October 26, 2014, 04:56:36 AM

Author Topic: 5D III Dynamic Range  (Read 31766 times)

well_dunno

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: 5D III Dynamic Range
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 06:18:42 PM »
Speaking of DR compression; Here's a thought....

Pixel or photosite level "Electronic shutter".

areas of the sensor with enough light shut off sooner than the areas that need the shutter to be open longer... till you have perfect exposure with reduce DR capturing everything and no banding or gradient issues.

I should patent this and sell it to Sony quick...
LOL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 06:18:42 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 06:46:26 PM »
As we all know the dynamic range of 5D MK III is not better than its counterpart Nikon D800.

Now, where have I heard that before??   ::)

I was wondering if this deficiency could be addressed by using single shot HDR for batch processing. Has anyone tried HDR batch process to improve dynamic range, what would be good software for this purpose or any other comments. Thanks in advance.

IMO, your question has been accurately and helpfully answered by David Hull and ishdakuteb.  DR not present in the original shot cannot be added, but post processing techniques as described in the Adorama tutorial can maximize the DR from a single shot, up to the limit of the image capture.

Many scenes have less than 11 stops of actual DR in the scene, in which case there's no 'deficiency'.  Other scenes have more than 14 stops of DR, in which case all current dSLRs are 'deficient' and multiple bracketed exposures and HDR are the only way to capture the full scene DR, assuming you need to do so.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

ishdakuteb

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 06:51:21 PM »
RLPhoto, can you share me your pop corn... i am running out of it  ;D

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 07:31:16 PM »

*passes popcorn

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 08:23:38 PM »

*passes popcorn

I hope its a big bag :D

joshmurrah

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 08:37:21 PM »
that means he is waiting for "flame war" with his pop corn... hic.. hic... i am getting tired of that too.  however, back to your question.  below is the link to show you the good way:

HDR Ep 115: Take & Make Great Photography with Gavin Hoey: Adorama Photography TV

I just wanted to pop in and say THANKS for posting that!  I open all image formats with ACR already for the controls, and saving as a 32-bit TIFF and reusing ACR for the controls is neat!  I usually do the HDR Pro and save from that, but I'll try it this way from now on.

gripped 5DIII, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 8-15 f/4L, 50 f/1.2L, 85 f/1.2L II, 2x III, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

ishdakuteb

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 09:22:45 PM »
that means he is waiting for "flame war" with his pop corn... hic.. hic... i am getting tired of that too.  however, back to your question.  below is the link to show you the good way:

HDR Ep 115: Take & Make Great Photography with Gavin Hoey: Adorama Photography TV

I just wanted to pop in and say THANKS for posting that!  I open all image formats with ACR already for the controls, and saving as a 32-bit TIFF and reusing ACR for the controls is neat!  I usually do the HDR Pro and save from that, but I'll try it this way from now on.

glad that i can help.  for anyone being out there who has been wondered about bryan peterson's hair.  got a message from mark wallace conforming that bryan is just fine, nothing to do with his health.  he just lost a bet to his daughter so he had to shave...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 09:22:45 PM »

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 09:42:13 PM »

Many scenes have less than 11 stops of actual DR in the scene, in which case there's no 'deficiency'.  Other scenes have more than 14 stops of DR, in which case all current dSLRs are 'deficient' and multiple bracketed exposures and HDR are the only way to capture the full scene DR, assuming you need to do so.
[/quote]
That is a very interesting perspective, never thought of that. Thanks.

I try to work with what I have, I am still far away from using my 5D3 to its limits.

Dukinald

• Rebel T5i
  • aloha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 10:28:46 PM »

+1
Bodies: Canon 6D, 70D, T2i gripped, EOS 5, EOS 100, EOS M
Lenses:EF 24-105 F4L, EF 70-200 F2.8L mkII, EF 100 F2.8L,  EF 50 F1.8, EF-S 18-55mm, EF 28-80 USM, EF-M 22, Rokinon 8mm HD Fisheye, M mount adapter
Other : 540EZ, 320EX, 430EX II, Yongnuo triggers & strobist stuff

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 10:48:33 PM »

+1
@ishdakuteb, thanks. Great link.

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 01:16:58 AM »
The popcorn is popping as I type.  ::)

The answer is simple, d800 has 14 stops DR compared to 11.5
This means that you from saturation and down to depest shadows have 2,5 stop better DR at base iso
See, there is the beginning of a pole - just like I predicted :)

So predictable - like math!

ROFL....  I love this Forum!

All around dynamic range
The Canon chased the Nikon;
The Canon thought 'twas all in fun,
Pop! goes the Nikon. ;D
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 01:53:33 AM »
I have always struggled with DR... ever since my 4x5 zone system days. What I realized was that sometimes I just needed to add light to my shadows. ;)

kbmelb

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 02:23:44 AM »
A little while ago a friend asked me what she needed to know about DSLRs in order to take "good" pictures.

I created an extensive list. I never mentioned dynamic range. Shame on me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 02:23:44 AM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 03:47:28 AM »
So far I have only done single shot HDR, in CS5.  I found it helps a bit to pre adjust the clarity slider slightly to the negative side while in ACR, before opening the file in PS to begin the single shot HDR process.  This might be wrong, but it sure seems to help.  Anyone else notice this?

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 03:52:12 AM »
A little while ago a friend asked me what she needed to know about DSLRs in order to take "good" pictures.

I created an extensive list. I never mentioned dynamic range. Shame on me.
Not really. A good friend you are...
Like a number of people have said on this forum (and I am sure many have said so on other forums elsewhere too)  that it is the finger that half clicks and then completes the click is all that matters...

They have not? Huh!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 03:52:12 AM »