August 28, 2014, 07:24:22 AM

Author Topic: 1D X Serial Number with New Firmware  (Read 1567 times)

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
1D X Serial Number with New Firmware
« on: February 24, 2013, 07:07:49 AM »
Does anyone know if it is possible to tell which firmware a 1D X has on it simply from the serial number?

Am about to get one, but would prefer one that has all the latest firmware on it so I do not have to do that, until they release the new firmware in May. The shop I am buying it from says it has just come from Canon so one would expect it to have the latest but still, I thought it may be worth asking here.

Is it possible to tell from the serial number?

Thank you.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X Serial Number with New Firmware
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 07:50:41 AM »
Not AFAIK.  But, a firmware update is simple to apply.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RMC33

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 10:33:47 AM »
Takes all of 5-10 minutes to do your self. Most of the later firmware packages are retro-active as well. I honestly don't think Canon ships with latest firmware let alone any other company.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 03:33:59 PM »
Canon cameras usually ship with any new firmware before it is released on their website, but there is no way to tell what version is on a camera without checking it, because there will always be some cameras in inventory that will not have it, sometimes for months depending on the dealer turnover, and on how carefully they are at selling older stock first.  Ourlocal dealer has tags with the date of receipt from the manufacturer on each box which helps them.  The cameras I've bought usually have a tag with 4-8 weeks before I bought it, but lenses can be a year if its a slow selling "L" lens. 

It really does not matter in any event, since its user updatable, and a new version comes out from time to time.

brett b

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 04:55:49 PM »
As others have said, loading a firmware update is a simple task.
I procrastinated on updating my firmware because I hadn't encountered any of the problems addressed by the update...until 9 days ago when I began getting Error 70 codes during an archetectural shoot. Big pain powering down, pulling battery out then in & unmounting then mounting the lens. Then having it happen over & over. Intrestingly, it only happened w the 24-70II and I had been using that lens for a good portion of the day before it began happening.
I did the firmware update when I got home. I had a similar job two days later and never had a problem under the same conditions.
I mention all this because you never know when you might encounter a never before seen problem. It's wise to keep your firmware up to date whether you've seen a problem or not.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 05:04:13 PM »
Thanks everyone. I realise it is easy to update the firmware but was just wondering whether it was possible to skip that part (until they release the next update in May) by checking the serial number. No problem though, the guy at the shop assures me it is brand new and just arrived from Canon so will be interesting to see what it has on it.

Thanks.  :)
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.