October 22, 2014, 09:55:19 PM

Author Topic: Frustrated with Canon  (Read 7918 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrated with Canon
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 09:41:31 AM »
Yesterday, he posted that he had already sold his equipment and is going to Nikon.

This sounds like a troll.

Yesterday, I said that I was running a dual system - both Canon and Nikon - which is what I have said again today. Isn't it possible to have an honest debate on this forum without being accused of being a troll ?

If it looks like a troll and sounds like one... There is no difference.
..... And my second system is Olympus....

I like smaller cameras for portability..... The 4/3 12-60 and 50-200 lenses are very nice chunks of glass. The OM-D E-M5 outperforms canon crop cameras... I do not see a canon crop camera that is enough of an improvement to upgrade my 60D.  This does not make me a troll, I'm just waiting for something good enough to justify spending money on and observing what happens elsewhere while I wait.

Canon will come out with a worthy upgrade to my camera sometime, and I will upgrade. Until then, I will take pictures with my old camera and try to improve my skills. And yes, I am also starting to get frustrated with the wait, and I doubt that I will see a 7D2 in the stores before Christmas 2013 ( please don't make it Christmas 2014).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:48:03 AM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 09:41:31 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 10:43:18 AM »
Go for Nikon if you want to.  Life is just like that.  You have to accept the good with the bad.  Soon it'll be Canon's turn.  :)

+1......I wanted FF sensor in P&S body, Canon doesn't have one yet. Therefore, I went with RX1.

Just buy the tool fits your needs, NOT the brand.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 10:53:03 AM »
Back to OP.

I, too, am disappointed in the Canon's choice of bodies.  While the 1Dx is undoubtedly a great camera, I shoot wildlife and would prefer to have an APS-H sensor. The extra reach is important to me (the 500mm F4 IS Mark 1 is a lot lighter than the 600mm Mark 1).

I wish they had new APS-H camera but I would not say they lost their way, rather that they have made some business decisions that is not best for me (but could be best for the company).

bigal1000

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 11:02:03 AM »
I'm frustrated with Nikon so I bought Canon

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 11:38:24 AM »
I, too, am disappointed in the Canon's choice of bodies.  While the 1Dx is undoubtedly a great camera, I shoot wildlife and would prefer to have an APS-H sensor. The extra reach is important to me (the 500mm F4 IS Mark 1 is a lot lighter than the 600mm Mark 1).

I find this interesting. A 1D X image cropped to APS-H framing will have as good (low ISO) or better (high ISO) IQ, with slightly fewer MP.  Comparing the 1D X to the 1DIV, the former has a faster frame rate, better metering and better AF.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 11:45:45 AM »
That's a rather unnecessary swipe at someone for shooting with a 1100D.

+1

It's not the tools that makes one a master  8)
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 12:24:32 PM »
There is no way u can tell if a picture was taken with a Canon or Nikon, sorry. The difference is not that huge like Nikon fanboys r telling themselves. Both cameras are good just choose the one that matches ur needs more than the other. Its quite simply actually....

Then you have not compared what you can do or not  with Nikon/Canon
I have done that, many times, I work with both.

You TOTALLY missed my point with your photos.  Your photos are nice, by the way, just very useless regarding what I was saying.  Everyone acts like when a new camera is released, the old ones go bad.  So can you please, if you want to use your photos by all means go ahead, explain to me how the release of the D800 makes the 1Ds Mark III suddenly a bad camera? 

The only reason people get upset is because they gotta have it, gotta have it, gotta have the newest coolest thingie!!!  The problem isn't with Canon or Nikon, it's with the people purchasing cameras with no real direction as to why they are purchasing that particular camera.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 12:24:32 PM »

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 12:26:56 PM »

I find this interesting. A 1D X image cropped to APS-H framing will have as good (low ISO) or better (high ISO) IQ, with slightly fewer MP.  Comparing the 1D X to the 1DIV, the former has a faster frame rate, better metering and better AF.

I experienced this myself and sold my 1D4.  The 1DX images cropped to the FOV of the 1D4 had better or at worst equal, IQ.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

tcmatthews

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 12:43:58 PM »
Yes but for completely different reasons.  I disagree with you quite a bit.  First I think they are covering the High end quite well.  The only thing they do not have covered is a high MP studio/landscape camera.  But who was even thinking that before the D800.  What Canon lacks in IQ it makes up in focus accuracy and ergonomics. 

No I am frustrated because I drove off into a ditch and destroyed my 60d not to mention the water damage to my truck.  I had to buy a replacement 60d, because there was no new crop sensor. The 6d was released one Month to late.  I went to Best Buy 5 days after the Nikon D600 was announced and there was one on display.  It seemed to focus with all of the speed of the Nex 3 whatever they had on display.  So I was not impressed.  I am frustrated by the slowness of Canon's new sensor developments.  The phase detection on sensor was promising but there was no real noticeable improvement in auto focus in live-view.  So what is the point if there is no improvement in live-view auto focus.

No the real frustration comes from the apparent lack in development of a new crop sensor line.  No development of better contrast Auto focus, for live view and P&S use.  No real interest in EVF or hybrid viewfinders.   As well as the general lack of innovative new products.  These lead to the EOS M being a laughing stock compered to the competition. Canon has not really shown any progress on the software side.  The current Olympus OM-D can pick the eye you want to focus on, right, left and nearest.   

