November 28, 2014, 10:51:25 AM

Author Topic: Hi =) -- Need New Camera -- Need Advice  (Read 3061 times)

galangel

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Hi =) -- Need New Camera -- Need Advice
« on: February 28, 2013, 01:28:32 PM »
Hi how is everyone ?

last week I came back from Rome without my camera... because it was Stolen from me =(
It was a 7D with 15 85 lens
Was taken right out of my hands at the "saint maria ella vitoria chaple" .
I'm kind of crippled so running and looking for the thief was no option for me.

so now... i'm scratching money for new camera, but this time I want one with Full Frame .
I love getting good shots without using flash so i was thinking about 5dmk3
I was also saving money for new lens, the 70-200 Lii 2.8 ,   but ,
I came across this video Canon 5D III x 70-200 2.8 IS II issue
what do you think ?

canon rumors FORUM

Hi =) -- Need New Camera -- Need Advice
« on: February 28, 2013, 01:28:32 PM »

Dick

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Hi =) -- Need New Camera -- Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 02:32:20 PM »
Interesting video. I have noticed similar things with other lenses on 5D3: when checking the focus points from the screen (red boxes in playback mode), the boxes appear a bit left from the point that I actually wanted to focus on. Haven't noticed any major issues on images though.

Was taken right out of my hands at the "saint maria ella vitoria chaple" .

Someone just walked over and took it?
EOS 5D Mark III + 8-15L + some boring L lenses + a 35mm Sigma...

robbymack

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 02:56:56 PM »
Well that royally blows. Do you have insurance?  A home owners policy may provide some coverage. Doesn't hurt to ask.

A 5diii plus 70-200ii would help you through this difficult time ;)

Although a 6d is allegedly better in low light. Actually unless you will use the 5diii af for sports or wildlife the 6d is by and large a better camera. Lighter, has wifi and GPS, an cheaper to boot. That money saved could go towards a nice wide angle lens for your travels.

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 03:10:39 PM »
Sorry for or loss.

5d III or a 6d paired with 70-200 2.8IS II is a great combo. As mentioned before, if you do not do sports shooting get the 6d - enjoy.

Cheers
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Dick

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 03:43:34 PM »
Sorry for or loss.

5d III or a 6d paired with 70-200 2.8IS II is a great combo. As mentioned before, if you do not do sports shooting get the 6d - enjoy.

Cheers

Sports shooting is not the only difference. If one shoots fast primes wide open, recomposing is not going to work too well. If you take pictures of your kids, you don't even have the time to recompose.
EOS 5D Mark III + 8-15L + some boring L lenses + a 35mm Sigma...

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 04:36:58 PM »
Interesting video. I haven't noticed this with a 5D3 with any lens I use. What I'd like to see are the actual recorded images. They may not show a shift.

And for anyone playing out the fantasy of chasing down the perp in this instance, I caution never to do that, especially in a place where you don't know where you are. This is sometimes a ploy to lure you into greater danger and even more potential loss of property/life. Take all available precautions to prevent it from happening to start with, but if the precautions fail, let it go. Be grateful that's all you've lost.

As for the OP question, the 5D3 and 6D are both fine. Base a choice on photographic needs.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

galangel

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »
Someone just walked over and took it?

yes right out of my hand ,I had not used any straps which could have helped in that situation.

Well that royally blows. Do you have insurance?  A home owners policy may provide some coverage. Doesn't hurt to ask.

no insurance . and the police in was not helpful.
you know how it is that you read posts in facebook about guys losing their cameras and all they care is about the pictures taken and you think to yourself :"yeah right"...... but in this case the camera was stolen at the very last day! (just 10 hours from being at the airport ) full of memories and moments left to fade slowly from of ageing braincells.

To the point
About the 6d,
I'm reading really bad reviews about the camera and its build qulity and I fear that I'l be missing the "Canon Feel" Which I loved so much and the reason I never Used Straps. you might think that thats stupid reason to judge camera and not by her specs But Had really Good bonding with my 7D =)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 04:47:51 PM »
In response to the video. I just played around with my 5d3 70-200 MkII. Its his camera. The loaner 1Dx and 5d3 I have do not jump to the right. Tried with my 200 f/2, 400 f/2.8, 24-70 and did not see it on any lens/body combo. My guess would be his mirror or something in the camera is loose. His shutter did sound quite weird on the 5d3 as well.

