Gear Talk > Lenses

Canon 24-70mmL II v Canon 50mmL 1.2

(1/5) > >>

gary:
Hi all,

I have recently sold a a 300mm L 2.8 IS and have some money burning a hole in my pocket. I have recently bought a Canon16-35L II with some of the proceeds and am now trying to make my mind up between the 24-70 and the 50L 1.2 Canon as a walk around lens with occasional use for portrait I have a 70-200L 2.8 II and a Macro 100L 2.8 IS, I use the lens on a 5D mkIII.

I have tried the 50L on the 5D III and it is fast and super sharp, I have read a lot of negative comments about this lens but my experience was very positive. I had a very short time with a 24-70 II at B&H today and it was a lovely lens. I am hoping that someone who has experience with both could give me the benefit of their experience so that I can make a decision.

Thanks   

Ewinter:
We'd need to know more about what kind of things you like to shoot, really

neuroanatomist:
I have no experience with either, but I very recently made that choice, and decided in favor of the 24-70 II. I believe it will be an excellent complement to the 70-200 II.

It's worth noting that I also have the 35L and 85L II, without fast primes in that range I may have decided differently. 

Eli:
Depends if you want superior low light & bokeh or sharpness & versatility.
Whilst the 24-70 is an amazing lens, I love my 50 1.2, it just feels great, looks great and sparks my creative love for photography, and also a lot more fun to use so it says on my 5d mkiii most of the time! :)
But if you don't plan to shoot below 2.8, get the 24-70 II :)

gary:
Ewinter
[We'd need to know more about what kind of things you like to shoot, really]

Nothing specific, yes I know that sounds vague, but I am looking for a lens that is versatile photographing what I see that takes my fancy, but which will also allow me to be creative

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version