be to look into Pluraleyes software. It automatically syncs video based on audio waveforms. It saved me in a production where I had three rolling cams and one DLSR that was taking clips at random intervals. The software loaded everything and spat out a project in Final Cut X that had the DSLR clips combined into a composite clip that matched the rolling cams. So every time a DSLR clip ended, it had black until the next clip started in the right spot.

Have your external audio running constantly to provide your sync reference, then make sure you are recording clean audio on your 5Ds, either with a shotgun or internal mic. Then Pluraleyes should be able to sync the clips from each camera in post. The key word is SHOULD; please test this before, I believe Pluraleyes has a free trial

http://www.singularsoftware.com/pluraleyes.html

preppyak:

--- Quote from: The_Arsonist on January 29, 2013, 06:42:53 PM ---It sounds like you want to keep both cameras rolling the entire time so that you don't have to sync them more than once in post. I have no idea how to accomplish that with a cam like the 5D, which is not intended for such use.
--- End quote ---
Yep, this is basically the answer. You'll either need to use a plug-in or hand-sync them later, as you can't even guarantee an exact time when the cam is gonna hit the 4GB limit, etc. It's why a DSLR works well on a set, but not so well at an event.

If this is something you are going to be doing often, especially for long, hours-long shoots, you may find yourself wanting another camera

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version