July 29, 2014, 04:21:14 PM

Author Topic: 24-70Mk2 fell off my 5DMk3 and smashed  (Read 19671 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: 24-70Mk2 fell off my 5DMk3 and smashed
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 01:02:27 PM »
This reminds me - I need to have my new 24-70 II added to my list of insured gear (so I don't have to worry about 'financially how I can replace the lens and how soon'). 

Insure your gear, people!

FWIW, I did accidentally drop my 5DII due to an inadvertent press of the lens release...twice.  :(  I routinely carry body+lens from a BR strap, and with a heavy lens it's attached to the tripod collar.  The first time I added a 2x TC behind the lens, it changed the balance point such that as it hung at my hip, the lens release button was able to contact my belt. The first time, I thought I just hadn't mounted the lens securely. The second time (slow learning curve) it became apparent that it was the lens release.  Fortunately, the camera functioned fine after the drops, although when I redid the AFMA, all of the lens values had shifted by about 10 units.

I was going to comment that I hope his stuff was insured.

Just curious, how do you have your stuff insured? Is it covered under your home owners policy? Is there a separate type policy you have that covers damage to lenses/body/other photo equipment you buy?

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 01:02:27 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 01:09:22 PM »
Just curious, how do you have your stuff insured? Is it covered under your home owners policy? Is there a separate type policy you have that covers damage to lenses/body/other photo equipment you buy?

A separate policy from my homeowner's insurer (depends on the company - some write a separate policy, some use a rider on the primary policy).  I use State Farm, their Personal Articles policy is coverage for electronics, jewelry, art, etc., that exceeds the basic limits of a home policy.  No deductible, full replacement coverage, applies worldwide, covers loss, theft, damage, etc.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 01:22:26 PM »
Last night while shooting an event, my new (2 months old) 24-70 Mk2 FELL OFF MY 5DMk3 and smashed on a tile floor. I Googled this issue and a lot of people have had this happen. I never gave it much though, but the zoom ring puts my thumb ON TOP OF the lens release button while shooting. I must've hit it accidentally and then, when zooming, rotated the lens off the camera.  I tested it with my 16-35 (that I've shot with for years with no trouble) and the zoom ring is farther down the barrel, so it doesn't get bumped.  Is this a design flaw with the new 24-70 or am I doing doing something different from every other photog out there?  I am devastated.

It hurts.  Sorry for your lose

I had a TS-E fall of the ball head and hit the ground hard - split into two pieces. And this was the first day of my trip down the Dempster Highway in the Yukon.  No repair shops in the Yukon. 

Luckily I have my gear insured on my home owners so when I got home they replaced the lens for me - not the trip.  I think the rider costs around $1.25-1.50 per $100 of gear (not sure if this is correct).  Good things is that they insure against any loose, downside is that I need to list every last item.

DCM1024

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 01:36:04 PM »
I just took out a policy with Hill & Usher. Covers all my gear plus liability and e&o for business.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 01:38:34 PM »
I just took out a policy with Hill & Usher. Covers all my gear plus liability and e&o for business.

Good point. The homeowners type policies are generally cheaper, but cover only personal use. If you make money from your gear, and they find out, they will deny your claim.

EvilTed

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 02:02:54 PM »

A separate policy from my homeowner's insurer (depends on the company - some write a separate policy, some use a rider on the primary policy).  I use State Farm, their Personal Articles policy is coverage for electronics, jewelry, art, etc., that exceeds the basic limits of a home policy.  No deductible, full replacement coverage, applies worldwide, covers loss, theft, damage, etc.

Neuro,
How much extra are you paying for this?

Cheers

ET

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »
I pay $7.60 per year per $1K of covered gear.  As with all insurance, rates will vary based on your location.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 03:48:54 PM »
Sorry to hear that!

I almost had an accident with my 70-200 II once... Of course, after I mount a lens I always double check that it is locked. Just a habit. One time the 70-200 + extender was loose, and was quite close to letting go. A little heart attack there...

But my stuff is insured, so that is the only benefit if it did happen. Thankfully, it did not. Now I am even more careful. I even check routinely while shooting to make sure it is locked often. Just to be sure.

Jeremy

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 04:34:28 PM »
I had been shooting for over an hour, so it wasn't a mounting error.  If that was it, I'd just be mad at myself but I'd get over it.  I believe this is a design flaw as much as human error...or more likely a bad combo of the 2.  Even when I put my thumb solidly on the zoom ring, my thumb is only 1/2 inch from the release button.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 04:51:40 PM »

Good point. The homeowners type policies are generally cheaper, but cover only personal use. If you make money from your gear, and they find out, they will deny your claim.

Oh...I was about to ask abou that, so if you have a 'home business'...they won't cover anything used for $$ generation eh?

C

pierceography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 05:05:19 PM »
@pierceography   We must just hold the camera differently.  Not that I've ever thought about it until last night, but in looking at it now, I brace my thumb left against the body of the camera to steady it and zoom with my middle and pointer fingers.  My thumb doesn't move much.  And it's right on the lens release.  Testing it here at my desk, I'm having a hard time replicating it too.  As we all know, though, shooting at a job is a lot different than testing at home.

That must be a fairly unique way of holding your camera.  I'd probably recommend you try something different.  ;-)

I generally grip my camera with my thing and middle finger (left hand) around the zoom ring.  With such large hands, they the tip of my thumb and middle finger are about an inch apart on my 24-70mm ii.  I've never had a problem with accidentally hitting the lens release button, but after hearing your experience I'm probably going to be a little more conscious about it.

But we all have our quirks with how we hold our gear.  Myself, for instance -- I have the regular Canon strap around my neck, and when I'm not holding the camera to my eyes, I'll hold it with my left hand by the lens with the strap still around my neck.  Reason being that I'm overly paranoid about my lens bumping something, or even possibly detaching from the body.  This way, if that were ever (no matter how unlikely) to happen, the camera would be secured by the neck strap and the lens by my hand.  Yeah, I'm weird.

But seriously... A real bummer about your 24-70mm.  :-(
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 05:48:03 PM »
I've always found it a little bit flawed logic that the Memory card slot is almost bolted shut on the 1-series at least, but the lens release is just a big button to easily push.

Sorry for your loss man..
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 06:03:29 PM »
I generally grip my camera with my thing and middle finger (left hand) around the zoom ring...

Great. Now that's a mental image I wish I didn't have!
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 06:03:29 PM »

wayno

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 06:12:37 PM »
I dropped my cheapo Samyang 14 the other day - several feet onto brick pavers. Bulbous front element and all - not a dent or scratch. Still works perfectly. Sometimes small miracles happen. That however is no consolation to you. My condolences.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 06:56:24 PM »
I generally grip my camera with my thing and middle finger (left hand) around the zoom ring...

Great. Now that's a mental image I wish I didn't have!

LOL ;D
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 06:56:24 PM »