Hopefully in the next couple of months Canon will announce their new sensor tech and it is much improved.  The time it is taking is my biggest concern.   It looks like it will be a few months before I can afford the 6d, and I really have no trips or events planned so I will wait until Canon announces the new sensor.  I hope it is not a long wait.  I hope the wait is justifiable instead of like the EOS M witch was such a disappointment I bought a  Sony Nex6. 
6D, 60D, Rebel XS, EF-S 15-85,  EF 70-200f4L, EF 100f2.8L,  Tamron 70-300VC,  Tamaron 28-75f2.8,   EF 40f2.8,  EF 50f1.8, EF 85f1.8, EF 24mmf2.8IS  EOS M 22f2, 18-55, EOS M-EF adapter, Nex6,  SEL50f18,  SEL1018,  DN 30f2.8, adpaters and Fd and M42 lens.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 12:54:57 PM »
I fell for the hype and bought a new D800 along with some top Nikon lenses.  The D800 does have amazing ISO, but it is very difficult to get the sharper images that it should be capable of.  In the end, when I could not find a lens competitive to the 100-400mmL, or 24-105mmL, I resold it and just used my Canon equipment.

If it weren't for the situation at the time with no high quality affordable long lenses, poor liveview, and excessive time to process the large files on my PC, I'd still have it.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 01:37:26 PM »
There is no way u can tell if a picture was taken with a Canon or Nikon, sorry. The difference is not that huge like Nikon fanboys r telling themselves. Both cameras are good just choose the one that matches ur needs more than the other. Its quite simply actually....
Says the Canon fanboy with his 1100D! ::) ..What are you even doing in this thread?

But seriously. I'm a happy owner of 5D3, 1DX and 8 L lenses, but even though I am heavily invested into Canon, I admit that Nikon has MUCH better sensor tech these days. I have used my Canon bodies side by side with the D800E, and the difference is like night and day, especially when shooting landscapes and other scenes with high contrast.

The resolution and dynamic range is nothing but amazing.

That said, I do preffer the ergonomics and handeling of Canon. And besides, Nikon has nothing on the Canon's TS-E lenses.

I would love to see these tests to educate myself. Can you pls help me with this? THX

David Hull

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 02:59:33 PM »
I'm frustrated with Nikon so I bought Canon

Ok, then... what was it that frustrated you with Nikon?

David Hull

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 03:03:35 PM »
Am I alone in feeling that Canon has, perhaps, lost its way at the top end of the market, albeit temporarily ?  The new top end models simply don't provide what I want. The EOS1DX is clearly a sports camera body, not a studio camera, and I resent Canon for trying to pretend that it is.

I've been with Canon now for years, having used their EOS film bodies before digital . Time spent with Nikon !DXs confirmed my view that Canon had far superior ergonomics, and five years ago, the Canon EOS1DS Mk III was a game changer. However, since then Canon seems to have lost touch with its professional customers. As a result, last year, I bought a Nikon ( D800E) which I currently run along side my Canon equipment. It is a fine camera. Nikon seems to have priced this camera very competitively indeed, and I gather that it is making large inroads into what should have been the preserve of the 5D3 market.

Now we're told that Canon have no intention of producing a higher MP camera until next year, and given Canon's habit of announcing cameras long before they actually become available, the reality could be some time after that.  By which time the Nikon D4X will be out.   

How frustrating. I want to stay with Canon, but they sure are making it difficult.

The only reason I'm still shooting canon is the prime lens selection is better and AF. That's about it.

Oh and Flash is better on canon now.

"Oh and Flash is better on canon now."

I absolutely agree with that.  I always admired the Nikon flash's ability to "just get it right" in the automatic modes.  What I find amazing with the 5DIII / 600EX combination I am using now is that I now have the same feelings about Canon.  I no longer have Nikon "ITTL Envy".  The new stuff just seems to work.  It may be in part due to improved metering in the 5DIII as well.  I used a 5DII / 580 setup before.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 03:03:35 PM »

tomscott

• 5D Mark III
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »
Sounds like handbags at 10 paces, keep it down girls.
5D MKIII 40D 17-55mm F2.8 IS 16-35mm F2.8 II L 24-70mm F2.8 L 24-105mm F4 IS L 100mm F2.8 IS L 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS L 50mm F1.8 2x Ex 580EX

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 03:22:04 PM »
Am I alone in feeling that Canon has, perhaps, lost its way at the top end of the market, albeit temporarily ?  The new top end models simply don't provide what I want. The EOS1DX is clearly a sports camera body, not a studio camera, and I resent Canon for trying to pretend that it is.

I've been with Canon now for years, having used their EOS film bodies before digital . Time spent with Nikon !DXs confirmed my view that Canon had far superior ergonomics, and five years ago, the Canon EOS1DS Mk III was a game changer. However, since then Canon seems to have lost touch with its professional customers. As a result, last year, I bought a Nikon ( D800E) which I currently run along side my Canon equipment. It is a fine camera. Nikon seems to have priced this camera very competitively indeed, and I gather that it is making large inroads into what should have been the preserve of the 5D3 market.

Now we're told that Canon have no intention of producing a higher MP camera until next year, and given Canon's habit of announcing cameras long before they actually become available, the reality could be some time after that.  By which time the Nikon D4X will be out.   

How frustrating. I want to stay with Canon, but they sure are making it difficult.

So what is wrong with your 1Ds3?  Is it now suddenly not a good camera?  Are your photos now suddenly bad?  If you want super high MP, go medium format.  So what's the problem?

Is there even such a thing as affordable medium format? Can get a Mamiya 645 for 500 euro, but the digital back and the lens cost a foot, a leg and the whole of the body and then some!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 03:22:04 PM »