Rumors > Lenses

A Hands on Review of the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens

<< < (2/5) > >>

HoneyBadger:
I will admit that for the money, it is an amazing lens. I also love my 40mm 2.8 which is 40 bucks more but built a lot better. With the 50 1.8 II, I just cannot get past the bokeh. To me, it is harsh. I have tried it many many times wanting to buy it because I liked the price but I just cannot due to the bokeh and the build quality. If I was doing a lot of indoor shooting and wanted a backup lens for being in my pocket, then I would choose this as my 40mm f/2.8 just does not perform well enough in low light.

solargravity:

--- Quote from: ScottyP on February 01, 2013, 08:31:51 PM ---I agree, but I am afraid that if this thread has legs, you will be savaged at some point by a lens snob, or perhaps a lens snob mob.

--- End quote ---

That's okay. In the end it's all about the image and the creativity. That's what counts at the end of the day when you or your client are happy. On my blog I have an image shot with my iPhone 4s and I get so many people commenting on it. They have no idea about the camera. I think that's pretty amazing. Don't you think?

Erik
www.solargravity.com

robbymack:
Nothing beats it for price/value. Still my preferred 50 because canon has yet to convince me any of their other offerings are worth the price. If there is ever a 50mm non L with true ring USM I'm totally in on the preorder.

solargravity:

--- Quote from: robbymack on February 02, 2013, 12:18:26 AM ---Nothing beats it for price/value. Still my preferred 50 because canon has yet to convince me any of their other offerings are worth the price. If there is ever a 50mm non L with true ring USM I'm totally in on the preorder.

--- End quote ---

robbymack You are so right on that! I would be next in line behind you on that preorder. I can't even begin to tell you how many people compliment me on my photos that I take with my 50mm f/1.8 and when I tell them it's a lens valued around $100 they tell me time and time again they don't believe me.

Erik
www.solargravity.com

Zv:

--- Quote from: solargravity on February 02, 2013, 12:24:54 AM ---
--- Quote from: robbymack on February 02, 2013, 12:18:26 AM ---Nothing beats it for price/value. Still my preferred 50 because canon has yet to convince me any of their other offerings are worth the price. If there is ever a 50mm non L with true ring USM I'm totally in on the preorder.

--- End quote ---

robbymack You are so right on that! I would be next in line behind you on that preorder. I can't even begin to tell you how many people compliment me on my photos that I take with my 50mm f/1.8 and when I tell them it's a lens valued around $100 they tell me time and time again they don't believe me.

Erik
www.solargravity.com

--- End quote ---

And I would be third in that line! So tempted to just say b@ll@x and buy the 50 1.4 ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version