November 27, 2014, 12:40:29 AM

Author Topic: RECHARGEABLE - POWER-EX - ENLOOP - IMEDION  (Read 5677 times)

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
Re: RECHARGEABLE - POWER-EX - ENLOOP - IMEDION
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 04:41:46 PM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 04:41:46 PM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 05:30:58 PM »
Ditto on all the positive eneloops comments.  I got mine online, Amazon, locally at Costco, etc.  Unlike most things, they just work.   8)
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

brad-man

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 06:09:51 PM »
Agree with the other posters. I started out using Powerex. The self discharge quickly and also fail. I began with 8 AA cells four years ago. I have 2 left. Moderate use. None of the Eneloops purchased at the same time have failed. Haven't tried the XX version yet as I have around a gazillion of the originals...

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 07:41:31 PM »
Eneloop or Duracell (Duraloop) made in Japan. the Duracells are in fact Eneloops.

There are three generations of Eneloops, although the ones I picked up from B+H a year ago were Gen 2's (without the vent holes at the top) - see link here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?355757-White-top-duracell&p=4147156&viewfull=1#post4147156

My old Energizer and Ultra (TigerDirect) batteries are dropping left and right but I have yet to have an Eneloop fail and I have upwards of a hundred of them.

Camerajah

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »
my guess white top(Duraloop) Duracell made in Japan black top made in China go figure
Canon bodies and not enough L lenses

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 08:12:02 PM »
my guess white top(Duraloop) Duracell made in Japan black top made in China go figure
Exactly correct. The black top Duracells are not Eneloops.

STEMI_RN

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 08:31:56 PM »
Eneloop all the way.  Costco sells them a lot and at that price, they're paid for after 2 uses.
60d, Digital Rebel XT, Mamiya 645, etch-a-sketch.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 08:31:56 PM »

Cptn Rigo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • rodrigomarta.com
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 08:43:40 PM »
eneloop or eneloop xx (More power/less recharges)  ;)
5D MkIII + 35L, 85L, 135L, 70-300L, 24-70L II

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 09:40:15 PM »
Interesting thread.

I was always interested if the new PowerGenxi NiZn batteries would kill my 550EXs.  Evidently they recycle so fast they'll take a Nikon SB900 to thermal shutdown after 15 shots or so...

At the moment for environments where I want a flash with me (especially now that I have a flashless 6D) but don't plan on using it much I use non-rechargable Energizer lithiums as they last forever & are about as light as AAs get.  They really help keep the weight down in the 270EXII so I never take it out of the bag to save weight.

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 09:54:29 PM »
Can't go wrong with Eneloops. I love mine.

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 09:56:05 PM »
Interesting thread.

I was always interested if the new PowerGenxi NiZn batteries would kill my 550EXs.  Evidently they recycle so fast they'll take a Nikon SB900 to thermal shutdown after 15 shots or so...

At the moment for environments where I want a flash with me (especially now that I have a flashless 6D) but don't plan on using it much I use non-rechargable Energizer lithiums as they last forever & are about as light as AAs get.  They really help keep the weight down in the 270EXII so I never take it out of the bag to save weight.

as long as they meet your needs for the price you want to pay, thats the main thing.  To me, weight is way down the list of priorities, below that of capacity, recycle time, and number of charge cycles.  The extraordinary shelf life of the 1.5v lithiums is evidence of a high internal resistance, which makes them good for emergency and occasional use, but probably not as regular workhorses.  It also explains the heat they generate during discharge.   Syl Arena, for example reports that Lithuims mis-fire more often during high-rate torture tests (full power pops) than other battery types. 

Chris_prophotographic

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 10:50:40 PM »
I seen SB900 shut down on a warm day let alone a cycle thermal trigger.

Seems the Eneloops XX it is
1D X, 7D, 70-200mm MK II, 24 L MK II, 35 L, 10-22, 40mm,  Samyang 8mm, 50 1.8 mk II, PW II's
PW III's , MultiMax's, TT5's 580 II's, SB-28's

astevenscr

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 11:53:25 PM »
What ones? the EX seem to promise fast Cycle times  while enloop say charged for a year. Other things to consider? please educate me as im going from throw always to 100% rechargeable.  about 64 batteries for PW's and 9 strobe

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/64-Pack-PowerEx-2700-mAh-AA-NiMH-Rechargeable-Batteries-with-Battery-Cases-Maha-/230766993195?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item35bac8df2b&_uhb=1#ht_6629wt_1398

seems like a good price but what do I know.

At first blush, seems like a decent price, but after you add in $43 for shipping, not so much - you're looking at $3.73 a battery. One place I really like shopping for rechargeable batteries (and chargers), after Amazon, is Thomas Distributing. There, you can get a four-pack of the newest version (not XX) of Eneloops for about $10, or you can get Imedions (I have had a batch of these for a couple of years with no complaint, seem about equivalent to the Eneloops for low discharge), or several other brands. You can also pick up one of several fairly inexpensive chargers (I strongly recommend that you get one that charges individual cells individually instead of in pairs). Finally, it's one of a few sites that has real NiMh C and D cells instead of just using an adapter with a AA cell.

It's possible to qualify for free shipping there (I'm not sure of all the requirements, but for an overall lower price than your link, go for ANY low-dischcarge battery. There's nothing like being on a trip with regular old NiMh batteries only to discover they don't have charge left because you forgot to charge them within the past month.

Even if you end up finding a better price elsewhere, I find the organization of the Thomas Distributing site to be very good: for example, grouping all low-discharge AA cells together.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:59:15 PM by astevenscr »
60d, 17-55mm 2.8, canon 100mm macro, canon 50mm 1.4, canon 70-200mm 2.8L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 11:53:25 PM »

notapro

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 12:06:12 AM »
I offer yet another endorsement for the Eneloop XX.  As others have written, use a charger that holds several batteries.  Currently, I'm using a Pearstone charger (model  AA-8LCD) that holds 8 batteries.

DBCdp

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 12:17:51 AM »
I started out with Eneloops some years back, made the switch to Imedions from Thomas Distributing. For me, the Imedion cells give more flashes per charge. I use an 8 bay MAHA charger and am very pleased.

Y'all do know that Panasonic bought out the Sanyo Eneloop and starting here pretty darn soon the battery is undergoing some changes. The Eneloop name will be there, but very small, carrying the Panasonic name. Not a big deal I guess along with the new packaging but the real issue is that Panasonic has large facilities in China that they will be delegating production of the new Eneloops to. So they won't be made in Japan anymore. This bit may be the killer for the Eneloop. Folks in the flashlight world are very disturbed by this, as they drive a flashlight very hard compared to the way we use a flash. Many more amps pulled for top power output and they are very worried the new cells won't take it.

To see what is being said, check it out here: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/19399

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 12:17:51 AM »