July 23, 2014, 04:55:33 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-b Images Leak & a New Kit Lens  (Read 20995 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS-b Images Leak & a New Kit Lens
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2013, 09:13:17 AM »
Maybe Canon has a point, they know their fanboz love whatever they come out as long as it can mount ef lens

Hey, thanks. I just knew there was a reason Canon sells more dSLRs than anyone else, and you've just explained it - they count on their fanboy user base (all 200-300 of them here on CR) to maintain their decisive lead in the market.

And of course if you're a Canon fanboy then it is inconceivable for you to not be posting on CR.

Where else are people complaining about the letter "b" in the simple and benign name "EOS-b"? We only get that kind of crazy here on CR. :P
I think it is because the plan for the EOS-A didn't pan out.... It was to be a special Canadian version (EOS-A, pronounced as EOS-eh?) with improved cold weather performance, but after the design team froze to death, the project was scrapped.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2013, 09:13:17 AM »

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • M.R.S. = my initials! www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
I wish they would.  I opted for an Olympus OM-D instead of an EOS-M as a small walk-around camera. Despite the size, the sensor gives better IQ than Canon's 18MP offerings, plus you get usable AF, weather-sealing and a usable EVF. The downside is incompatibility with EOS lenses and a painful UI.

I don't consider that a downside, as using EF lenses with an adapter negates the small form factor anyway. That's one of the reasons I decided to go ahead and buy the NEX-6 since I couldn't care less if I'm using e-mount or EOS-M mount lenses.

Besides - apparently there is a really crazy adapter for using EF lenses on E-mount: http://www.eoshd.com/content/7141/metabones-ef-to-e-mount-adapter-for-sony-nex-review
5D3, 5D2, NEX-6 | SY14mm f/2.8, Ʃ20mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, Ʃ35mm f/1.4A, 50mm f/1.8 I, Ʃ50mm f/1.4 EX, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12mm f/2, Ʃ19mm & 30mm f/2.8 EX DN, 16-50 & 55-210 OSS | 2x FT-QL, AE-1P, FD(n) & FL primes

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2013, 12:47:40 PM »
Canon ought to be able to beat the Olympus with an M-series camera. The Nikon 1 shows that on-sensor phase-detect AF can be lightening fast, beating pure contrast based schemes.

Instead of rehashing budget DSLRs, Canon I wish that Canon would just fix the M-Series by fixing the AF, releasing more native lenses, updating the sensor, and providing at least an option for an EVF.

Agree 100%!

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2013, 12:55:33 PM »
I don't consider that a downside, as using EF lenses with an adapter negates the small form factor anyway. That's one of the reasons I decided to go ahead and buy the NEX-6 since I couldn't care less if I'm using e-mount or EOS-M mount lenses.

Besides - apparently there is a really crazy adapter for using EF lenses on E-mount:

I see that totally differently.  I want a really hi-end Canon mirrorless cam. If I want to go light an small, I would use it with a really compact foldable kit-zoom and/or a bunch of really good and really small EF-M pancake fixed focals.
When size and weight are less critical, I would want to use it with my existing hi-end EF/EF-S glass, using an original Canon adapter, that fully and natively supports any and all Canon mount-protocols issues  ... from AF to IS to ETTL-flash with distance information.   

The last thing on earth I would want is having to fiddle around with third-party lens adapters, that will never truly and fully support all of Canons totally proprietary lens mount protocol. And i certainly do not want to buy a Sony mirrorless cam. I greatly prefer the Canon UI, that I am am very familiar with.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2013, 01:30:52 PM »
Instead of rehashing budget DSLRs, Canon I wish that Canon would just fix the M-Series by fixing the AF, releasing more native lenses, updating the sensor, and providing at least an option for an EVF.

+100 if I could.  EOS-M needs more glass, vastly improved AF speed and a viewfinder.  That's what it needs to compete in mirrorless.

- A

Vagabondman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2013, 02:18:48 PM »
So basically the EOS-B is a smaller 700D? I was hoping the 700D would get the GPS & wifi of the 6D. What exactly did it get that will differentiate it from the 650D?

I have to say, Canons moves lately have perplexed me.

CanoSony

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2013, 04:06:43 PM »

Besides - apparently there is a really crazy adapter for using EF lenses on E-mount:

I see that totally differently.  I want a really hi-end Canon mirrorless cam. If I want to go light an small, I would use it with a really compact foldable kit-zoom and/or a bunch of really good and really small EF-M pancake fixed focals.
When size and weight are less critical, I would want to use it with my existing hi-end EF/EF-S glass, using an original Canon adapter, that fully and natively supports any and all Canon mount-protocols issues  ... from AF to IS to ETTL-flash with distance information.   

The last thing on earth I would want is having to fiddle around with third-party lens adapters, that will never truly and fully support all of Canons totally proprietary lens mount protocol. And i certainly do not want to buy a Sony mirrorless cam. I greatly prefer the Canon UI, that I am am very familiar with.

