July 30, 2014, 04:31:48 PM

Author Topic: New MFA method  (Read 19735 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: New MFA method
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2013, 05:54:27 AM »
I can't see any mention of this on the Magic Lantern site yet.

It's in the nightly builds (and the great new "ml junkie" ui seen in the video, btw :-)) - currently it works for 5d2, 5d3 but afaik will be available for all cameras that support afma - here's the link to the dev discussion: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4648.msg27331#msg27331

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2013, 05:54:27 AM »

AlanF

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2013, 08:53:21 AM »
The ML website doesn't win prizes for user friendliness. I don't know whether the "nightly build" is in the version on the front page. So, tell us precisely what version to download of the 5D III, with the link to that version, please. Any tips for first time installers will be appreciated.
Thanks
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2013, 01:07:10 PM »
I don't know whether the "nightly build" is in the version on the front page. So, tell us precisely what version to download of the 5D III, with the link to that version, please.

It's simple - if you don't find it you're not supposed to use it, unlike the stable release builds the nightlies aren't even beta quality but alpha that might brick your camera. So for most people (that includes you as far as I can see) it's best to wait for the official next package with a pretty documentation and updated help files...

But if you want to try it anyway (installation is the same as the release ml, just replace autoexec.bin with a newer version): http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3072.0

And here the changelog to see what's included in the trunk build: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/all/

The 5d3 might not be included in the nightlies yet, so look in the forum thread for afma support and a recently compiled version: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=34.0

AlanF

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2013, 05:29:55 PM »
I don't know whether the "nightly build" is in the version on the front page. So, tell us precisely what version to download of the 5D III, with the link to that version, please.

It's simple - if you don't find it you're not supposed to use it, unlike the stable release builds the nightlies aren't even beta quality but alpha that might brick your camera. So for most people (that includes you as far as I can see) it's best to wait for the official next package with a pretty documentation and updated help files...

Don't be patronising. Many of my colleagues are Nobel Laureates and they don't talk condescendingly like that.
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2013, 05:46:45 PM »

Don't be patronising. Many of my colleagues are Nobel Laureates and they don't talk condescendingly like that.

Eh, I didn't take that as patronizing but rather a stern caution that "thar be dragons thar."

It's like the novice at the do-it-yourself machine shop asking where the on / off switch is on the four-ton hydraulic press. If you have to ask, it's not for you.

b&

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2013, 06:57:11 PM »

I'm impressed :-> ... but I wasn't patronizing, actually I did some work for you and found the links you requested but am missing a "thank you" so far.

The fact that the ml website doesn't advertise dev versions is really not a bug but a feature: a simple Google search for "magic lantern nightly" turns up the link I posted as the first result, and if that's not enough then the general user crowd with a "service, please!" approach are meant to use the official releases as it needs some willingness to invest work to use bleeding edge builds.

It's like the novice at the do-it-yourself machine shop asking where the on / off switch is on the four-ton hydraulic press. If you have to ask, it's not for you.

Thanks for verifying, English is not my first language and I never quite know how it comes across. Btw unfortunately ml really has teeth as the devs have bricked several (sponsored) cameras, but they usually manage to recover them. somehow.

AlanF

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2013, 09:34:45 AM »

I'm impressed :-> ... but I wasn't patronizing, actually I did some work for you and found the links you requested but am missing a "thank you" so far.

The fact that the ml website doesn't advertise dev versions is really not a bug but a feature: a simple Google search for "magic lantern nightly" turns up the link I posted as the first result, and if that's not enough then the general user crowd with a "service, please!" approach are meant to use the official releases as it needs some willingness to invest work to use bleeding edge builds.

Thanks for verifying, English is not my first language and I never quite know how it comes across. Btw unfortunately ml really has teeth as the devs have bricked several (sponsored) cameras, but they usually manage to recover them. somehow.

As English is not your native language, let me explain the nuances that make the second sentence patronising. The word "pretty" is one problem. "Pretty" in that context is a pejorative word meaning that it is tarted up to appeal to the simple minded. The word "clear" would be acceptable, implying that the current description is obscure. A second is "(that includes you as far as I can see)" because it personalises the comment and also shows you making an assumption about a particular individual, which may well be unwarranted.

The first sentence may sound witty to you, but to others it smacks of arrogance. So, both sentences combined sound unpleasant to a native speaker.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2013, 09:34:45 AM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2013, 10:36:14 AM »
The first sentence may sound witty to you, but to others it smacks of arrogance. So, both sentences combined sound unpleasant to a native speaker.

Ok, thanks for explaining - I didn't want to annoy you, why would I? I'm just trying to spread news about Magic Lantern to keep the project alive and kicking. That often means convincing people that ml is not a hack or dangerous, but in this case the the reverse: people asking for a direct download link plus a installation instruction obviously aren't familiar with ml and aren't meant to use bleeding edge releases.

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2013, 11:04:22 AM »

As English is not your native language, let me explain the nuances that make the second sentence patronising. The word "pretty" is one problem. "Pretty" in that context is a pejorative word meaning that it is tarted up to appeal to the simple minded. The word "clear" would be acceptable, implying that the current description is obscure. A second is "(that includes you as far as I can see)" because it personalises the comment and also shows you making an assumption about a particular individual, which may well be unwarranted.

Its pretty clear that you are being oversensitive. Humor off. s/he did not mean to offend you. Just warn in a straightforward way. Also, what do you interpret your reference to Nobel Laureate colleagues as?. I have some and so would many others here. Like normal people some of the Nobel Laureates are very humble but some are incredibly arrogant. And similar are colleagues without Nobel Prize.

hpmuc

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2013, 11:38:04 AM »
Its pretty clear that you are being oversensitive. Humor off. s/he did not mean to offend you. Just warn in a straightforward way. Also, what do you interpret your reference to Nobel Laureate colleagues as?. I have some and so would many others here. Like normal people some of the Nobel Laureates are very humble but some are incredibly arrogant. And similar are colleagues without Nobel Prize.
+1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2013, 11:38:04 AM »