September 30, 2014, 06:09:54 AM

Author Topic: Phottix Odins, monolights, and HSS  (Read 8083 times)

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
Re: Phottix Odins, monolights, and HSS
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 12:49:07 PM »

Not sure how much the variable voltage heads play a part, I think it is more the sensitivity of the digital components to brown outs.

Can't remember where I saw the technical paper and details, but after firing, the (and can't remember if it is current) the drop of power is just below the required steady power many of the digital strobes require.  Some may be better than others.

I have also see other people who have tried recycle tests with some of the Elinchroms and while they do o.k. at lower power, once they boost up closer to full power, after firing they will throw E4 errors

With my photogenics, they are designed to discharge when powered off or when the wattage is decreased, so what I would see with the 2500s would be a fire, half charge, discharge, then full charge and they would be ready... in short, they did not like the current drop. 

My guess with the Elinchrom power and why it is more expensive, it has a larger and better power inverter as well as not sure if the added in some capacitors, or just maintain more current and thus have a lower drop from a firing

More great info. Thanks for educating me :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 12:49:07 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 07:42:36 PM »
bowens are good because the modifiers are cheaper, i buy elinchrom to bowens adapters so i can use cheaper bowens modifiers (elinchrom stuff is a bit spendy)

Just curious where I can find good deals on Bowens light modifiers? Looking at the B&H site, a lot of the Bowens stuff is just as expensive and sometimes more expensive that the Elinchrom modifiers. Standard general purpose Bowens reflectors runs $60-$80, whereas similar Elinchrom reflectors run $40-$50. The $240 Bowens charges for a set of barndoors seems little silly, too.

I was leaning toward Bowens, but not too sure anymore.

I buy the meking brand off ebay (usually about half of what the elinchroms cost), great quality and much better prices
i've got a big octobox and 2 x 6' tall strip lights with grids, with these 2 strips setup sideways I'm pretty sure i could light a whole car with 2 lights ;)

I took a pic of my battery pack wiring i'll email it over, havent had a chance to get hold of the guy i know with bownes heads yet

how much can you get that 750w bowens head for?

I hit the wall with 1 x 400w in midday sun on the weekend, could have used more punch still worked great as fill with a beauty dish (also meking brand bowens mount)

http://stores.ebay.com/Meking-Equipments/_i.html?_nkw=soft box
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:47:01 PM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 12:30:55 AM »
I buy the meking brand off ebay (usually about half of what the elinchroms cost), great quality and much better prices
i've got a big octobox and 2 x 6' tall strip lights with grids, with these 2 strips setup sideways I'm pretty sure i could light a whole car with 2 lights ;)

I took a pic of my battery pack wiring i'll email it over, havent had a chance to get hold of the guy i know with bownes heads yet

how much can you get that 750w bowens head for?

I hit the wall with 1 x 400w in midday sun on the weekend, could have used more punch still worked great as fill with a beauty dish (also meking brand bowens mount)

http://stores.ebay.com/Meking-Equipments/_i.html?_nkw=soft box

Thanks for the tip on the Meking modifiers and the battery.

I found a line on some refurb'd Bowens 750 heads for $380 USD. As nice as HSS would be, if I can get enough juice out of the lights, then I can do what I want the old fashioned way with an ND grad filter and a boat load of power :)

That's got me thinking about the White Lightning 3200s (1320 ws). Precise color temp isn't that critical for my needs, and the WLs have a five year warranty. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:34:34 AM by V8Beast »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 01:11:45 AM »
i'll post up a couple of pics from the weekend using the elinchrom in HSS
you do lose power so its a bit of a trade off. Not really a problem in very low light or studio
but in mid day sun its a bit of an issue (however as i said before the ganglighting principle
works and works even better than it does with HSS on speedlights!)
APS-H Fanboy

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 01:54:35 AM »

Yes, please post pics! Would you happen to know if HSS also works with the Elinchrom 500BXRi and 600RX heads?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 01:56:38 AM by V8Beast »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 02:54:28 AM »

Yes, please post pics! Would you happen to know if HSS also works with the Elinchrom 500BXRi and 600RX heads?

