Gear Talk > Lighting

580ex ii not firing

(1/2) > >>

Tusker:
I have a 580ex ii and it will fire only if level (most times but not all) or facing up, but will not fire if it is facing down on an angle lower then level. Not sure why but it just will not fire. With that said it will fire as a slave level, up, down, on its side. Any one else has this issue or thoughts on why my flash is not flashing. I changed the batteries but still no luck. Also I am using it on a 60D.

Thanks

RLPhoto:
Check the pins on the foot to make sure they're clean and springy. If not, They won't contact the hotshoe well.

Make sure your camera hot-shoe is clean and corrosion free as well.

Studio1930:

--- Quote from: Tusker on March 06, 2013, 04:40:18 PM ---I have a 580ex ii and it will fire only if level (most times but not all) or facing up, but will not fire if it is facing down on an angle lower then level. Not sure why but it just will not fire. With that said it will fire as a slave level, up, down, on its side. Any one else has this issue or thoughts on why my flash is not flashing. I changed the batteries but still no luck. Also I am using it on a 60D.

Thanks

--- End quote ---

I have had the same issue with my 580ex II flashes in the past as well but I don't remember what the issue ended up being.  I think it was some mode change that wouldn't change when the head was tilted but honestly I am not sure.  ???

RS2021:
Most likely cause as RLPhoto said is the contacts at the hot shoe....

When it is a slave, the info and trigger are happening through the optical signal ...so it bypasses the shoe...so will work just fine there.

See if you can clean or wiggle or tighten the shoe plate. Could be either on the flash or camera end...but 95% of the time it is the flash plate. This will also explain why sometimes it works and at others it doesn't.  Cheers.

RS2021:
Obviously, if the simple cleaning and first aid doesnt help, may be it needs a trip to the repair shop. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version