November 20, 2014, 03:56:34 PM

Author Topic: Canon Confirms 70D; Future of Semi-Pro DSLR is FF  (Read 29493 times)

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Re: Canon Confirms 70D; Future of Semi-Pro DSLR is FF
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2013, 05:06:39 PM »
Canon could always just slap a "C" to the end of the 7D name and charge 4k...
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2013, 05:06:39 PM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2013, 05:07:21 PM »
As I said in another thread...it was a mistake to abandon 1.3x.  It's also a mistake to cling to 1.6x.  The solution is 1.47x.  There would be no vignetting on crop lenses.  But instead, Canon will simply make cheaper T5, T6, T7, T8i's with the same 18mp sensor that was designed in 2007 or 2008, with ISO performance increasingly worse, with software bandaids to "help" it.  Why?  Because there are so many young kids today who think a Canon "rebel" is the end-all, be all of entry level DSLR's, and they think they can shoot "highend video" with them.  So they get their parents to buy them for birthdays or Christmas.  Foolishness!  Glib enough for ya'll?  Probably too long for a twitter post though, oh well, this is a forum, isn't it?

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2013, 06:53:45 PM »
That said, there are two things in that interview that impress me.

First, the corporate portrait. That is as perfect a headshot as I've ever seen -- and exactly the kind of perfection I'd expect to see from Canon. Imagine being the photographer charged with doing their management headshots!

Second is this statement: "My idea is that, if you increase the size, you go with APS-C - that's the architecture that allows low light performance. That was the reason I put an APS-C sensor in the PowerShot G1 X and the EOS M - for the time being, that's the standard."

He is actually saying HE is the one who did this. I can't recall a corp exec ever putting himself "on front street" (as my 12-step friends call it) before. He has stepped outside both corporate norms as well as the whole of Japanese culture with this statement, so I find it startling. If he had said "we" did it, that would have been the usual corp drivel I'd expect. And, honestly, without that, I wouldn't even have commented on this.

These are also the two things that struck me when I read the interview excerpts. The picture is excellent, but the biggest shock was the "I" word. There is a lot you could read into that (and you do not need to work for a government to be able to do so  ;) ), and it is highly unusual for a CEO to ever say such a thing. But, until we know about how the interview was conducted there is little to say.

I want to rant about the photo news media. I don't understand why industry writers have to be such sycophants. They never ask the tough questions of these executives, but instead behave like a bunch of lap dogs letting these executives sail through the interviews with softball questions. Almost anyone who comments on this forum could have asked better questions.

You have to look at it from a business perspective. Of course anyone on this forum can ask tough questions, but as anonymous users we have nothing to lose. As you soon as you represent a company and you start asking a (potential or existing) MAJOR advertiser and possibly one of your MAJOR supporters in other ways questions, then you have to be careful. Plus it is easy to ask questions, but that does not mean you will get answers.

I wonder where the rest of the interview is, as surely they asked a lot more than this. I also wonder whether a translator was used (always dangerous), and in what setting the interview took place.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

TheBadger

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2013, 07:48:41 PM »
We get it Mr. Maeda, you want us all to buy the 5D MkIII and spend $3,6K on your stuff right? Well why don't you just say it so! Why do you even bother releasing these crippled cameras? I mean, if the upcoming cameras will be at most comparable to the 6D... I really don't see any future for them!
"Qui audet adipiscitur"

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2013, 08:11:29 PM »
Also the more I think about it, the more I believe that this was not an interview at all. Certainly not an exclusive interview. I am guessing but I think it was probably excerpts from a press conference at CP+. Maybe the press conference itself or the Q&A session after it. Of course I may be wrong but that's what I feel.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2013, 12:32:18 AM »
What I find remarkable about the commentary here is the self entitlement that some people seem to have.

But what the CEO is saying is smart and sensible. He sounds like someone that knows what is going on.