Meanwhile metabones has a. EOS to nex focal reducer to gain a stop of light and make your nex like a 35mm sensor. When will EOS m have this?

Also... Ettl... Might as well put your camera in auto

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2013, 04:06:43 PM »

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2013, 04:30:31 AM »
Meanwhile metabones has a. EOS to nex focal reducer to gain a stop of light and make your nex like a 35mm sensor. When will EOS m have this?

Yeah this is so cool it's hard not to want one :D

Although putting extra glass between the sensor and the lens is a bit iffy imho.
5D3, 5D2, NEX-6 | SY14mm f/2.8, Ʃ20mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, Ʃ35mm f/1.4A, 50mm f/1.8 I, Ʃ50mm f/1.4 EX, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12mm f/2, Ʃ19mm & 30mm f/2.8 EX DN, 16-50 & 55-210 OSS | 2x FT-QL, AE-1P, FD(n) & FL primes

M.ST

« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2013, 07:13:58 AM »
I don´t know what is going on.

An other Canon guy name the 100D (EOS B) now SL1.

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2013, 07:56:14 AM »
Meanwhile metabones has a. EOS to nex focal reducer to gain a stop of light and make your nex like a 35mm sensor.

Free lunch! Free FREE LUNCH!!!
ROFL ... hahaha!!!

I do not want a NEX. I do not want any Sony product as a matter of fact, even if it were given to me for free.
And the last thing I would want is a totally wacko third-party lens adapter with glass in it to reduce rechnical image quality. :-) 

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2013, 08:48:14 AM »
Meanwhile metabones has a. EOS to nex focal reducer to gain a stop of light and make your nex like a 35mm sensor.

ROFL ... hahaha!!!

I do not want a NEX. I do not want any Sony product as a matter of fact, even if it were given to me for free.
And the last thing I would want is a totally wacko third-party lens adapter with glass in it to reduce rechnical image quality. :-)

Don't you feel limited by these types of principles?  :-\

Kristofgss

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2013, 09:02:20 AM »
What's the point of this camera, just because they cannot release anything competitive in the mirrorless market, so they reduce the size and the weight of their dslr??
Actually, I had a mirrorless camera for a while (olympus) and found myself disliking the interface and lack of viewfinder so much that I got a 1000D for the smaller form and ability to use the lenses which weren on my 7D for all the occasions where you want to have a good camera with you, but can't be bothered to drag around the larger model. Let's face it, something which would fit in a coat pocket with the 40mm pancake without having to buy new lenses sounds very nice as a carry-everywhere body. I definitely see meself getting one of these.

baervan

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2013, 10:17:51 AM »
What's the point of this camera, just because they cannot release anything competitive in the mirrorless market, so they reduce the size and the weight of their dslr??
Actually, I had a mirrorless camera for a while (olympus) and found myself disliking the interface and lack of viewfinder so much that I got a 1000D for the smaller form and ability to use the lenses which weren on my 7D for all the occasions where you want to have a good camera with you, but can't be bothered to drag around the larger model. Let's face it, something which would fit in a coat pocket with the 40mm pancake without having to buy new lenses sounds very nice as a carry-everywhere body. I definitely see meself getting one of these.

I'd love a small camera with EF mount, that would be awesome, but this is not it for me. I have to say that very small DSLR are very ugly, this being the ugliest of all. I'm sure that it has the build quality of a Bic pen. If it had the smooth design of a NEX for example it would totally hit the spot and I think it would sell like crazy..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2013, 10:17:51 AM »

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »
FINALLY! I consider the EOS 100D/SL1 the camera that rebels should have been all along over the last 10 years!
It will probably sell extremely well, once initial price levels drop.

Unique advantages
* a DSLR finally "small and light enough" ... compared to m4/3, Sony-Nex and other ILC-systems
* optical viewfinder
* takes EF-S and EF- lenses natively without an adapter
* no loss of funcationality compared to T5i/700D - except articulated LCD

critical issues:
1. sensor / IQ - unknown, but I do not expect a major upgrade in that department (DR, Hi-ISO noise)
2. AF performance - unknown, but early hints (dpreview) are: AF-speed still sucks big time

Sidenote: looks like the lens mount/bayonet is made of plastics, rather then steel/metal?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:42:26 AM by AvTvM »

MarkII

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2013, 11:23:34 AM »
ROFL ... hahaha!!!
I don't understand this comment.

What the metabones adapter does is quite sensible. The image projected by a FF SLR lens covers (for example) 4x the area of a u4/3 sensor.  The adapter functions like a reverse-teleconverter, so that the entire FF image is reduced to cover the area of the smaller sensor. By all accounts (e.g. lens rentals) this works extremely well, even with the additional optic elements.

There is no "free-lunch". You are simply using all the light that the lens gathers, rather than throwing it - and the field of view - away.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2013, 11:23:34 AM »