Gear Talk > Lenses

Considering the Zeiss 21

(1/5) > >>

wayno:
I'd welcome the opinion of those who have these lenses. I currently have the 17-40L which I find has good IQ and the 24-70II which has discernably superior IQ. Very sharp, contrasty - the whole shebang. I have had the Zeiss 21 Distagon on my radar for awhile now and am wondering about (generally) replacing the 17-40L with the Zeiss for landscape work. I find the zoom very handy for landscape and will still use it but am wondering just how special the Zeiss really is. Is it similar in IQ to the 24-70II? Or is it 'better'? The new 24-70 has spoiled me somewhat, and am keen to maintain that degree of awesomeness into something a little wider.

Thoughts welcome.

(Before you say it, I will likely pick up a 24 TS at some point in the next 12 months as well). Perhaps this is generally cramming the focal range?

FunPhotons:
Yeah me too! Been planning on that one for some time.

dilbert:
Canon urgently needs to replace the 16-35 and 17-40. Or at least the 17-40. That's even if they bring out a 14-24 or similar. Otherwise, yes, get the 21 because nothing from Canon compares.

shutterwideshut:
I have both the TS-E24mm f/3.5L Mark II and the 24-70mm f/2.8L II and I would say both lenses really have superior IQ. I also have the 17-40mm which I also use to shoot  landscapes but I can not speak for the Zeiss 21mm. Why not save your money for the TS-E24mm f/3.5L Mark II which is the ultimate landscape lens? Here's a comparison of the TS-E24mm f/3.5L Mark II vs Zeiss 21mm by Darwin Wiggett: http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2011/01/16/a-quick-lens-test-canon-ts-e-24mm-versus-zeiss-21mm/.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

cpsico:

--- Quote from: dilbert on February 10, 2013, 08:07:06 AM ---Canon urgently needs to replace the 16-35 and 17-40. Or at least the 17-40. That's even if they bring out a 14-24 or similar. Otherwise, yes, get the 21 because nothing from Canon compares.

--- End quote ---
I love my 16-35 at F5.6-11 yes it's a little soft at 2.8 but it really mates nicely with my 5d mark II

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version