Gear Talk > Lighting

Which flash for a 5d mkIII

(1/4) > >>

davet4:
Just got my 5d mkIII, and it's great...no regrets splashing out on it. But now I want to get a flash unit but cannot decide which one to go for. Now I will only use it for fill in during the day and at night, I do not do any studio work. So do I really need the all singing and dancing 600ex-rt or will the 430exIi be enough?

Any advice wouldbe gratefully received!

Marsu42:

--- Quote from: davet4 on February 22, 2013, 08:08:39 PM ---So do I really need the all singing and dancing 600ex-rt or will the 430exIi be enough?

--- End quote ---

Only the 600rt can use all focus points for af assist, and you have to determine if you shoot at very low light (=5d3 af fails) or just low light (=af faster/more precise with af assist on low contrast objects) with the outer points so this is of relevance.

pwp:
Do a Google search with this search term: canon 600EX-RT vs 430EX-II and you'll get all sorts of useful information. If daylight fill is going to be part of your flash usage, then the more powerful 600EX-RT will certainly be a more satisfying buy. The extra power will be appreciated for your night shots too if you're using bounce. A bounce function advantage of the 600 is that the 600 EX-RT can swivel 360° vs. the limited range of 270° for the 430 EX. II. It's also worth noting that the zoom function on the 600 goes right out to 200mm.

If the budget can handle it, I'd recommend the 600EX-RT, followed by a mint condition pre-owned 580 EXII followed by the nevertheless very competent 430EX-II.

-PW

GDub:

--- Quote from: davet4 on February 22, 2013, 08:08:39 PM ---...or will the 430exIi be enough?

--- End quote ---

It will be enough until it's not enough.

Mt Spokane Photography:
Since you want to use it as fill in daytime, the power of a 580 EX II might come in handy. 

The refurbs will be on sale for 20% off starting Sunday 2-24, and Canon's price on the 430 EX II makes it a hard unit to pass up for a starter.  It can be controlled by the high end flashes later if you want to get into multiple flashes.
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_204273_-1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version