BruinBear

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 04:52:47 PM »
To the point
About the 6d,
I'm reading really bad reviews about the camera and its build qulity and I fear that I'l be missing the "Canon Feel" Which I loved so much and the reason I never Used Straps. you might think that thats stupid reason to judge camera and not by her specs But Had really Good bonding with my 7D =)

So i had the same fear but after buying the 6D i can say that it feels just as sturdy as a 5D/7D.  The bulk of the body is magnesium and feels rigid while being significantly lighter.  My only gripe with the build quality is the top plate plastic which feels pretty cheap, though its necessary for the wifi and GPS.

I had talked to canon tech support about the weather sealing and they had this to say if it helps:
"The weather sealing of the EOS 6D is similar to that of the EOS 7D and the EOS 5D Mark III.  It is both dust and water resistant.  The overall body design EOS 6D is similar to those two cameras.  However, note that unlike the EOS 7D and EOS 5D Mark III, the EOS 6D front and rear covers are made of a Magnesium Alloy and the top, side, and bottom covers are made of a Polycarbonate resin."

Also, I loaned a 5D3 and used it with my 70-200 f/2.8 and it did not have that issue, neither did my friend's.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 04:54:41 PM by BruinBear »
6D, 60D, 17-40L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 24-105L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 40mm Pancake, Helios 44-M4 (55mm f/2), 1.4X Extender III, 430EX II, Yongnuo YN-622 Flash Triggers.
EOS-M, 22mm, EF Adapter.
And Canonet QL-17 GIII Film!

thomasl4

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 05:00:44 PM »
Funny to come across this topic. I posted that video actually.

I have yet to take it into Canon, but the issue definitely isnt the mirror. The sound of it might be weird because the mic on my iphone actually.

Just to answer some questions, when I typically need IS the most is around 1/30th of a second at 200mm. I've noticed anything slower than 125th shows blur from the IS shifting. So at 1/30th the shots are worse than if i were to use it without IS.

Now the video isn't meant to scare off potential 5D III buyers, because in fact I love the camera. It's been one of the most exciting bodies to use for Wedding Photography. I just couldn't find any info on my issue which I believe is related to my copy of the lens so I had to make my own video which I showed to Canon. So until I can get it looked at by Canon I have no further answers.

Full Frame FTW.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 05:30:11 PM »
Ignore the poor 6D reveiws.  Read the good reviews.  I have both the 5D3 and the 6D.  You owe it to yourself to at least rent the 6D and try it.  I love mine.  It will do you fine, you probably don't need the 5D3 unless you plan to do fast sports stuff.  Good luck with your quest.

Sorry for your loss.  Take steps to prevent the next loss by keeping the next camera less noticeable and tethered with a Black Rapid type strap.  Use a non-photo backpack with some low profile lens cases, etc inside so as not to advertise lots of photo equipment.  Change memory cards every day.  Travel with a body guard that can beat the cr*p out of them next time and hand your camera back to you.   Or - have Q from MI-6 install the 007 famous "burglar protected" system in the next camera!   ;)

Lotus
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 06:19:53 PM »
hmmmm....that video of the 5D Mark III with the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II is disturbing...I have not noticed this phenomenon with my camera and lens...but I am going to check it out over the weekend and post back here with my experience...
Could it be the camera, the lens or the combo that is causing the problem....ie...do some camera bodies have a flaw that causes this to happen with that lens...or....Do some of the lenses have a flaw that cause it to happen with the 5DIII ...or do all 5DIII's and 70-200mm II's do this?????? WOW!
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 06:34:04 PM »
hmmmm....that video of the 5D Mark III with the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II is disturbing...I have not noticed this phenomenon with my camera and lens...but I am going to check it out over the weekend and post back here with my experience...
Could it be the camera, the lens or the combo that is causing the problem....ie...do some camera bodies have a flaw that causes this to happen with that lens...or....Do some of the lenses have a flaw that cause it to happen with the 5DIII ...or do all 5DIII's and 70-200mm II's do this?????? WOW!

Mine does not do it. Tried 7 different lenses. I think this is a limited batch/run of Mk3's that do this. If it were the lens we would exhibit it on both bodies.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 06:34:04 PM »

polarhannes

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 06:48:06 PM »
I just tested it using the same settings. Tripod, 1/160s, f2.8, iso 1600, 200mm, I even used the same AF point :-)
My 5d3 70-200 II combo did not show the behaviour. I tested using silent mode and normal mode, 6 fps and 3fps.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

rs

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 07:15:28 PM »
Is it worth trying a firmware update on the body to see if it sorts it? RMC33 and BruinBear don't have this problem with 5D3/70-200 II combos, so that suggests there is a solution - which hopefully isn't sending it in to Canon.
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 07:15:28 PM »