July 30, 2014, 03:37:48 AM

Author Topic: Canon 1D Mark III (Upgrade from Mark II N)  (Read 1251 times)

Matt Hoffart

Canon 1D Mark III (Upgrade from Mark II N)
« on: January 31, 2013, 03:45:30 PM »
Hey all,

I am new on this site... I stumbled upon it when I was doing some research on the Canon 1D Mark III.

I am currently shooting two Canon 1D Mark II N's. I photograph mostly sports action and nightlife. I am thinking about upgrading to the Canon 1D Mark III.

The most annoying thing I find with the II N's is the ISO. If I push it past 1600 I get major noise. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with better ISO quality with the 1D Mark III.

I understand the AF issue debacle. From my understanding as long as the body has been serviced at Canon or the serial is out of the (bad zone) there are no issues at all. So if anyone want's to lay in on this subject too that would be great.

Aside from those two questions... any thoughts on the upgrade? I look forward to hearing everyones opinions.

Please and THANK YOU in advance!

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 1D Mark III (Upgrade from Mark II N)
« on: January 31, 2013, 03:45:30 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 1D Mark III (Upgrade from Mark II N)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 05:27:14 PM »
The 1D MK III has many improved features over the 1D MK II.  I used mine at ISO 3200, there is noise, but its manageable.
ISO is better, but don't expect miracles.
A larger LCD, supported on modern computers, live view, its a great camera.
However, for a big jump in high ISO, go to a 1D MK IV if you can swing the extra cost. ISO 6400 is pretty reasonable on the MK IV, and I've used mine at 12800.
A 5D MK II or 6D  will beat them out at high ISO though.

Matt Hoffart

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 05:31:34 PM »
I am 100% sold on the 1D series. The 1D Mark IV is still out of my price range. I think for a little cost difference between what I can sell my Mark II N's for the Mark III will be a pretty big jump. Thank's for your input!

Stickman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 10:53:23 PM »
The 1D3 is a fantastic camera, and even though it has been replaced a few times in the lineup, it offers very good performance.  I own one, and the only reason I'm going to be selling it is because I need to pick up a gen 2 70-200is and I own some newer 1D cameras.  I never had any notable problems before it went in for service, and when I got it back, it was even better. 

I think you will be very, very happy.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 10:53:23 PM »