I can test on the 500s but not sure if they have the 600s i'll have to check
APS-H Fanboy

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 06:59:26 PM »
here are a couple of shots
1 is 1/200 second and f10 i think
the other is f2 and 1/4000

both shot with the elinchrom 400w with 70cm beauty dish
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 06:59:26 PM »

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »
i just won't go away. Perhaps you know this already but for those of you following along at home, the old school way of using an ND filter to get your shutter speed down into your cameras real max synch speed is the more efficient method. It's just slower, and you need a proper ND filter. i know, you don't believe me. check with david at the "strobist", he's much more creditable than i am... me? i'm just some dude gaffer tapping 580s and 430s together on a light stand in full sun at a wedding...

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 08:05:36 PM »
here are a couple of shots
1 is 1/200 second and f10 i think
the other is f2 and 1/4000

both shot with the elinchrom 400w with 70cm beauty dish

Very cool! Thanks for posting these pics.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 08:32:31 PM »
Perhaps you know this already but for those of you following along at home, the old school way of using an ND filter to get your shutter speed down into your cameras real max synch speed is the more efficient method.

No argument here. Even so, if it's possible to HSS monolights and avoid the hassle of busting out the grad filters, I don't see how it hurts to at least explore that option.

It's just slower, and you need a proper ND filter. i know, you don't believe me. check with david at the "strobist", he's much more creditable than i am... me?

You mean to tell me you need a proper ND filter to use an ND filter? You don't say. What's next? Are you going to clue me in on how to turn on my camera :)?

what, if i may ask, are you up to that needs these shutter speeds?

My apologies for missing this query earlier in the thread, but to answer your question, this is why I'm in search of fast sync speeds:

These are NOT my images. They were clearly taken by someone more talented than myself :) Nevertheless, I would like to emulate a similar effect, where the ambient light is almost entirely defeated during the middle of the day when it's properly bright outside. You read right. These shots were taken during the middle of the day, not at night. Over-powering the ambient in this fashion, then throwing some light on the subject, can yield some dramatic results.

I agree that the best way to accomplish this is with some ND grads. I'd just like to explore the HSS option, if that's OK with you :)

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2013, 09:23:54 PM »
yeah you are definately gonna need more powerfull lights than my lil 400ws ones for that

although i do have 4 i should give it a go with ganglighting them. it would probably take 40 speedlights to put out that much power. in a ganglight setup with no modifier it would be delivering optimal power with no loss from the modifiers too

however i'm not sure how much of a problem that will be with shiny cars
Just dont have any time to think about allocating a day to playing with this
this month anyway

I just think its a cool feature
APS-H Fanboy

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2013, 09:34:32 PM »

These are NOT my images. They were clearly taken by someone more talented than myself :) Nevertheless, I would like to emulate a similar effect, where the ambient light is almost entirely defeated during the middle of the day when it's properly bright outside. You read right. These shots were taken during the middle of the day, not at night. Over-powering the ambient in this fashion, then throwing some light on the subject, can yield some dramatic results.

NO WAY!!!!

Those shots were taken during the day?  Shocking!

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 09:50:01 PM »
Someone loaded up on their smartass pills today. Did you and risc get a package discount or something?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 09:50:01 PM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2013, 10:42:57 PM »
Private thanks I'll take that as a compliment as i didnt want the flash blazingly obvious
bearing in mind this is the middle of the day with the sun directly overhead the shadows are hard and contrasty
I was trying to keep it all balanced and make it not look like i threw a ton of flash in there

could have used a reflector however the jetty is pretty narrow and not much room for an assistant to hold it
oh and also i didnt have an assistant :P
APS-H Fanboy

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2013, 10:49:50 PM »
The simplest way to do the cars is with a couple of speedlights, $125 550EX's would do the job. I know that is not the cool answer, or the answer to every situation, but it is true.

Are you sure? I light cars with 550EXs all the time. They work fine when there's little to no ambient and if you turn the ISO way up. During broad daylight, the Speedlights are good for fill light on small sections of a car for detail shots, and that's about it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2013, 10:49:50 PM »