October 31, 2014, 08:26:59 PM

Author Topic: The Next EOS M? [CR1]  (Read 17701 times)

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: The Next EOS M? [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 12:00:22 PM »
Yawn. If Canon would look to the RX1 for some inspiration, then I might consider it. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 12:00:22 PM »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 12:23:38 PM »
At that price point, I'd expect to have a built-in viewfinder.

Bob Howland

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »
Why only 5FPS, especially if it has the same sensor as the 7D2, which supposedly will do 10FPS, even with a mirror?

Removable electronic viewfinder? Where will it be mounted, on the flash shoe, so it won't be possible to use an external flash and the external viewfinder simultaneously?

24MP? I'd rather have 18MPS if that buys me better high ISO image quality and much better dynamic range.

Where is Canon's answer to the Metabones Speed Booster? Canon can make one with 1-1/3 stops improvement, given its 1.6X crop factor.

Dekker

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 12:32:40 PM »
EOSM is late to the market, which means that to make any headway it needs to be a very compelling offering in order to get traction. Given Canon's current weakness in sensors and its decision to put a so-so AF system in the EOSM, I for one am not to excited to 'lock' myself into a system with just a few lenses. There is just no sense in doing that.

Despite having all Canon cameras, I ended up replacing my S90 by a Sony RX100. That camera is so good (size, lens, sensor, AF), that I'm now doubting whether the premise underlying the EOSM is viable at all. Rather than carrying interchangeable lenses, I could see myself carrying two RX100-type cameras with different lenses.

mdrewpix

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 12:37:42 PM »
Yawn. If Canon would look to the RX1 for some inspiration, then I might consider it.

The RX1 is priced like a 5D III and has a fixed lens. The EOS M is - and will be - an interchangeable lens camera for the masses. The RX1 is nothing more than a marketing exercise. Takes good pictures, true, but for the price of a 6D or a D600 and a Sigma 35 1.4 you'll get equally good pictures for less money. And you'll be able to put other lenses on it.
As well, full-frame sensor is absolutely unnecessary. Besides the fact that you can take gorgeous pictures with a crop-frame or 4/3 sensor, making the EOS M a full-frame camera will add to the bulk of the lenses as well as the camera, negating most of the advantages that mirrorless cameras have in the first place.
The RX 1 has simply taken a fixed lens and welded it onto a box with a sensor. And, like the EOS M, it has no viewfinder. The entire rig will have to be redesigned to allow it to be an interchangeable lens camera. It's already ridiculously expensive. Making it interchangeable will sky-rocket the cost. The RX 1 is a foolish model to emulate.

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 12:40:18 PM »
The main thing I'd want if I were going to by an M is a standard zoom that folds entirely inside the body when not in use.  Since I don't see that happening, I can't see this system ever becoming interesting.
Not likely to happen, the laws of physics are against it.

Interesting that they were able to do it with dozens of compact film cameras, that were necessarily full-frame and also carried a film transport mechanism!

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 12:41:28 PM »
24mp APS-C Sensor = no sale here

Canon might want to look around before they come to market.

Perhaps if they offered full frame instead of APS-C and fewer mp in exchange for a much higher ISO, they might have something.

They're not going to compete with Sony et al with this product, but they have the opportunity to compete with Leica etc.  Especially at the proposed price point.  And they can do it.

Repackage the 6D sensor perhaps?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 12:41:28 PM »

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 12:44:21 PM »
FF sensor in compact body(like RX1) + pancake fast prime lenses(14,16,35,50,85,135, and or 200mm) = BIG SALE

+1

A full frame mirrorless from Canon (with inrerchangable lens system), is my dream camera.

But Canon will never do it. They are too afraid of stepping on their own toes.

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 12:48:40 PM »

Perhaps if they offered full frame instead of APS-C and fewer mp in exchange for a much higher ISO, they might have something.

They're not going to compete with Sony et al with this product, but they have the opportunity to compete with Leica etc.  Especially at the proposed price point.  And they can do it.

When are people going to give up this belief in the myth that high pixel counts mean high noise?

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 12:51:46 PM »
My EOS-M wishlist:

• More lenses.
  • Much faster AF.
  • Decent viewfinder.
  • Metabones-style speed booster.  Turn my 50 F/1.4 into some F/0.9-ish 35mm-ish monster.

I won't echo everyone's calls for a FF sensor.  EOS-M means the M mount, which means crop.  Strongly recommend you don't hold your breath for an FF change for years from Canon, b/c that's how long it will take for them to build up a collection of EF-M lenses.

And even if they did make the FF mirrorless that many want, presumably taking native EF glass, it will be huuuuge -- as in comically large in size.  One understands (though does not necessarily agree) why Sony went with a fixed lens on the RX1 -- it makes it smaller.

- A
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:53:23 PM by ahsanford »

mdrewpix

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 01:07:46 PM »

Might be wise to wait until the 24 mp sensor exists before slagging it.

LDS

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 01:09:11 PM »
What is the market for this kind of cameras? Frankly here in Europe I don't see a real demand for relatively "entry level" mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses. The people Canon aims this kind of camera to are usually happy with some fixed lens one with a decent zoom lens, which spares them the need to rummage inside a bag to get another lens and change it - and get also a bag to store lenses within. The Powershot G series covers that market already pretty well. IMHO the buyer of such cameras are those looking for something smaller/lighter than a DSLR to carry around as often as possible, with almost the same power. But they need a more powerful camera than the actual M is. If Canon delivers something with a good viewfinder - but please, not a "removable" one, such kind of cameras needs to be "simple" and fast to use - and a decent lens lineup I'll get one. I don't care if it is full frame or APS-C or whatever - I'll judge the versatility and image quality.

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 01:10:30 PM »
An entry level EOS M system camera could be coming in early 2014 and sit in the sub $500 category.

The present EOS M is sub-entry level. What could Canon remove to make the camera more basic ???

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 01:10:30 PM »

mdrewpix

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 01:21:34 PM »
What is the market for this kind of cameras? Frankly here in Europe I don't see a real demand for relatively "entry level" mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses. The people Canon aims this kind of camera to are usually happy with some fixed lens one with a decent zoom lens, which spares them the need to rummage inside a bag to get another lens and change it - and get also a bag to store lenses within. The Powershot G series covers that market already pretty well. IMHO the buyer of such cameras are those looking for something smaller/lighter than a DSLR to carry around as often as possible, with almost the same power. But they need a more powerful camera than the actual M is. If Canon delivers something with a good viewfinder - but please, not a "removable" one, such kind of cameras needs to be "simple" and fast to use - and a decent lens lineup I'll get one. I don't care if it is full frame or APS-C or whatever - I'll judge the versatility and image quality.

Unlike most people here, I've actually shot with an EOS M, both stills and video. While the autofocus for stills is barely adequate - I never use AF for video anyway - image quality is excellent. The M just needs a few usability tweaks, better AF and an expanded suite of lenses and, for those who actually take pictures rather than look at test charts and spec sheets, it will be a winner. It will never replace my DSLRs but as a light-weight, walk-around rig it has great potential. I'll be ordering the next model as soon as it's announced.

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 01:35:18 PM »
Both Canon and Nikon are living in the past -- building cameras for markets that don't exist anymore.

There is NO demand for compact P&S and none for step-up cameras. They have been replaced by smart-phones.

There IS a demand for small/light high-end cameras with a good selection of lenses. So what does Canon deliver ??? An under-featured and over-priced EOS M. Soon to be joined by another under-featured camera priced higher than the Sony NEX-6. WTF is going on ???

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 01:35:18 PM »