October 01, 2014, 08:26:20 AM

Author Topic: Love or Hate Canon Rumors Forum  (Read 7114 times)

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
Re: Love or Hate Canon Rumors Forum
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 07:36:06 PM »
  Most search engine features (if you bother to use a search feature) on a site or anywhere else are gonna return way too many search results that are gonna be difficult to narrow down to what you're looking for - and sometimes, you just don't know.  It's hit or miss. 

Can't find what your looking for? =  Start a new thread with (you guessed it) ...

yeah, the serach bar here is kind of useless.

And i agree with the other poster that ---it's just human nature.  I would only add that this does also happen in the real world too.  But as all things on the internet go, your anonymous so people will tend to act differently than they do in the real world.  I know I am kind of an exception to that here, as my handle is my real name...   8)

other than that, i find this place to be a fun visit in the down season, and when files are transferring, or when I am just seeking a means to procrastinate (but posts here are camera related, so it's not really procrastinating!!!!! LOL).

what I do find is that when I am in that phase of deciding on a potential purchase, this forum is a good place to seek advice, and the members here are usally pretty good at giving advice.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:39:07 PM by Chuck Alaimo »
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 07:36:06 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 07:46:53 PM »
There's an American singer called Gary Allan, line in one of his Songs goes "Life aint always Beautiful, but it's a Beautiful ride", I sort of feel that way about Canon Rumours, I first came to Canon Rumours looking for Helpful views on how to improve my Photography, and there's loads of that here, I also found that not only are there some exceptional Photographers posting there are some extremely talented and smart Technical people that post concise and very useful advice, so the Forum meets my expectations, yes, of course the negative fraternity are also well represented here as well, that's life when you have an open forum, not everyone on the Planet has a Positive view on life, these people's views & opinions are easily ignored, no one gives a crap what they think, hence their negative view on life.

Most of all I guess I get a good laugh from time to time, interspersed with some Gems of helpful knowledge.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 08:20:51 PM »
I just want to make a quick clarification. I didn't start this thread to suggest any change would or should occur. I just thought it might be entertaining and maybe cathartic for people to share their likes and dislikes. Obviously if you look at the number of posts I have you can see that I am hooked.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

yogi

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 08:25:34 PM »
The good, the bad, and the ugly. Informative, fun, funny. Not dull. Though not all the posts interest me, i can always find several that are interesting. And i do like hear the latest rumors.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »
But as all things on the internet go, your anonymous so people will tend to act differently than they do in the real world.  I know I am kind of an exception to that here, as my handle is my real name...   8)

And that is why I use my name. If I post something I am willing to stand behind it. If I am mistaken or wrong, I will admit it and/or appologize.

I have learned a lot from this forum and have gotten some great advice from it's members.
The best camera is the one in your hands

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 09:18:32 PM »
I've learnt a lot of information about my gear on this forum which would have been impossible otherwise. I live in India and out here pro level gear users are difficult to find and seek advice from.

As with every forum, you are bound to find posters here with obtuse behaviour who engage in name calling and back and forth arguing - there's a poster here who got flamed for using his 1dx for shooting only ... sports  :o.

But I guess as a regular poster you learn what discussions to get into and which to avoid.

I find that after engaging in a distasteful discussion, I usually avoid posting for a few days, but then I find myself coming back again :)
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 09:33:02 PM »
I like that this forum has a mix of different backgrounds: seasoned pros from various photographic fields, tech guys and scientists, gear heads, designers, artists, serious hobbyists and people just starting out.

At the end of the day photography is just another form of visual communication with no right and wrong. It's fun talking about the gear we use, but the end result is the only thing that matters.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 09:33:02 PM »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 09:54:46 PM »
But as all things on the internet go, your anonymous so people will tend to act differently than they do in the real world.  I know I am kind of an exception to that here, as my handle is my real name...   8)

And that is why I use my name. If I post something I am willing to stand behind it. If I am mistaken or wrong, I will admit it and/or appologize.

I have learned a lot from this forum and have gotten some great advice from it's members.

We are the minority here for sure, but proud we are, yes!
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 10:34:19 PM »
when I found canon rumors I was glad thinking people who use and love canon cameras & lens. it didn't take long to see I  was very wrong been thinking about leaving for  some time now. maybe go to Nikon rumors if they have one to find all the canon guys living there  since all the Nikon fan boys are here !!  really don't like the wild west attitude no one in charge trouble makers just keep coming back to screw things up for the few good guys here. I try not to read all the bull crap posts but there is so many most of them I think never even owned a camera . maybe I Should  cherry pick the posts more and not spend so much  time here and just have a look once in a wile for new gear rumors .      Gary
When things go south (or north - if you are an Aussie or a kiwi or... you get my drift...) I look at pictures shot by the great photogs on this forum. "Anything shot with a..." and others.