He can quite clearly see a future in which it is no longer sensible to be producing DSLRs with APS-C sensors because the IQ/feature difference between them and cameras like the EOS-M range is not significant enough to support the more expensive models.

niccon

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2013, 01:17:57 AM »
well, if its main competitor/s can continue to provide a good crop sensor with market demand and profitability, likely canon will follow suit.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2013, 01:17:57 AM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2013, 01:26:00 AM »
The whole reason for APS-C in the first place, was because it trickled down from a smaller format film camera...which I presume was meant to compete against the earliest digital cameras, because it gave a roll of film more images to compete with the digital camera's higher image capacity.  Am I wrong?  The inclusion of the reflex mirror and eyepiece, does help a great deal with the ergonomics of using a camera, let alone its performance.  I think if you are going to pronounce the "end of crop format DSLR's", you're sounding like all those non-photog journalists who wanted to pronounce the end of the digital camera forever, simply because of the smartphone.  We may see the end of cameras one day (for various reasons)...and maybe even the end of the smartphone...but I wouldn't hold my breath.

garyknrd

• EOS M2
  • Birding
    • View Profile
    • Bird photography
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2013, 03:03:41 AM »
These guys are up against a brick wall I think, with the sensor technology. They are to far behind to catch up now. The good new is Nikon and Sony are not. They will fill the gap faster than a cat in a hat. The A 77 and the next one is due out soon I think. Nikon will use this to drive a stake threw Canon's heart. Wit no way to counter.
If that happens, I am over to Nikon or Sony,and selling the new 300 and 500 I bought. I will loose some but not much.
Live between Thailand and Texas, USA

greger

• Rebel T5i
  • 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2013, 03:18:33 AM »
I use a 1.4 TC with my 70-200 F4 IS USM as well as the 2X TC as I want more reach. I don't think I'm rare. I will continue using the 1.4 TC as there is no image degradation. I'm still toying with the 2X and may only use it in a pinch.
I believe the 7Dll will be somehow absorbed by the 70D which will have a Magnesium alloy body and 10 frames per sec. Touch screen that articulates and maybe 20 megapixels APSC sensor. Dual Digic 6 processors, better noise handling at higher ISO's and a few more of our wish list features that others have mentioned. This will allow Canon to expand or enhance their FF cameras so 7D ll be lost in discussions and soon forgotten.

Neither Sony or Nikon can kill off Canon. They may take a few customers. The majority will find something in the Canon
line up to take those nice pics we have become used to getting from Canon cameras. 

Canon 7D | EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark l - EF 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro - EF 70-200mm   f/4 L IS USM- EF 100-400    f4.5-5.6 IS USM - 1.4 ll and 2X ll Extenders

M.ST

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2013, 04:18:28 AM »
I don´t believe that the future of semipro DSLRs is FF.

Semipros who needs a focal lenght from 500 or 600 mm or up don´t have the money to buy the white "big guns".

With an PS-C body they can put a 70-300 mm or 100-400 lens on it for small money.

I highly recommend to buy a APS-C body and a FF body. With an APS-C Body you can forget the teleconverters and get better image quality as with the TC´s.

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2013, 04:35:50 AM »
There is always that chance that maybe an APS-H 10fps 7DII with EF-s compatability is coming. I think it would be a fantastic idea If it plays out.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:38:12 AM by RLPhoto »

TheBadger

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2013, 07:43:52 PM »
It's all diversion tactics. Mr Maeda wants its competitors to think they gave up on improving their APS-C sensors when suddenly boom! 7DII comes out with an incredible, shining new sensor. (One can dream!  :P)
"Qui audet adipiscitur"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2013, 07:43:52 PM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2013, 09:11:01 PM »
As I said in another thread...it was a mistake to abandon 1.3x. 
I think it is a mistake to long for Canon re-introducing 1.3x.

In the (really) long run, I think that Dslr-like cameras will be all 24x36mm, while consumer-oriented interchangeable lense cameras will a wide range of sensor sizes (mainly 2x crop and less). The question is only how "long" the long run is.

-h

The long run?  Thats kind of vague.  I never said I was longing for its return, just that it was a mistake to abandon it.  Stop putting words in my mouth.  That said, my argument is to go 1.5x or however big the crop lens image circle will bear (which I still feel would be 1.47x).  Frankly, I see no evidence that 1.6x can't get larger for Canon.  Doesn't mean I think it will happen, though. I feel no need to attempt to predict what actually will come to market weeks or months from now...that would be kind of futile.

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2013, 01:13:19 AM »
There is always that chance that maybe an APS-H 10fps 7DII with EF-s compatability is coming. I think it would be a fantastic idea If it plays out.

+1 ... I'd buy one in a heartbeat
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2013, 01:13:19 AM »