I have learned a lot on this forum. I also like the friendliness and humor. There are always going to be the PITA persons. Like someone said it is human nature - pity about that. However, all in all, my experience is more positive than negative.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 12:03:58 AM »
Good thread; thanks for starting it.

Overall, I don't take a forum like this seriously enough to get emotional one way or another. I suspect much of whatever conflict happens comes from people giving this more weight than it deserves.

I'm glad you mentioned the international aspect -- that's something I especially love. It gives me hope that maybe we humans actually do stand a chance of not blowing up the planet one day. Ordinary people talking to one another is far more useful than the grandstanding of heads of state. (And I still miss Brian and his banter with all of us. Hope he is well!)

One other thing I especially like is that it's not anonymous. The guy who runs this site is a real person with a family, and some of us know him to varying degrees. It's nice to know that anything we do here may contribute to the support of a genuinely nice guy. That's sort of a log-in-the-fireplace feeling to me, where many other forums/sites are cold and impersonal.

If this site went down, I'd REALLY miss it -- and I can't think of any other site I'd say that about.

Thanks for asking.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

pgsdeepak

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 12:12:32 AM »
i recently joined this forum. So far the experience is very positive and helpful. My transition from a Crop camera w/ decent Non L Lens user to a FF Camera with good (not the best) L lens user is almost fully based on the opinion and advices I received from this forum. The people who shares their opinion might be experts or not, who cares, most of them actually used the device or tried certain things or bought from a certain stores, whatever it is, there is a lot of good information being shared and it has definitely helped people like me. Many of the threads and responses are good intentional and fun. Ofcourse there are other threads like whining about new camera or lens releases which does not live up to expectations, or criticizing certain photo or photographer etc etc, for those and all, we can ignore if we are not interested or sit back and read and enjoy if we are interested or join the fun if we are really interested. After all its a forum, people can share opinion  ;D
-pgsdeepak-
5D Mark III, 40D, 24-105L, 17-40 L, 100mm Macro, 70-300mm L IS USM

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 12:19:29 AM »
Interesting thread and I agree with most of your points.

I do feel the website owners can make the site more mobile friendly, and I am not talking Taptalk (or whatever it is called). I am sure vbulletin or other forum software have got good mobile options. Even just adding larger or better navigation would help mobile users, especially those on smartphones (rather than tablets).

One thing I am not a big fan of is people that promote their own websites. I humbly believe that is what their signatures are for if they so desire to use them, and that is great. But threads that are about X and then suggest you to visit the site to learn more, or see the picture they are talking about, I feel is just advertising even if it can be interesting. With posts like that they should embed the picture into the post rather than trying to get humans and search engines to visit their site.

In the whole there seems to be a lot of nice people on these forums, I even considered contacting CR guy when he came to Vietnam, Thailand etc to see if he fancied a beer or two, but sometimes anonymity is useful and so did not bother.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 12:32:13 AM »

I used to have another user name that was sort of my initials, but have changed to a neutral one. I am using my real name on my Youtube channel which I have gotten to regret as I have been attacked personally by quite scary people (not a fun thing when you have a couple of young children, therefore I have decided to be more anonymous. By I have no problems standing behind my posts and are very willing to give up my identity  to anyone who asks for it.

Back to the OP, this forum has become a drug for me. I have learned so much over the last 18 months since I discovered it. It all started when I googled for Canon rumors on the 5D3 to see when it would be announced as I wanted to upgrade my 60D. I normally like the discussion here and find it to be a good combination of tech and photography. Occasionally I would like more of photography techniques but there are obviously other channels for that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 12:32:13 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 01:04:51 AM »
Do you consider your wife as a perfect "woman" in the world?

Love it and hate it, I visit CRs at least 5-10 a day. EVERYDAYS ;D
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

DCM1024

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 01:14:05 AM »
I have had both good and bad experiences on this forum.

Good experiences: many people have been helpful, especially Mt. Spokane & Neuro. Their help on selecting a shutter speed for a dove release at a wedding last year directly led to more people hiring me this year, because they liked that shot. I have also dealt with posters who have been rude & unkind. I try to ignore them. There have been times when others have complained to the moderators on my behalf and posts have been removed. I want this forum as a learning experience. Yes, I get get paid for work, but that doesn't mean I am the guru - I want to learn more, too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 01:14:05 AM »